The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » JW grip - which parts of index finger to use ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
As the subject header indicates, I need a little help with the JW grip. I've studied a handful (no pun intended....) of vids, trying to see
exactly where the coin makes contact with 1) the top pad of the index finger, and 2) the bottom pad. Is it incorrect to use the natural fold
at the base of the finger (where the finger attaches to the palm) ? Of course, one thing this does is create quite a curled index finger; this
is eliminated by anchoring the coin midway on the bottom index finger pad.

Apologies for using what are probably incorrect references to parts of the hand!

Cheers
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Mule Henderson
I'd say it's not too important as long as the coin is held securely and is out of sight from the front. But, please slightly curl all of your other finger while in JW grip. I see so many people hold their fingers out straight or even just flipping the bird while holding the coin. This is not natural looking and could almost tell the spectator where the coin is hidden. So, think about just cupping all of your fingers just slightly and as long as that coin won't fall from its spot, you should be fine no matter how it pops into place.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Guys, Really? No concern for exposure here. TC had five posts! I'd be happy to PM you to help.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

I see what you mean Atom, but I also don't see enough info for there to be exposure of anything, for example procedures or aquitments for accomplishing the grip. We are purely talking about the position of a coin.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Good point. Just that the JW Grip is RARELY discussed here. Heck, it took me TWO YEARS to find the material / resources discussing it. I'm also hesitant about sharing our Art with someone with so few postings. Just the way I feel about it.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
It depends on two factors, IMO:

1) Size of the coin used, and

2) Size of your hands/fingers.

I have to use different "phalanges" - or the joints between them actually - for dollar coins vs. half dollar coins.

Tom - I don’t think that any muggles reading my post will know what the heck I'm talking about here!!

Thanks!

Jim
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Thanks J-Mac. Atom, I was unaware of the 'exposure' principle, and frankly I do not understand your concern. Would you feel better about discussing this if I had more posts ? I find that interesting, the concept that the number of posts influences whether or not one would expect an answer... just me I guess. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Don't worry CarpetShark.

It's the content of your posts, not the quantity.

But, be prepared to be judged here. People don't know your level of experience, so a high post count generally looks like you are experienced; a low post count looks like you are new, therefore inexperienced. From what I've seen though it just might represent the amount of free time some loser has instead of practicing or actually making a little cash using his "superior" knowledge of magic.
JLSchweitzer
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JLSchweitzer
For full disclosure I have a very low post count because I am new to coin magic. For what it's worth, the JW grip is discussed on Eric Jone's Metal #1. What I've learned or picked up through practice is that your finger configuration changes (curvature of finger) based upon where you grip your coin on your phlanges as J-mac sez. Also, retrieval of the coin can be made "easier" or more "difficult" based upon the coin location or grip. And to me, there is a balance between ease of retrieval and naturalness of finger position.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
M.V. has some very nice touches and thoughts on it. One of these thoughts is not to hold that position very long. Another thought is about motivation. For the touches, buy his work.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
J, First mention of JW Grip, in writing, that I'm aware of, can be found in a Horace Bennett book, as JW showed him. I don't know how anyone would be able to use a dollar-sized coin due to the nature of the grip. Fifty-cent sized coins work fine. Application is usually for Vanishes, displaying hand as if holding binoculars or giving an "okay" sign. Works nicely as a transitory sleight amonst other sleights or just to mix up things some. It is NOT hard to display a coin from JW Grip; all in your thumb movement. Bob Fitch is a HUGE advocate of this sleight. I've rarely NOT seen him use this in his coin routines! Ha! One of the best applications of JW Grip is a Spellbound handling by Mike Gallo you can find on one of the NYCMS DVDs. WORTH working on. Good luck!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nate Kranzo sells a video download called "Four Coins for Jimmy", a four coin production using this grip. Simple and quite easy (unless your hands are dry like mine!) but pretty effective to lay persons. I use it for a three coin production though - four always seems like one too many to me!

Jim
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Who's JW? Who's MV? I'm a card man! PM me. I've been into magic since 1965 so I'm sure at least one of these sets of initials will ring a bell.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Carpetshark. Once you have 50 posts you can go into "secret sessions" where more open secrets can be discussed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
JW is Jimmy Wilson.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 00:45, foolsnobody wrote:
Who's JW? Who's MV? I'm a card man! PM me. I've been into magic since 1965 so I'm sure at least one of these sets of initials will ring a bell.

JW is for Jimmy Wilson, the guy who created the move that has come to be known as the "JW Grip", back in the 1940's.

I don’t know who "M.V." is.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » JW grip - which parts of index finger to use ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL