The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The "Jumping Gems" Hot Rod Set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 16:15, wmhegbli wrote:
Jim Zachary is has passed, I did not know that. He also did beautiful coin boxes in brass dollar size. Is anyone carring on his line of boxes?

This was over a year ago, but I'm still wondering. The original poster mentioned Jack, not Jim. Can someone confirm whether Jim Zee is still with us?

You are right though, his coin boxes were beautiful.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 16:15, wmhegbli wrote:
So the mystery of the Jumping Gems continues. Who is manufacturing them? I see at the local magic shop, Stoner's Magic they have the trick and flash rod. I recently looked at them and they are not the good quality previously produced. They have rounded edges on the four sides and are available in regular size. To my knowledge the JUMBO size is not available.

Jim Zachary is has passed, I did not know that. He also did beautiful coin boxes in brass dollar size. Is anyone carring on his line of boxes?

William:

It was Jack Miller who had passed away, not Jim Zachary.

Jim Zachary was alive in July of 2005, which was at least 3 months after your post. I saw him at the Magic Circle Centenary in London, when he was in front of the crowd with Bob Read. So the report of his death is a bit premature.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2103 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I made 2 sets of my own from African black ebony wood. One set has diamonds and the other blood rubys. I've never been a fan of using Hot Rods, but the jumping gems is much different and a lot of fun to perform as well. I particulary like the Jack Miller routine.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree, the Jumping Gems set leaves most Hot Rods in the dust.

By the way, as far as I know, most Jumping Gems sets now come with two sticks, one of which has a diamond on one end and a ruby on the other. This allows you to show the stick completely blank, produce a diamond on each side, and then change the diamonds into rubies.

While that's very good, the older Jumping Gems sets also had an emerald on the same stick, so that you could then change the rubies to emeralds -- a great eye-popping kicker to the routine.

Does anyone know if anybody is still making Jumping Gems sets this way? I hope so -- it couldn't cost more than 25 cents to add that extra green stone, and it really makes a big difference in the overall effect of the trick.

I can always add the extra stone myself to my own set, but the Jumping Gems sets I sell are blister packed, so it's not really feasible to open them up, doctor the stick and then reseal them. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
The original Ken Allen set/routine did not have the additional green gem--the red "ruby" was the kicker and a powerful conclusion to an impressive routine--perhaps another step at this point would be anti-climatic?

Julie
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
It is true that sometimes less is better than more, and it's good to know when to stop. But having demonstrated and performed the Jumping Gems many times, I think the emerald does add to the routine.

My Jumping Gems set was purchased about 1965, included the green gem, and also included a THIRD stick which permitted you to start blank, produce a diamond on both sides, and then produce six rubies. Interestingly, I don't use the third stick all that often, as I find the two sticks alone are plenty. So your point is well taken. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
joey
View Profile
New user
montreal,canada
58 Posts

Profile of joey
I am interested in purchasing a a few new gembusters sets, I have gone through about 3 sets since 1979,
I just missed a set on ebay for abot 13.00 any way anyone who knows where to purchase new ones or anyone wanting
to part with a nice set, please let me know
Thanks
Joey
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Joey! Welcome to the Café! Gem Busters is another effect altogether. This is Gembusters:

http://magicfan.shop21.makeshop.jp/shopi......1342.jpg
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I just ordered a set from Stoner's. Also, Randi Rain makes them in pewter, and Michael Baker makes them in fine woods.

Doug
joey
View Profile
New user
montreal,canada
58 Posts

Profile of joey
Hi! Doug,
Thankyou very much for the nice welcome,
and also for the information.
Going to check it out
Joey
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Hello Jumping Gem lovers,
I have performed this (with Flashrod) for over 30 years. It is a treasure! I have bought more sets and replacement Flashrods
than any other close-up item. I have developed a routine and ending that has given me many great responses for years.

I have purchased and discarded the Ronjo and Stoner products simply because they are not exactly as the Jack Miller Product.
Michelle at Jack Miller has been extremely helpful in supplying me the regular style I use as well as making custom sets.
They are a wholesale supplier to stores, but Michelle said she would assist anyone that desired the Jack Miller sets and style or custom products.
http://www.jackmillermagic.com
I am going to try to video and upload my pet routine for anyone who may wish to use any or all of it. You're welcome.
regards,
Nala
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Alan! Smile

Joey, look here about halfway down:

http://www.jackmillermagic.com/products.html
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-02-07 12:51, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I have purchased and discarded the Ronjo and Stoner products simply because they are not exactly as the Jack Miller Product.

Hi Alan! The Stoner product IS the Jack Miller Jumping Gems and Flashrod! I just got mine today, and the Jack Miller Logo is all over the instructions and is printed on yellow paper, as the original! Smile

Doug
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Interesting, the set I received, the gems too small for good visibility,the red gem also, very hard to see. And on the Flashrod, 6 diamonds on one side,But! one at each end on the other,not good for my routine. The Jack miller set on the Flashrod 6 diamonds on one side, But 2 close together at one end of the other.

Michelle at Jack Miller has made me a Jumbo set. larger diamonds, more visivble.
Lucky you!! I had searched everywhere for any of the original sets.
You may find, like I, one set won't be enough! I have gone through many over the years.
Alan
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 14:23, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
The Jack Miller set on the Flashrod: 6 diamonds on one side, But 2 close together at one end of the other.

Yep! That's the one I got from Stoner's! Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, Randi Rain says she can make you a set out of Pewter! Ya might wanna PM her and ask.

Doug
marduk41162
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of marduk41162
I went a different direction. This:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......41840#18
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The "Jumping Gems" Hot Rod Set (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL