The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Credit Vs. Connection » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
As a performer do you feel that you should get all the credit for the magic or mentalism effects you perform or do you think that connecting to the audience by allowing them to be part of the magic returns greater reward?
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1353 Posts

Profile of barts185
I feel that connecting with, and involving, the audience produces a much more personal, and stronger, experience for them.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Thank you for your feedback, Barts185. Have you tried both methods or have you always held the same viewpoint?
patrickmg
View Profile
New user
South Florida
57 Posts

Profile of patrickmg
I don't have experience in street magic, nor as a paid performer. But I always believed that you need to involve your audience. Beeing just a performer may creates wonders in the eye of kids, but for adult they all know that you are doing a trick. Making them part of that trick is always much more mystifying for them.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I think that can be done with children as well as adults. I think we can also get the adults to suspend their disbelief with proper presentation and effect structure to create something that feels "real" especially if they are in control of the decisions leading to the outcome.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2841 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Max, I agree with you about the suspension of belief.
A good book, movie, concert, play, or magic/mentalisim show does allow their intended audience to escape the harsh stresses we face in the real world.
If a magician is only doing effects to 'show off', the only one touched is the magician and the true moments of magic (leaving the daily issues behind for a few moments) are not experienced by the audience.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Well said, Wravyn. I do think that one can "show off" and still connect with the audience but they have to have a genuine likabilty factor. Otherwise, the audience will turn off very quickly.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2841 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Yes, I have seen some magicians that would ' show off' but that was a part of their character... Even before doing any magic, they had brought the character style into play. The audience grasped the character.
I have also meet some that their ego and 'I am better than you' attitudes take their amazment factors and turn them into puzzles.
But to go back to your question of 'should you get the credit for the magic'... without an audience, there is no magic, they are only tricks when done alone.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Yes, I agree. No audience does make for a very unexciting perfomance unless you have a great imagination! Smile
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Most of the so called Ego performers, bore me and many time I see there audience is board, no one likes a show off.
Legends in their own minds, lol

I feel as Max feels. In fact my performances these days are about my audience.
In the end my impact is much stronger through bein humble and having fun and allowing
my audience to shine along with me.

Ohh and Hi Max!!! Lol
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hey Renzo!

Great to see you here and thanks for sharing your thoughts as well my friend. Smile
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Hi Max

Glad to be here, looking forward to and interesting bunch of posts
:)
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Me too! Smile
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
In my experience as a performer AND an audience member, I prefer magic that tells a story, or tugs at the heartstrings. A good example for me is Kiki Tay's version of the Snowstorm. It tells a story, tugs at the heart and moves the audience.

I loved it so much that I got his permission to use it in my performances...but, of course, I switch it up a bit and add my own touch.

I think Copperfield is another Master of the storytelling style of magic.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I think a story can be told through the performance of the effect and not just the words. Each effect can be its own story, or the routine or show as a whole can tell a story through the effects that are chosen. A good story will make us laugh, reflect, cheer and may even make us cry. Depends on how deep the connection is to those you are entertaining.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I agree, Max. I didn't mean to imply that the story had to be vocalized. My floating rose routine was entirely to music, but told the story of a jilted lover...or in another case, the death of a loved one.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hi Mike,

In that case I completely agree with your original post,. Smile

Kind regards,
Max
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
In the example in my original post, of course, Kiki Tay DOES vocalize the story. In this case, I think it is wholly appropriate.

Not sure if you have ever seen the Copperfield version of the Linking Rings, but it is spectacular!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I will have to check it. Thanks for the heads up.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1353 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On 2012-12-17 14:15, Max Krause wrote:
Thank you for your feedback, Barts185. Have you tried both methods or have you always held the same viewpoint?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

I've always had that viewpoint when I started with mental effects, but I started with magic, which is what lead me to that viewpoint.

Magic that involves and engages the spectators has a much stronger effect, at least in my experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Credit Vs. Connection » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL