The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape artist starting out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 06:08, dave_matkin wrote:
And if you're "cheeky" enough and get a pair of Hiatt "speedcuffs" with 4 screws you can remove the plastic central piece and put them over the S&W and they will pass as Hiatt Speedcuffs - (unless your audience member looking at them can read! - but it’s worth the risk in my mind). Or you could get a pair of Hiatts and S&W then you can use the Hiatts in the casing and the S&W separate!

Not a bad idea... But:

Double lock isn't accessible.

Older Smith and Wesson cuffs could work... But they would need the plastics packing a bit to make them rigid or appear rigid..

Quote:
On 2012-12-26 12:32, Harley Newman wrote:
How many audience members either know or care about a make or style of cuffs? I've never run into it, in about 40 years. Never.

Law Enforcement ? Collectors, Curious Audience members...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I suggest that the need to prove cuffs may have been appropriate for some EAs, a hundred years ago, simply because they were known as Handcuff Kings. Now, however, such proofs are a non-essential myth.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 16:50, Harley Newman wrote:
I suggest that the need to prove cuffs may have been appropriate for some EAs, a hundred years ago, simply because they were known as Handcuff Kings. Now, however, such proofs are a non-essential myth.

Hi Harley, one hundred years ago, smuggling keys was the trend. So many of the cuffs were real I don't think proving the cuff was an issue back then. Even now it's not an issue!!!!! It's not a myth, it's not a legend, it is not a fact, and no-one has to prove their escape. On youtube there are all forms of escapes, only about 20% I see as escapes, the rest are "just watch me!! things! I am in, now I am out. No thought, no skill, no practice. However, I feel an escape is more believable if you can by virtue of any equipment, allow it to be handled and in a manner which is plausible.
I make 4 variations of a swing thru "G" cuff and only one is truly examinable. But it's like driving a car; if you are trained with a manual (stick shift) you can drive all, if you only know how to drive an auto, that's it. It is a choice which broadens the capabilities.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
That's the first thing I check when I travel to other countries... the little legal things. Did you know in the British WVI it is illegal to wear camo print, even if it's pink?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
DavisG
View Profile
New user
Virginia
34 Posts

Profile of DavisG
"Double lock isn't accessible."

Wouldn't take much work with a drill and a file to make a slot for the double lock.

Handcuffs are taboo in the UAE (United Arab Emirites). I took some there on the way to Afghanistan (I was an international police officer at the time). My cuffs were held at the airport until I left.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Go with all of you on this one but for entertainment use I have found that Cuffs very seldom find their way into the show!! Reason being peeps tend to view things which are not common to them with some suspicion,,this was pointed out to me by Deval moons ago when he used to have to supply his own cuffs (In the guise that they were specky borrowed !!!!) To do his challenge escapes. The full whys and wherefores are put clearly in his littler papers and still apply today.

On the other hand Nick Jansen made a feature out of borrowing just cuffs alone, but he knew cuffs in and out and had a secret device which could get him out of every cuff !!! (This device was known as a C Gower !!!!).

When I have and do use any cuffs at all they are always gimmed or have keys hidden,,,ever since Halton Show when the local boys in Blue tried to kill me off. don't take chances with anything made of metal cos its tougher than flesh and bones.

Like Harley I have always worked the simple direct way, less complicated and safe (Cos its a job,,,right).

Ken
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
A wonk can help with that James.

The pair I am thinking about are the ones with 4 screws. Cunningly enough I haven't bought my cuff collection and screwdrivers with me visiting relatives. Sure my ADAs are in the car and a chain and padlock .... But it all my cuffs. I will do some photos when I get home.

Double lock not activated ...... What a shame Smile

Also I just realised I have a Hiatt chain Ada not S&W.

Any how have a good whatever!
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I am wondering what types of gaffed handcuffs which a volunteer would be unable to open but which I could quickly escape from are available and recommended. I have been doing some research and Ian McColl cuffs are clearly highly thought of but no longer available. Any suggestions and or sources of handcuffs would be appreciated. Thank you.
Eric.
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I purchased a pair of Smith & Wesson 100 handcuffs today and am awaiting the arrival of a clear cuff I purchased before experimenting with them in term of picking the locks. I have viewed several YouTube videos on escaping from double locked handcuffs using items such as bobby pins and paper clips. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about the best item to use to open the S&W handcuffs, other than the key or a commercial pick, as I don’t want to damage the cuffs by breaking something off in the lock mechanism. Helpful tips or suggestions would be appreciated by this novice escapologist. Thank you.
Eric.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is only my own opinion.

Be VERY careful with paper clips. When pressure is applied, they break and broken pieces can fall out (no problem) or get jammed up inside anywhere. (big problem) Almost any other pick mechanism will work out fine as it emulates the key. I do not know how many standard key openings a pair of handcuffs is manufactured to be able to handle, but it is a lot. My personal favorite pick is made from a safety pin.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you for the advice Cliffg37. I will exercise caution and avoid the paper clips.
Eric.
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
Erichoudini, Cliffg37 is correct. Be careful with paper clips, they do break.
Try spring steel wire like piano wire.
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thanks for the tip Nem.
Eric.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2012, james_unlimited wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-26 06:08, dave_matkin wrote:
And if you're "cheeky" enough and get a pair of Hiatt "speedcuffs" with 4 screws you can remove the plastic central piece and put them over the S&W and they will pass as Hiatt Speedcuffs - (unless your audience member looking at them can read! - but it’s worth the risk in my mind). Or you could get a pair of Hiatts and S&W then you can use the Hiatts in the casing and the S&W separate!

Not a bad idea... But:

Double lock isn't accessible.

Older Smith and Wesson cuffs could work... But they would need the plastics packing a bit to make them rigid or appear rigid..

Quote:
On 2012-12-26 12:32, Harley Newman wrote:
How many audience members either know or care about a make or style of cuffs? I've never run into it, in about 40 years. Never.

Law Enforcement ? Collectors, Curious Audience members...

Hi, James_unlimited if you read my original post I did make it clear that you needed the Speedcuffs with the FOUR (4) screws and not the ones with 2. They have a different plastic piece - it fits the chain snugly and holds it tight. If you put the ADA cuffs (or similar) in a Speedcuff plastic surround with 2 screws it won't work. The holes don't align and the cuff wobbles.

So feel free to get yourself a pair with 4 screws and enjoy the change to use "police issue" Speedcuffs that are actually ADAs in disguise. Smile

It works really well

Have a great weekend everyone.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:

Be VERY careful with paper clips. When pressure is applied, they break and broken pieces can fall out (no problem) or get jammed up inside anywhere. (big problem) Almost any other pick mechanism will work out fine as it emulates the key. I do not know how many standard key openings a pair of handcuffs is manufactured to be able to handle, but it is a lot. My personal favorite pick is made from a safety pin.

For me it is the little wire loop to bind the keys from cheap key rings. Most are strong enough, bend well, shape well and conveniently have a nice loop to slip onto your little finger to stop the dropsies. LOL I have always struggled with paperclips, I think we just have really cheap, bad ones here in South Africa.

As to having gimmicked over normal. I don't think it is a problem unless you have someone in the audience who truly knows their stuff and calls you out on it. You ca still deal with gimmicked in the same way as normal ones and at least have an out if things go wrong. In all my shows, I have had 2 people who actually knew handcuffs. Most have no clue. The closest the audience gets to handcuffs is movies (and fluffy ones. LOL).

As someone pointed out on here, try Ropes and Chains too. It is something that the audience knows and likes to work with. In some of my shows I gave a choice of Straitjacket, cuffs or Chains. Around 80% of the time the audience chose chains with locks.

You have more than enough people here who you can ask for help. There are great people here who know their Shizzle (as some youngsters would say).
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you Wolflock. I appreciate all your advice. All the best.
Eric.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, Wolflock wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:

Most have no clue. The closest the audience gets to handcuffs is movies (and fluffy ones. LOL).

You say that and I agree about the movies.... SO I am re-watching The Walking Dead. I've just finished season 6 and what did I see? Well Season 6 Ep 16 at the 28min and 28 seconds (ish) mark is a group of "walkers" chained together across a road. I am 99% sure that they have used a pair of "Electronic release" oval cuffs between two walkers. Made me smile..... nice to know they have zombie welfare at heart when filming this sort of program.

It really is good to see you here Wolf. Take care my friend and thanks for the advice about your (well South Africa's) weak and flimsy paper clips. Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, dave_matkin wrote:

You say that and I agree about the movies.... SO I am re-watching The Walking Dead. I've just finished season 6 and what did I see? Well Season 6 Ep 16 at the 28min and 28 seconds (ish) mark is a group of "walkers" chained together across a road. I am 99% sure that they have used a pair of "Electronic release" oval cuffs between two walkers. Made me smile..... nice to know they have zombie welfare at heart when filming this sort of program.

Oh Dude! Good Eye. I never noticed that before. Just went and watched that episode and section. Brilliant. That was funny as hell!
Wolflock
South Africa
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
Thank you Wolflock. I appreciate all your advice. All the best.
Eric.

You are most welcome.
Wolflock
South Africa
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 17, 2019, Wolflock wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, dave_matkin wrote:

Oh Dude! Good Eye. I never noticed that before. Just went and watched that episode and section. Brilliant. That was funny as hell!

I wonder why they did it? I've watched and re-watched and cant see them between any of the other zombies. I am wondering if it was down to the actors not wanting to get stuck on each other?

Speculation welcome... or do I need to start a new topic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape artist starting out (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL