The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Found Tenyo Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Hi all,

I aquired a magic collectiion about 20 years ago and have recently decided to sell most of the items that are not being used. I can't seem to find to much information on a few Tenyo tricks and I was wondering if anyone on here could help (you all seem to have vast knowledge of Tenyo).

Some of the tricks I have been able to find a lot of information on were the Ultra Tube, Thunderstaff, Card frame, and the Time capsule.

I seem to have one extremely rare item as well, so rare that I can't even find a picture of it. It is the t-23 American flag Rainbow silk. However the instructions do not say exactly what came with it. I think I'm missing 2 pieces.

What I have is this. The box, gimmicked flag (red silk tied to flag on left, blue tied to flag on right) as pictured on the box this trick came in) and an extra red silk, also I have the instructions.

The other odd trick is the color changing flower. I have both pieces, and instructions. No box. What is odd about the instructions is that it is European (color is spelled colour). I can't seem to find a normal value for this either.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me about these tricks and their possible value. I will be selling this and the other tricks above on ebay in the next few weeks. I live in US.
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
I tried to upload pics but I can't seem to make it work. I have them available through email if someone would like to see them.

Thank you again!!
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Hello aguitardrew and welcome to the forum Smile

I have sent you a pm.

The first trick is probably the Rainbow Silk but the American Flag version.
The second trick is probably the Color Changing Flower or Twin Flower.

Both are used, without packaging and/or instructions. If they would be 'new, mint in package' they would be worth about 100 USD each imho.
Missing manuals, -packagings and especially -pieces of the trick dramatically lower the value I'm afraid.

David
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Stereo's site will provide you will all the information on your Tenyo items except pricing.
http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.com/p/comple......cks.html

The Ultra Tube is valuable, the other are not that valuable. Plus prices are really off right now.

With U.S. Flag Rainbow silks you should have (2) Flag Silks, (1) Red Silk, (1) Blue Silk, Metal TT. The Blue Silk is tied to one of the Flag Silks.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=258
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Color Changing Flower does have two pieces and the instructions do have "Colour" and the box has "Color"

For a trick like that it is all about the box. It would only interest collectors and they want a nice box.
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Thanks for your replies guys. It is very appreciated. I will be listing tricks on ebay in the coming few days and I'll post on here when I do in case anyone does need some of these items.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
So you don't let me time to reply your mail but I think you have now all informations you need.
John is true, the most important for collectors is the package and complete props.
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Sorry Stereo, I was just trying to get as many opinions as possible to get the best idea of what I have.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Killer/Stereo,

My suspicion is that aguitardrew was just trying to drum up interest in his ebay auction and used us for that end result.

We have seen that here before haven't we.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
We have already seen too hasty judgment also :op

Any way if this is the case it is dropped in the wrong place, Not easy to scam collectors, they are generally stronger in that game lol
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
That is a possibility indeed John, but perhaps there's actually nothing wrong with that per se. And he will find soon enough what tricks are worth when he puts them on Ebay Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
It would be illogical and unnecessary to raise interest in Tenyo auctions right among the most enthusiastic collectors around who watch the market anyway, so I don't buy this suspicion either.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I spent some time getting out my tricks to see what he was missing and posted it here.

I also send him a PM: "I responded to your questions in the thread. Are there other Tenyo tricks you have or did you list all that there is? John"

He read the PM but did not have the courtesy to respond.

He was too busy listing his Ultra Tube for $500 Buy it Now and his loose Card Frame for $200 Buy It Now. Both of which are ridiculous prices.

He had the Card Frame bundled with some other magic and he obviously did not know what it was. Someone must have pointed out that there was a Tenyo in his lot so he stopped the auction and re-listed what is probably a $25 item for $200 Buy it Now. A Ultra Tube without package for $500 is just as ridiculous.

If you remember there was another fellow who "dangled" Tenyo in front of us here on the Café but changed his mind about dealing with us directly and put the items on ebay at ridiculous prices. He didn't sell much of his stuff and eventually dropped off of ebay due to repeated auctions ending without bids.

As Killer said there is nothing wrong with what he did, but not taking a moment to respond to my PM was very rude and listing Tenyo at ridiculous prices is par for someone like this.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Lol I think the most funny it's that his auction are "restriction area" so I can't just see it.

I do not know if it's just for me or not but it not help to sell. He chose shipping to USA only?
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Hi all. I just wanted to take a minute to respond to some of your posts. I did thank everyone for their input, privately and on this forum. That being said. I was genuinely wondering if I had complete tricks etc in several of the cases. This is because there seems to be such a secret about these tricks that I could find it no where else on the web. No pics of my trick, no instructions, nothing. I did find some info on my own about several of the tricks and that's why I wasn't asking if I had a complete ultra tube etc.

That being said, is it a bad thing to not want to sell something I don't know about? I try to make my auctions on ebay as honest as possible because that's the type of person I am.

As for the prices I set. The beginning auction price on most of my stuff is just a bit higher than suggested by one of your memebers who was kind enough to help me out. (except the flag trick). And if people don't want to pay for it they surely don't have to.

I am surprised that people would accuse me of trying to drum up interest. I didn't even come back on and post that I had listed my tricks. Also, I see posts from the past on here that say "ultra tube alert" so it seems that you all drum up the interest regardless. In regards to your quote "Not easy to scam collectors, they are generally stronger in that game lol". I

Stereo, you cant see it probably because I'm only shipping to america. I know this hurts my selling price but I don't like ebays policies on international seller protection. Its that simple. Also In regards to your quote "Not easy to scam collectors, they are generally stronger in that game lol". I have no idea what scam I'm trying to pull here? I have tricks from a collection and I want to sell them???? I'm not sure what that was all about.

To those of you who were kind and helped out, thank you. It was very appreciated and I know you spent hard earned time doing so. I'm merely trying to figure out what I have and get top dollar for it as I would expect anyone to do in this day and age.

John, nobody pointed out that there was a tenyo in my lot. I realized it as I was going through my other tricks and searching for them on the web. After I realized what Tenyo even was I searched through everything I had to make sure I found any other Tenyo. The zig zag cigarrete is actually what tipped me off about what tenyo was. So in that regard I got lucky, because I probably would have put 20 bucks on that ultra tube if I didn't stumble upon this information. I'm not sure why this makes me a bad guy? Because I want to get as much as possible for something? John If you don't want to get full prices (fair market value)for your things when you sell them than I will gladly buy your entire collection for less than fair market value.

Again, thank you all for you help.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Sorry, I say scam, but it's because my bad english, so I use translator but I don't say you want scam anybody. I meant that, in general ( not you ), someone who wants to rip a collector would be hard.
I think we (me, killertweety and Nicolino) have been rather in your way to defend yourself. Everyone is free to do things as he wants.
I personally have no problem with the fact that everyone wants to sell his magic tricks at the best price, it is quite logical, and the market will regulate things if the prices are not appropriate.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
+1
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Thanks for your reply. And I completely agree. If I can sell it for that I would prefer. The market will no doubt decide. The only thing that decides what something is worth is what someone is ultimately willing to pay for it. That being said, I think my starting prices are pretty close to fair market (other then the flag) because I can't find any hard data on it. If not then they simply wont sell. I genuinely do appreciate everyone's help. And yes I meant to mention Nicolino before as well. His comment was well thought.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Aguitardrew,

On the U.S. Flag Rainbow Silks:

Besides missing one of the flag silks and missing the metal thumb tip and having small holes in a few places, ALSO, the instructions are not the same as what mine has.

My instructions say "U.S. Flag Rainbow Hanky" on the top not "Rainbow Hanky" as the yours does.

You wrote "I think my starting prices are pretty close to fair market (other then the flag) because I can't find any hard data on it."

Killertweety tells you above that it might be worth about $100 but since items are missing pieces it will be worth less.

You could also have asked me what I paid for my mint version ($75) if you were interested in pricing it fairly.

The standard version of the trick which is rare as well just sold for $42.56 on the auctions site and it was complete in a nice box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TENYO-T-23-RAINB......75.l2557

You asked for our expertise but chose to ignore it. Listing what you have for $400 is IMO ridiculous and a ripoff!

And I still do not know if you have any other Tenyo to sell besides what you asked about.

You wrote:
"John If you don't want to get full prices (fair market value)for your things when you sell them than I will gladly buy your entire collection for less than fair market value."

I sold my spare Ultra Tube for $225 with repro packaging to a member here on the forum. Well below the market value. I never though of putting it on ebay where I could have made more money. I was happy to help someone out and make decent money at the same time. I don't need to make the most out of every sale. I am happy to sell the items for more than what I paid for them but don't need to make a "killing" on them.
aguitardrew
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of aguitardrew
Well that is hard data (one sale). However I also read other forums where one person said it was their rarest trick (they have 170) tenyo. And don't even mention things like the ultra tube (which in some cases sells for 800 dollars according to this forum. If its a rip then surely nobody will buy it. That's the way economics works ( I have a business degree). Supply and demand. I don't think there is much supply of this trick around. It's not like I'm trying to sell someone gas on the side of the highway for 20 bucks a gallon and they are forced to buy it because they have to get home. that's a rip off. As for the instructions. I would venture to say that the ones I have came with it. The magic that I bought was from a magician and he kept everything very well organized and there was no other hanky trick. But I will update my Listing to mention that it may be the different instructions. If you read my ebay listing (and the quote I took from the above tenyo collector) he contacted tenyo and they don't even have any record of this trick being made, so I would say its quite possible that they mixed instructions around in the packages. Also depending on who you bought your trick from (collector, random person) it could have been a great deal and not reflective of market price. One item does not dictate what everything else is worth (even the same things). I paid (my dad) about a dollar a piece for Ultra tube, Magic card frame, changing flower, us hanky, crystal box, Zig Zag Cig, Thunderstaff, Time capsule, and coin fan. Does that mean that now all ultra tubes are worth a dollar?????? (that by the way was a list of my other tricks. (nothing to great besides the few already mentioned)

I'm not sure what repro packaging is, but I'm guessing reproduction. So if 225 is well below market value why are you blasting my price of 250???

You helped out a fellow collector. that's nice of you. I'm not a collector. My dad found a lot of these tricks from a magicians estate sale when I was a kid and bought the whole thing for me and my brother. We did some magic when we were kids and now he still does some (all slight of hand and no props) so there is no need to keep this stuff so I thought I would sell it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Found Tenyo Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL