The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The "Jumping Gems" Hot Rod Set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Anyone have this set? Do you use it?

Do you have the "Flash Rod" that's supposed to be sold separately? Never seen that, and always wondered about it.

I'm looking for ideas for routines. Not routines, mind you, just ideas. Women like gems. My Hot Rods are the best for those occasions where ya gotta have something with "class".

Jumping Gems is ripe for new ideas. I guess I'm looking for a REASON why the gems come and go, change places, move and change color. Also, I'm looking for a different start to the thing. I'm having a bunch of "blanks" made up of the same acrylic (plexi), polished, and maybe do some custom work of my own, since I can't find the originator of this great trick.

I'd just like to know what that "Flash Rod" is, and maybe how to get one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've done a search, here and came up...(ready for this?)...blank. Smile

Doug
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Michael Skinner's premise was one of the best. The rods were piano keys given to him by Liberace. For the routine itself, he used J.G. Thompson's "Boy Meets Girl" patterline. It was a wonderful thing in his hands, but the sentiments and humor for the Thompson routine are a little out-of-date, and I doubt they would play well for you.

I published my take on these little plastic mysteries in my book Deceptions in Paradise/The Professional Close Up of Curtis Kam in which is related "a story of mirth and woe, your mirth and my woe," about how hard it is to please one's signifcant other once she knows you're a magician. (In my presentation, the rods are earrings.)

I believe the "Jumping Gems" is still credited to someone on the sets I bought years ago. I'm not sure how accurate the attribution is, but I think Ken Allen's name is on my sets.

I have also done this with a set of plastic chopsticks I found in a little store. They were for inserting in a woman's hair. They were black plastic inlaid with fake gems. What more could you ask for?

This is a very entertaining effect, and a stronger mystery than most people assume. The world would be a better place if we had more intelligent ways of approaching it.

I have seen a third rod included in some sets. Sometimes it's a "hot rod" and other times it's a rod that has one or two gems on one side, and is covered with gems on the other. Don't know whose addition this is.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have a set and never use them.
I think you've planted the thought in my brain.
Now I will have to dig them out.
Daniel Faith
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have the jumbo one. I use it occasionally.
TheMagical1
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of TheMagical1
Hey Dougini,
I love paddle tricks, as the Hot Rod was one of the tricks I bought at my first convention back in 1991. While I was in New York this summer I came across one paddle trick that I had never seen before, and have not been able to find another one like it. I would strongly recommended it as an alternative to the "Jumping Gems." It is very strong, and as such creates a huge impact!!
If you can find it?

Michael A.
Sleight of Mind:- "A Great Place to Stop for a Break from Reality!"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Michael!

I have several Hot Rods...all different types, black plastic, clear acrylic, even a "Varillium" metal set of two, but the "Jumping Gems" somehow appeals to me. Something about that red gem screams for something else, and I'm thinking of having some blanks made, 2 for the beginning, they're just sitting there, and people have been looking at them before you start.

For the other, I'm thinking of installing some red gems for the ending. Even have one with diamonds on both sides, and add to the routine (ala Mogar knives)...I don't know...the original set has no credit to the creator, nor does anyone locally know about the "Flash" rod that was available at one time, and it's mentioned in the instructions to see your dealer.

Dynamike, you have a JUMBO set??? Wow...missed that one. Must've been during my caveman period.

Doug
TheMagical1
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of TheMagical1
Hey Doug,
Quite a while ago at one of the first conventions I was at, the winner of the close-up competition had a lovely paddle set he used: an electric paddle with removable LEDs. He did the whole traffic light routine, and it was really good. He started with one LED (green), it changed to a red one with an off green one below it. Then he removed the red one and there was an orange one only, gave it a flick and he had three. It was also a very cool effect.

Michael A. Smile

P.S. If you know if this product is in production can you let me know who makes it and what it is called, please?
Sleight of Mind:- "A Great Place to Stop for a Break from Reality!"
Marien Hopman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Marien Hopman
I have been doing the "Jumping Gems" for about 25 years and it is always a winner. I would recommend the larger set if you get one. As far as patter is concerned, I have always used this patter:

"Have you ever seen these? (Show sticks blank on both sides holding one stick in each hand.) "Well, with security so tight at the border, international jewel smugglers are now using these smuggler sticks. All they have to do is wave it like this (produce diamond) and when going through customs they just make it disappear again like this. These smugglers are so good they can even make one diamond jump from one stick to the other, etc. As a matter of fact...they can have a diamond appear on both sides of the sticks, making a total of four diamonds. But do you know where these diamonds are from? Well, these were smuggled in from Italy, making them Italian diamonds. I can even make two diamonds jump on one stick. (Place sticks into fist and remove stick with a diamond on each end.) They get lonely and get together, and then they fight and jump apart, etc. (Put stick in pocket and switch for flash rod which has all 6 diamonds on one side.) The diamonds actually have personalities...if you say the word sex...this one will actually blush." (Turns red...doing the rotation twist move. It then goes back to clear, and finally vanishes altogether. Then put this stick away.) "Well, you know what happens when you take Mama and Papa diamond on a getaway weekend with a bottle of good wine...all the kids show up..."(show the side with all the diamonds).

This has always played very big. Then I say, "And a souvenir for you. (And you pretend to give out the last stick but vanish stick.) Too late!"

Hope you get a few ideas from this patter.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Marien, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Bravo!!

(Cutting and pasting into magic tips folder.)

A gracious THANK YOU!

Doug
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have a set of sticks created by a guy in Seattle in the 70's who called himself "Magic Mike." He's still around but I'm not sure how much he's doing or if these are still available.
They're called Magic Mike's Wizard Wands. Essentially they are a set of jumping gems, but they're made out of Indian rosewood. I love to do this trick. It does not need a premise or hokey patter to be effective. The set I have has 3 sticks, though the spectator only is aware of 2.
The routine:
A blank stick is shown
"A little stick of wood."
A diamond appears...
Then another,
Then two more,
Then they slide to one end of the stick
Another blank stick is shown
Two gems "jump" one at a time to 2nd stick
(put 1st stick away)
Slide gems to other end of stick
Gems change colors (yellow)
Gems change colors again (red)
First stick with 2 diamonds is brought back out
Tapped 3 times against the stick with the red gem
3 red gems appear
3 more makes 6
6 more on other side makes 12
Then all vanish...
"And all I have is a little stick of wood."

Beautiful wooden sticks... Gems apear, multiply, move, change color twice, multiply again and then vanish.
It's very strong magic.
Solomon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Solomon
Hey Curtis,
I'm a big fan of yours and a lot of my ideas are sprung from yours. I gotta meet you one day. I live in Seattle, WA, but I agree with everything you said. And to everyone else: yes, Curtis' books are the way to go for this type of material.
Smile Smile

Reed McClintock and I were discussing some variations on a culmination of a bizzare climax for this effect.
It went as follows:

The rod would shrink, change color and then become VERY large!
Tell me what you think, guys!
Smile Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Curtis,

Where can I get a copy of your book, Deceptions in Paradise/The Professional Close Up of Curtis Kam?

I have not heard of it before, and am very impressed with your post above. Creativity is the issue, and it's too good to just "do"...

Solomon...Great idea! See? This is what I'm talking about. Gotta check out that plastics place this payday.

When I can get my girlfriend (hates magic) to smile and say, "I like that one" I know I have a winner, but she thinks most "patter" is lame. That's why I'm looking for new ideas. She likes "pretty things," and the Hot Rod, Gem Busters, and Jumping Gems are her favorites.

Gotta head off to work, but I'll check in when I get home tonight! Thanks, guys!

Doug
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Doug, my book is still available from the published, Jerry Mentzer at Magic Methods, http://www.magicmethodsonline.com I think. You'll find within in it some pretty tough, but effective stuff, and one or two things that are relatively easy, technically speaking.

One of those things is "A Girl's Best Friend," which is a two-stick handling of Dick Zimmerman's "Slippery Stones" routine (see The Art of Close Up Magic by Ganson; I forget which volume) done with "Jumping Gems" sticks posing as disco earrings. I think you'll find the presentation useful. It's a storyline presentation that does not sound "cute" or "trite", which, IMHO, is the biggest shortcoming of many story-based patterlines. The intro line is something like "You probably don't realize how tough it is being a magician. Being able to do the impossible is a strain on long-term relationships--really. Like, I remember the last time I made the mistake of telling my girlfriend that I could really do all this stuff...."

I think your girlfriend will smile; mine did.

Solomon, thanks for the shout out. It's always good to hear from folks in Reed's part of the world. I have to get back there (I was in WA for a show about 8 years ago). I certainly would like to meet someone who's found something good in my material.

Regarding the bizarre ending, the question is, how big? I mean, I really like the idea of the gem rod becoming the Obelisk from 2001, or a doorway through which the performer exits, but that's a pain to reset (especially once you're left through the door). For everyday use, I like sticking to the black plastic look, ending with the stick changing into a jewel-encrusted 8-ball? Or maybe the sticks should not change or vanish, at all? It's all about the gems, not the sticks, after all. Actually, when I do it, it's mostly about the story.

Oh, here's an idea: End by showing one diamond at the end of a stick. A plain gold band is hung on the stick near the diamond. With a slight shake, the diamond vanishes from the stick and appears on the gold band, completing the ring.

My only concern is that the presentation is directed more towards adults, as are the props, since the gems are only glued into the rods. I'd like to approach this again, with a family-oriented presentation, done with rods sturdy enough for kids to examine.

Any ideas?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
After installing the gems in the plastic rods (countersunk), top off each gem with clear epoxy...hmmm...wonder if that would work. Gotta sink 'em in a tad to leave space for the epoxy, then polish (polishing wheel on a Dremel) flush...

Whaddaya think o' that? Smile

Doug
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Doug, how's about something that looks like pure, clean white plastic or ivory; maybe introduce as an antique something or other. The speccy is invited to touch it, and once he does, he is surprised to find that he has left a large, dark fingerprint on your antique. The situation is relieved when you magically try to clean off the fingerprint, only to cause it to double, jump from rod to rod, etc.

Yeah, how's about a set of minature porcelain "salt and pepper shakers" or "spice containers", okay, antique "opium sniffers"? Or, this could work really well with ornate chopsticks. Anyone care to manufacture?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
White plastic/Ivory...GREAT idea! I have Friday off, and plan to do some shoppin' around...that plastics place can make me darn near anything I can think of for a decent fee. Maybe they can make me some white ones...in fact I found a craft store (Michael's) that has BAGS full of those gems!

Stand by...more on the way (music builds up and under, and ends cold, with a stinger)!

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22177 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have been doing the Jumping Gems for 40 years, they are great. A full routine that flows. I always use the Flash Rod ending, then follow up with the gems prediction rod. Sometimes using a clear rod. That way you ask if they would like to see thru this trick, they always say, "yes". pull out the clear rod, have them pick a number, they end on a colored gem, and bam you change them all to that color.

Talk about a full close-up routine. Sorry, but I cannot think of the name of the prediction rod, and cannot look it up currently.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2003-11-09 13:42, Dougini wrote:
Anyone have this set? Do you use it?

Do you have the "Flash Rod" that's supposed to be sold separately? Never seen that, and always wondered about it.

Nice thread, Dougini!

I have a complete set of Jumping Gems, including the "flash" rod. I picked them up years ago in Kanter's Magic Shop in Philadelphia.

As far as patter goes, I just talk about going to a jewelery store to buy a pin or charm for my wife (you could substitute girlfriend, boyfriend, mother or significant other, as necessary). As I explain that the clerk kept showing me different gems (diamonds, rubies, emeralds) in different settings, and how I couldn't make up my mind, the Jumping Gems do their thing. Simple, easy and a big improvement over the usual (and boring) "Now on this end of the stick we have . . ." patter.

FYI, a very similar Jumping Gems set is now being offered by Ronjo. They sell the basic 2-paddle set, see http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......29601204 . The "flash" rod is sold separately, http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......29601205 The whole 3-paddle set would run about $20 with shipping, but would be well worth it if the quality is good. I don't have Ronjo's version and can't speak to the quality issue -- maybe someone else can fill us in on that.

This is certainly one of those "packs small, plays big" effects. It's also angle-proof and examinable, what more could anyone want? I carry the whole shebang in a fancy little pouch and it fits easily in a jacket pocket.

Because the Jumping Gems set uses both ends of each rod, I have always felt it is one of the best paddle-type tricks. In fact, I like it better than the Color-Changing Knives because you can get 3-4 changes out of one paddle instead of just one change with one knife, and no switching of paddles is necessary. Unlike a penknife, it's true that the jeweled paddles look like nothing you've ever seen before, but most people temporarily accept the explanation that they are pins or charms. The sleight needed for the trick is easy to master and is basically undetectable when done properly.

Thanks, Dougini, for discussing this classic. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Anybody have a source for a wooden set of jumping gems with the flash rod finaly? I use a wooden hot and love it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can get some really nice "alternative ivory" from places that sell knifemaking supplies. This should work for Jumping Gems. Personally, I really like the old Ken Allen ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The "Jumping Gems" Hot Rod Set (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL