The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Examinable Gaffed 3 Fly (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1012 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@Sir Richard

Is it available as a video or print?
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of webtech
Here is the video performance of Bob Kohler's U3F...
http://youtu.be/nso32B8cxIA
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 10:25, shakuni wrote:
@Sir Richard

Is it available as a video or print?
It's on DVD. You'll have to contact Rob by email so here's his site: http://www.robthompson.com/ Click on "Contact" and you should be okay.. Good luck my friend!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
You could also get the flying tonight dvd which is a ton of three fly routines gaffed and ungaffed.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Someone selling one here with the coins and the vhs instructional tape.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&0
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Shakuni,
Sir Richard said it best, it's really all about entertaining them. Having been the Holiday Inn Magician for 6.5 years and doig a 3 fly several times a night either in the restaurant or at the bar, it's totally about the entertainment factor. My thoughts are, sorry you don't get to play with them toys. I finish one routine then quickly move to the next one in the routine of 3, I don't give them time to think about even asking to see the coins..
Hope this helps..maybe you need to start with a Scotch & Soda which is left in their hands to examine before trying a 3 Fly routine...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4275 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Just for discussion, my retro fly on volume one of the nycms DVD set uses an extra coin, but has a cleanup to finish that leaves you clean, no extra coin to be found, examinable, and will cost you two bucks for the coins, and the price of the dvd (or my lecture notes). Then you can use the three hundred bucks that you save on something more important.
Just a thought.
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9275 Posts

Profile of funsway
If you feel you must hand out the coins at the end of the effect, who says those coins must be the ones actually used?

In my favorite "hands never touch" 3Fly I use coins selected by spectators from a basket of many coins, then return the coins at the end. I switch in a TUC and out again during the transfer process.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I never allow a spectator to examine a prop, even if they could, even if it makes the effect stronger. Why? Prop examination is BORING. I'm trying to entertain them.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
So true bill.the effect should be enough.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8991 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 01:46, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 01:38, shakuni wrote:
Hi Sir,

It may be magician's guilt...

You think that the spectator feels you must have a fourth coin... and that is because most spectators DO suspect that you have a fourth coin! They surely know that you aren't making real magic happen. So they will suspect one of the two alternatives you seem to fear.

I don’t believe the answer is to look for an examinable gaff. Magicians have been deceiving and amazing spectators for centuries without having to resort to "examinable gaffs"! Creative routining, great sleight of hand, and careful audience management is how it is done.

To be honest it sounds like you might not be ready to perform a 3-Fly routine for people. Work on it some more first. Please! Smile

Jim

Shak, this is all about true enough from your side of it and Mac's, I'd say. And I would agree mores than not that you are over-thinking the effect a bit, and not being more actually familiar with it is getting the best of you. I still say that the best 3 Fly is Chris Kenner's original take on it, very simple and not hard to do with practice - a good place to start. Smile Certainly gaffs can help it be even more but at a price just for one effect. To each his own with all that but there are easier ways to skin a cat that takes a bit more work but well worth it in so many ways as Mac sorta mentions here. Don't let your mind control you, as what it is really doing is "challenging" you to use the things "within" you to achieve what you want. Smile

Here's how I get it done and never even entertain specs supposedly needing such closer examination as I believe they are too busy with the magic of it all. Smile And this all began with the basic 3 Fly and creatively grew into so much more, much as I did also along the way. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTF04vddfo
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Shakuni your way of thinking is totally wrong. You don't need an excellent coin gaff to hide your lack in sleight of hand.. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Learn the sleights that will make you do any trick in any place anytime.
Don't worry about the extra coin in any coin routine. Everything is clean at the end!! The only thing you need is practice..
Searching for the magic side of life...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8991 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-01-03 14:27, mago.niko wrote:
Shakuni your way of thinking is totally wrong. You don't need an excellent coin gaff to hide your lack in sleight of hand.. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Learn the sleights that will make you do any trick in any place anytime.
Don't worry about the extra coin in any coin routine. Everything is clean at the end!! The only thing you need is practice..

A little late getting back to this table, but I completely agree with my friend niko here.

See Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdMhOo6Ytw
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27183 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Rannie got the gaffus managed. You show three ordinary coins to start and after the transit you have three ordinary coins for them to look at. And two empty hands.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9275 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can always be Juan Tamariz, tell them that they had already examined the coins, and they believe you.

only partially kidding. There are approaches that allow spectators to handle coins in which they believe they have handled all of the coins. The concept of having spectators "examine" coins always feels wrong to me, while having them casually handle coins during a performance the most natural think in the world.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 03:35, funsway wrote:
There are approaches that allow spectators to handle coins in which they believe they have handled all of the coins. The concept of having spectators "examine" coins always feels wrong to me, while having them casually handle coins during a performance the most natural think in the world.

Perfectly stated, Ken!

Jim
tony555
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tony555
I agree with the statement "don't run when your not being chased"however, what I do after nearly all coin tricks is a false transfer of the coins from right hand to left hand and tell the spectator to check out the coins, when they hold out their hand, tap it with your empty hand.this gets a laugh,takes the heat off the coins, and further entertains them.
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
211 Posts

Profile of Jacques
I let people examine my coins often, not because I want them to check for gaffs or gimmicks, but rather because I use unusual coins (old Chinese coins, Korean amulets, counterfeits, etc). I use these topics in my patter. So, there is a motivation for them to take a closer look, and sometimes it gives me a nice misdirection moment. But this motivation is outside of the magic and its methodology. In fact, in our presentation of an effect, gaffs and gimmicks shouldn’t exist in the mind of the spectator. Then, why suggesting their existences by asking the spectators to verify if there is any of these tools? If you want to establish in the mind of your audience that your coins are real, find a motivation, a presentation that suggests that fact.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 10:57, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-03 14:27, mago.niko wrote:

A little late getting back to this table, but I completely agree with my friend niko here.

See Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdMhOo6Ytw

As usual, Mb brings a smile to my face.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
As someone whose performed both gaffed/non gaffed versions....I have to say the U3F is certainly one of the cleanest methods I've come across. You can hand out the coins in the beginning if you wanted to but I generally do not...don't really see the need. I simply display all 3 coins, perform the effect, show 3 coins in the end and you're done. Its worked for me anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Examinable Gaffed 3 Fly (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL