The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A few random questions - Your input would be greatly appreciated. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I didn't really know what section to place this in, but I'm hoping I will get a good response from the readers in this section.

I have a few questions that I know don't have specific answers, but would like a few opinions from a few different people that I could use as a general guideline, so please your input is greatly appreciated.

I have my own theory's, but as I sit here writing out my new shows I'm working on, I figured some other insight might help me make some of these choices how I would like to structure these acts.

1. Is there a rule of thumb on when doing a private in home gig, what are some of the deciding factors that would determine if you should you choose to offer a close up show or a stand up parlor / living room style act? How many people, will the be sitting on couches? What other factors go into deciding what to offer to the client?

2. Is it ok to have some of the same effects in your parlor show that you also have in your stage show (Not exactly the same show, but just a few of the same effects)

3. Roughly how long should a close-up show, parlor show, and comedy stage show run in general?

4. What are peoples thoughts on having a close-up show that consists mostly of cards, and maybe 1 coin effect and one other non-card effect (do you think this is a bad thing due to lack of variety, or this is a good thing for holding more of a continuity thought the act?)

I may have a few more that I will add to this thread as time goes on.

Again, I appreciate any input on these issues. I hope more than a few people will chime with this their thoughts.

Much appreciated
-Derek
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1672 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I find a 15-25 min show of parlour type magic with all guests watching
-lots of comedy & the hosts also involved works really well...

I do a lot of well paid adult shows/40th & 50th etc in houses and this format works better as its quick,good material,
everyone has a good laugh & then carries on...

The format works better than strolling in a private home etc... also do effects that play in the round...

Cheers
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I have no idea if what I do is the right or wrong, but I will tell you what I do

1.) For home gigs it depends on the number of people and the age of the group. I did a formal close up show in a living room last Sunday for 10 adults in their late 20s early 30s. They all stood or sat around my table and I did my routine, packed up and headed out. If there were going to be closer to 20ish people I would have done the parlor show.

2.) Yes it’s ok but don’t make it the same show, Try to mix it up if you can.

3.) Close up show 15-30min Parlor show 30-40min Stage show 40-60min

4.) All card tricks to me would be very boring, I did only 3 card tricks in my close up show, all of
them were completely different plots, and presentations to get my audience to feel different emotions for each of them. (one was done to music) With so much good magic out there that does not use cards in any way shape or form, I strongly recommend broadening your horizons.

Like I said, This is only my artistic approach, and I am sure someone here will tell you differently.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Most times, people hire you after watching you doing strolling magic at the restaurant/bar. So they may be expecting you to do the same type of performance at their home. Also, most house parties are not hundreds of people.....usually 20-40 people.
When hired to do specifically strolling at these types of parties, almost always it turns out that after the second small group I approach....almost everyone at the party mills around, and you end up performing the rest of the time to the whole group. Not the optimum for strolling material.

What I suggest to the client is....a 20-30 minute stand up show which all watch at the same time. Then, after a 5-10 minute break, a 30 minute close up set (which everyone watches at the same time also). I found that the 5-10 minute break allows them to get another drink...go to the washroom...cleanse their pallette, so to speak. The close up set seems to satisfy the client because he/she hired you based on what they saw you do previously. They are expecting you to do some of the same material. They may have told their friends about the signed card that ends up in his wallet...and they may want to watch the reactions their friends get while you do the routine (which they know how it ends).

I hope that makes sense
patrick
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I have a different set or "bag of tricks" that I do for a formal close up show than I do for strolling, right now I am lucky enough to work a weekly gig that allows me to do both
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
My 2 cents!

Quote:
On 2012-12-20 06:36, Derek Castillo wrote:
I didn't really know what section to place this in, but I'm hoping I will get a good response from the readers in this section.

I have a few questions that I know don't have specific answers, but would like a few opinions from a few different people that I could use as a general guideline, so please your input is greatly appreciated.

I have my own theory's, but as I sit here writing out my new shows I'm working on, I figured some other insight might help me make some of these choices how I would like to structure these acts.

1. Is there a rule of thumb on when doing a private in home gig, what are some of the deciding factors that would determine if you should you choose to offer a close up show or a stand up parlor / living room style act? How many people, will the be sitting on couches? What other factors go into deciding what to offer to the client?

If the choices are between Walk-Around or a Parlour (in a house), I always go with Parlour. If only 2 people show up, I can still do my Parlour Show for the same length of time. It's also a more controlled environment (usually) - so I try and take advantage of that.

Quote:

2. Is it ok to have some of the same effects in your parlor show that you also have in your stage show (Not exactly the same show, but just a few of the same effects)

I hope so- because mine are exact! I spent years designing my show to play to either 2 people or 2000.

Quote:

3. Roughly how long should a close-up show, parlor show, and comedy stage show run in general?

I always book Walk Around as 1 or 2 hour gigs. And I find where I'm located, the attention span for a Parlour or Stage show, is about 30-1 hour. I've never been asked to do anything longer if I'm being booked. If you're putting on your own show at a theater, though, it's a different story.

Quote:

4. What are peoples thoughts on having a close-up show that consists mostly of cards, and maybe 1 coin effect and one other non-card effect (do you think this is a bad thing due to lack of variety, or this is a good thing for holding more of a continuity thought the act?)

I always believe in variety, but that's just me.

Quote:

Again, I appreciate any input on these issues. I hope more than a few people will chime with this their thoughts.

Much appreciated
-Derek

Gotta run! Sorry for the brevity in the replies but I'm late, lol!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-20 10:55, AndyLuka wrote:
I have no idea if what I do is the right or wrong, but I will tell you what I do

1.) For home gigs it depends on the number of people and the age of the group. I did a formal close up show in a living room last Sunday for 10 adults in their late 20s early 30s. They all stood or sat around my table and I did my routine, packed up and headed out. If there were going to be closer to 20ish people I would have done the parlor show.

2.) Yes it’s ok but don’t make it the same show, Try to mix it up if you can.

3.) Close up show 15-30min Parlor show 30-40min Stage show 40-60min

4.) All card tricks to me would be very boring, I did only 3 card tricks in my close up show, all of
them were completely different plots, and presentations to get my audience to feel different emotions for each of them. (one was done to music) With so much good magic out there that does not use cards in any way shape or form, I strongly recommend broadening your horizons.

Like I said, This is only my artistic approach, and I am sure someone here will tell you differently.

All very good points, thanks for your input, Its weird cus I do a lot of coinwork, but when I wrote out the new draft of my close up show it had like almost all card effects when I went back and re-read it.. kinda shocked myself. Ill have to keep tweaking it till it feels right.

Thanks!
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-20 14:17, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
My 2 cents!

Quote:
On 2012-12-20 06:36, Derek Castillo wrote:

If the choices are between Walk-Around or a Parlour (in a house), I always go with Parlour. If only 2 people show up, I can still do my Parlour Show for the same length of time. It's also a more controlled environment (usually) - so I try and take advantage of that.

Quote:

I hope so- because mine are exact! I spent years designing my show to play to either 2 people or 2000.

Quote:

I always book Walk Around as 1 or 2 hour gigs. And I find where I'm located, the attention span for a Parlour or Stage show, is about 30-1 hour. I've never been asked to do anything longer if I'm being booked. If you're putting on your own show at a theater, though, it's a different story.

Quote:

I always believe in variety, but that's just me.

Quote:

Much appreciated
-Derek

Gotta run! Sorry for the brevity in the replies but I'm late, lol!

~jamie

Jamie, Thanks for the input! I really appreciate you taking the time! Once your back on and have some time maybe you could clarify 1 things for me.

You answered my first question of if I should do a close-up show vs a Parlour show for an in home private gig. And it seems you answered strolling vs parlor. "If the choices are between Walk-Around or a Parlour (in a house), I always go with Parlour. If only 2 people show up, I can still do my Parlour Show for the same length of time. It's also a more controlled environment (usually) - so I try and take advantage of that."

Perhaps you could clarify on either offering a Formal Close-up show, vs a Parluor Show for this type of event. and what details may sway your choice on which you would offer to the client.

(wow iv been spelling parlour wrong this whole time, time to update Google spell check dictionary lol.)
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I understand that if I pitch a private show from a strolling gig then the new clients are going to want to see some of the same strolling material that they saw at the last gig. I usually warm everyone up by doing a few strolling effects right when I get there before I set up. Just to kinda get everyone in the mood, and get that "I wanna see the card come out of his wallet trick again" out of the way, prior to my show, also that gives everyone a chance to talk about the magic they just saw and amp themselves up a little while I set up for my parlor / family room / close-up or whatever show I'm doing.

Anything seem off par with that type of method?
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Also I am formatting my shows into these categories. Rather then Close-up, Parlour, and Stage. Its split into the fallowing.

Close-up - Obvious, a small close up show for a small amount of people.

Family Room magic - Where there might be just a few too many people for a close up show, or maybe they don't have enough chairs, people sitting on couches, or at weird angles, or I'm quite literally, in the middle of someones living room right in front of the tv because they want to sit on the couch. lol (I'm structuring this to be a packs small plays kinda big show that I can bring with me as a back up if the conditions aren't right for close up and any last min changes might have to be made.) - Because we all know what we discuss over the phone with clients ALWAYS works out perfect when you actually arrive there. Smile Even if you have a signed contact.

Parlour or Stage - This is going to be more like what Jamie has set up. It can play for 20 or 200. I'm structuring it so that I can do it in a comedy club, a big back yard outside with a pa system,(Which I am in the process of trying to find a battery operated wireless system that works well and is not expensive, So if anyone has some input on this also) or a full blown stage.(Maybe not 2000 people, but a bigger stage none the less) Banquet room, etc.

Strolling - Obvious again.. I am fallowing Jamie's rule of 9 for number of effects with a slight tweek (having a few small 1-offs, to show to the "special" people of the night if you catch my drift.) - Funny thing with the strolling as I first was structuring it, I usually had a lot of cards in my strolling sets, and I now have none. haha, and I usually had all coins and other things in my close up... and now its all cards.

As you can see I'm still in the process of restructuring everything. WHY? I had a life altering event happen, and I feel the change is needed to suit my new ways of thinking, and my theory I guess.. I dunno.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A few random questions - Your input would be greatly appreciated. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL