The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » How do I get a book published as an unknown? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I am an entirely unknown magician, though I have created a number of very strong effects that are real life workers. I have published a four volume video set called the Visual Encyclopedia of Contact juggling, but that doesn't establish me as a magician. (and sales weren't great because it was too hard for the average viewer)
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a physical book published when you don't have a well known name, or even ways to get your name out there so people will be more inclined to purchase your book. I'm not sure about doing e-books, because they're too easy to pirate.
I could use any advice I can get, especially from those who have been there before.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Consider contributing one of your effects to Genii, MAGIC, Linking Ring etc. That will help establish name recognition and put your name on the radar.

On demand publishing Like Lulu should be considered as a cheaper way to proceed.

Publishing a hard cover book provides more ways of marketing and will give you a better profit margin but requires much higher initial investment My three books were published that way.

Larry Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Publish it on LULU. Send copies to all the Magic Magazines to review. Submit effects out of it to the magazines as well. Whenever a lecturer comes to town give them a copy. Send a copy to the Magic Castle and Magic Circle Libraries to include in their collections. After all of this you'll end up selling 50 copies. But you might find fame instead of fortune.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Don't publish it! Smile
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » How do I get a book published as an unknown? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL