The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Technology, does it make mentalists lazy? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Max, do you have any concern that the incredible electronic and software based tools and effects that are becoming much more prevalent in Mentalism, in particular, have led to a reduced skill set in performing mentalists? Of course, performance skills will always set the best apart, but I'm speaking about skills like billet switching, peeks, etc. What are your thoughts on this, as a creator of many fine effects?

John
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hey John,

Another good question!

I think that as a performing Mentalist there is a time and place for everything. I think it is important to have skills for when technology is not appropriate. I think that we as performers should use whatever is at our disposal to acheive the strongest effects possible on our audience and in some cases technology is a wonderful solution. I still highly recommend learning the basic foundations of Mentalism such as what is taught in 13 steps and you will find ways of creating the same effects without the help of technology.

I have created effects that are mechanical, software based (web, computer and apps), semi automatic, self working as well as requiring sleight of hand. I think it is best to be as well rounded as possible.

I think the use of technology can make one lazy if that is all you decide to employ, not to mention it limits the types of effects you can do, whereas having the additional background and knowledge leads to a more engaging ad complete performer. There are as many performers that refuse to use technolgy of any form as there are proponents of it. The bottom line is you have to look at what your goals are as a performer. I for one choose to go for the biggest bang possible no matter what the method is.

Best regards,
Max
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Thanks, Max. Your MBS system is the best. To me, this is a great example of technology that is behind the scenes. At a birthday dinner with friends this weekend, I borrowed a dollar, did a switch, then performed a truth/ lie reading of the serial number, which then was revealed to be my friend's birthdate. To say he was astonished is an understatement. The melding of technology (the MBS) with classic techniques (switches) really expands the range of possibilities available to the performer.

John
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
John,

That is an excellent combination of technology with.classical methods where the end result is a mindblower and the audience is none the wiser. I love M.B.S. combined with ENVELOPE'D and Unholey with a B.T.I.L. finish just to really hammer the nails in the coffin of deception! Smile

Best regards,
max
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2325 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Max: Great to see you here. Your material are perfect examples of not using technology just for its own sake but to gain significant theatrical advantage., especially when combined with classic technique. Looking forward seeing your next brainchild.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Christopher,

Thank you for stopping by and saying hello. It was great to see you at MINDvention. Thank you also for the kind words. It won't be too much longer until you will have that opportunity.

Kind regards,
Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Technology, does it make mentalists lazy? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL