The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » GLANCE - one man's opinion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1042 Posts

Profile of sbays
These are hands down one of the best purchases ever for me. Truly excellent. And the price ... Wow! How could you NOT get these. Especially in a world where the BT cost is in the hundreds.

Vanishing inc is becoming a force to be reckoned with.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Definately going to be purchasing these early next year, I can't help but think that this would be PERFECT if it had more fo**e words. Oh well, I'll cope Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18200 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Eight is enough surely?!

mine has arrived - and I am impressed, in the uk however, the paper is different in most of our magazines - so I won't be swopping covers personally...in and around london in particular are A LOT of americans working over here, usually in the financial district in the centre of london and surrounding areas...

this looks just like any standard magazine of its kind (by that, I mean its not on the same kind of paper as the lad's mags as an example) - but for special interest, financial and a few other types of mags - this is great...

looking forward to using it soon...

remember the canasta book test clip? where he sends on book back because its a bit unsuitable? you could easily add that element/ruse to this by slipping in one of the uk's more b00b orientated magazines (loaded, nuts and so on)...

I'm also wondering if a sunday paper's magazine might work with GLANCE, will have a look tomorrow...

8.5/10 = will report back once I've used it under fire so to speak...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 07:32, IAIN wrote:
Eight is enough surely?!

mine has arrived - and I am impressed, in the uk however, the paper is different in most of our magazines - so I won't be swopping covers personally...in and around london in particular are A LOT of americans working over here, usually in the financial district in the centre of london and surrounding areas...

this looks just like any standard magazine of its kind (by that, I mean its not on the same kind of paper as the lad's mags as an example) - but for special interest, financial and a few other types of mags - this is great...

looking forward to using it soon...

remember the canasta book test clip? where he sends on book back because its a bit unsuitable? you could easily add that element/ruse to this by slipping in one of the uk's more b00b orientated magazines (loaded, nuts and so on)...

I'm also wondering if a sunday paper's magazine might work with GLANCE, will have a look tomorrow...

8.5/10 = will report back once I've used it under fire so to speak...

Iain - good info. I would also be curious as to which method you prefer to get the word. I'm a big fan of the 2nd method, and I'm also doing the main word reveal letters out of order...sometimes last letter first, middle, etc.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18200 Posts

Profile of IAIN
John riggs has an excellent method for using MOABT that works perfectly with this too... I think its on his secret writing dvd/lecture...
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Yes eight words IS enough. Obviously since it works it must be an acceptable number however maybe I will change my mind once I will receive the product. Eight words seems to me as though they must repeat too frequently. I just think it would be safer to guard against somebody doing a skim read and finding duplicates words since there are so few. Sure, it takes more time to learn twenty force words, but do you really believe that it wouldn't be better to have that safety net?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The articles are long and well written - no BS mumbo jumbo. The article are in the contect of the titles - and theere is enough fillier that they are not too close.

If someone starts jumping and reading paragraphs on a variety of pages... not good.

I try to have them select something fairly quickly and close the mag up.

So far I have not had a single magazine issue (pun intended).
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
Honest opinion Brett - Do you think it would be better with more force words?

I KNOW that this is a fantastic product and the second I got the email I knew I wanted it, so I am not asking about the quality of the product as I know it will be second to none.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18200 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I meant that you're not going to be doing this for the same people over and over again...so for a smallish magazine, eight is ample in my opinion...that was all!

be nice if they did an additional magazine just of covers though...different looks/designs etc...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 18:37, Jupiter47 wrote:
Honest opinion Brett - Do you think it would be better with more force words?

I KNOW that this is a fantastic product and the second I got the email I knew I wanted it, so I am not asking about the quality of the product as I know it will be second to none.

Honest opinion - just like the popular 1970's TV show...

EIGHT IS ENOUGH !

Covers are easy to change I ordered more Glance magazines last week too
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Anyone else gotten this? Feedback or reactions?
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
It's in the mail. I'm happy I can finally afford a LW-style word test. The liability to the purchase is I know something wonderful is now also within reach of the birthday clown I once heard was performing with the MOABT.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
This is great and my only advice is to pay the extra few dollars and get the 2 magazine version. Also, although the covers do look good, I would recommend changing them in the UK.

Best,
Sean
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Unlike books, magazines go out of date. Is not this a problem next year?
Who would use one year old magazines for a mindreading demonstration?
Am I missing something here?
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
623 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Change the cover to last month's issue. Voila. It really is a beautifully realized prop.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 13:17, bunkyhenry wrote:

The provided magazines avert this issue, by design.
If you were to change the covers, this might become an issue. However, this is easily handled with a simple comment, along the lines of:
"a few magazines that I 'borrowed' from my doctor's office..." or something to that effect. People are quite familiar with dated magazines in waiting rooms.

That said, I don't know that it's really an issue.
I perform a newspaper routine for which I use 5 different papers. I use to really fret about having newer papers for each performance, but it got both time consuming and costly.
So now, I use a variety of newspapers, some of which are quite dated. Because only the person on stage will actually see these and I give them more than enough in my direction to occupy their time and attention, I have never had an issue with newspapers that are over a year old (I do avoid headlines or photos that are too iconic).

e
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 13:17, bunkyhenry wrote:

Yes... Your missing something.

The provided covers (generic) are undated. Changing covers takes about 3 min per magazine if that's important to you.

So far in doing this well over 50 times in real world performances not a single person has cared about the date of the magazine.

Now let's talk about the INSIDES of The magazines - and as many who own this can confirm the look/read/feel exactly the way a spec expects.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Here is the review on Markerplace Of The Mind - same points or questions that others have made:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/glan.html

In future prinings perhaps Vanishing Inc can have the magazine cut 1/8" smaller so that the covers can fit without an extra trimming needed - that shouldn't be too tough.

Also, maybe they Josh Jay & Andi can change the ads on the covers from 2 page spreads to one page...? Why not?

My understanding is that Glance is selling like hot cakes, so if they do need to do another printing it might be wise to make these small but worthwhile improvements to kick Glance up a few notches from near to absolute perfection.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18200 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Oh something I should point out is that though the original covers are financially based - some of the content doesn't quite fit in with that overall continuity... and it would be nice to have less blocky images (if I'm being picky) and the layout could be more "liquid" for some articles...

be nice to have a UK version, printed on our usual paper...
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
I'm don't have this yet but wanted to mention two things that struck me as I read the different posts. I'm confused if the replacement Time covers are too small or if the magazine is. I get the impression that the magazine is and if so that should be an easy fix. If they are just off 1/8th of an inch then take it to Kinkos and have them use their guillotine style cutter and trim that 1/8th of an inch off the entire magazine in one cut. That small of an amount should not affect the margins of the magazine at all. And as far as the issue of the mismatched ads after changing covers, is it possible just to remove those other two pages (assuming that nothing would look out of place except for perhaps missing pages numbered 1 and 2)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » GLANCE - one man's opinion (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL