The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Illusion Book for a Beginner Getting Into Stage Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hi everyone,

I have just about finished my subtrunk, and am looking for some new ideas on other beginner building illusions. I would like to buy an illusion book that does have some illusion plans in it I can build and construct from, but also information about finishing them, performing, painting, etc.

I ordered Paul Osborne's Illusion Systems—Book 1 a few days ago. I'm still waiting on it but do hope I'll get some good information out of it.

Any other good books or ideas that would help me out?

Also, the next illusion I would like to build is some kind of flashy appearance to start my show. I would like to have something that can be brought on stage, shown 360 degrees, and then have something like a sheet passed over the top of it and I rip it away. Is there an illusion like this that can also be used to vanish someone, but is pretty easy to build? Ideas or suggestions for illusion plans would be great (or PM me if it's an idea you do not want to post here).

Thanks!
Evan
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Don Wayne said in a very good MAGIC magazine article, that you should always wait to buy your appearance until the end. He asked, why spend all that money on something that's only going to play for a couple seconds on stage?

If you are just building your show, buy your illusions first. Then you can incorporate those into your show. And once you have a finished product, tack on that awesome appearance you want! Smile

I'm in the same position.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Interesting advice, thank you very much for it.

I guess my new question now, is what other illusions would be good and easy to build for someone like me. Names of illusions, illusion plans, anything! will be a ton of help.

Thanks,

Evan
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Temple of Benares has always been one of my favorites. Plays well and can be done surrounded. After that, go for a suspension that can be done in the round such as a sword suspension or broom.
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Evan,

Just sit down with a pad of paper and write down what your ideal show would have in it. (I.e- vanishes, productions, mutilations, etc.) And just see which one would be most practical for youright now. For your storage and your budget. This is also great advice from Don Wayne.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Thanks for all the advise guys.

I got my Illusion Systems Book One today and it is great! Tons of useful information.

Illusioneer, I have done what you have said and right now have the following goals for what to build and have perfected are:

- My next big project will be the illusion that interested me most in the book, the New Palanquin

- Next, I think I will look into some kind of levitation effect. Any advise for which one to go with? Also, is there a levitation that is not too hard to build? I would like to find some plans for a good levitation (maybe in one of the other Osborne books in the series I plan to get???)

- I have been working on a manipulation routine and I will include that as well. It mainly is card and candle manipulation.

- I would like to have one illusion that is on more the "creepy" side. Something along the lines of a chopper, cutting in half, mismade, something with swords, anything that seems extremly dangerous. Any ideas would be great!

Any ideas or advice for the above would be great!

Thanks,

Evan
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Well, I would definitely pitch the illusions that are most practical for you. Maybe a mutilation isn't quite ready to be thrown into your act NOW. I would invest first in something that can get you noticed. Like the levi. Who goes to say that with the right presentation..you couldn't get on the cover of your local newspaper. (it takes great pictures!) Right now, I'd advise you to work on your manipulation act! People LOVE those things! Try to get some publicity! Good luck man!
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Again some great ideas. I will take all of that into thought. Thanks!
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Glad I could help. Its good to post here because I'm in the process of building my own stage show, so I know what you're going through
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Illusion Book for a Beginner Getting Into Stage Shows (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL