The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The show-off and the grabber (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
akschulz
View Profile
New user
London, UK via Charlotte, NC
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
What would you like to know about my experience Danny? would it be helpful for me to be more specific?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 09:43, akschulz wrote:
Who ever said I do'that? And I've just spelled out my personal experience, again, beside the point. Plus you've already conceded the premise of my argument in your posts as you agree that doing a rabbit run for a bar crowd might not be the best "tool" to choose. So you agree that some tools are better suited to the situation than others.

Nope not in the least. I am saying that the right script can easily overcome this. But you read what you want it is ok.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
You seem to agree that some tools are better suited to situations than others. "Tools" meaning routines or plots. It's not the way I'm reading it, just the way you wrote it. But whatever. What is your performing experience then?
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I personally do everything I can to get an audience on my side before I start performing, one tactic I find works well with ladies and older people as well as the nicer side of the male population (not the manly man kind, which, by the way, is seperate from hecklers, these people wont heckle if you can genuinely entertain them with your magic) is to start my introduction by acting just a little bit shy, I don't act like I'm not confident in what I'm doing, but more like I'm new to performing in that kind of situation, almost like I'm not used to approaching strangers and I'm a little bit shy and confused on what to say, I include a lot of umms and uhhs in my introduction "hello, umm, how's everybody doing tonight? umm, my name is Gary, I'm a magician, I was hired to umm, pretty much entertain you while you wait for your meal. uhh, so if you wold ike, I could show you a little magic." this makes people think I'm new to what I'm doing and then they want me to suceed. They're on my side before I even begin the first effect! but I don't act insecure or shy during the effect, I make it clear to the spectators that magic is my "comfort zone" and that I'm completely confident in performing it, because I want to get them on my side by making them feel a little bit sorry for me, but then once they're on my side, quickly show them that I am a professional and I am good at what I do.

I rarely run into genuine hecklers, most people who want to sound intelligent at this point generally realize that making fun of this poor guy who's graciously over-came his fear in order to entertain us might not be the way to go. the most I normally get is a "I caught that one, but I'm not telling how it's done." which really translates into "I didn't catch that one, but I don't like people to think I don't understand something" and is often followed by another spectator telling them to shut up.

of course this wont work on all people, and probably works better because I'm only 18 and a lot of people who are older than me still view me as part of the younger generation. on people closer to my age and those manly man, no nonsense types, I act far more confident, like I've been doing it my entire life.

hecklers are like bombs, and I find it better to not let the bomb get planted, than to strap on a suit and try to defuse it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Gary, EXACTLY.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1438 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 16:59, Gary T. wrote:
hecklers are like bombs, and I find it better to not let the bomb get planted, than to strap on a suit and try to defuse it.

Totally agree!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 16:06, akschulz wrote:
What is your performing experience then?

If I recall correctly, Danny has some.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mine?

Ok I'll start if it loosens you up. I was 19 and was taught card tricks by Charlie Schulien. (Maybe you recognize the name. Matt Schuliens card under tablecloth and so forth.)

Worked there at Schuliens for over 10 years with guys like Heba and learned from guys like Don Alan and Jim Ryan. Worked a magic inc. With Jay Marshal hall for 10 years.

Have lots of experience beyond that but now it is your turn.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok a bit more.

I worked headlining comedy clubs for about 15 years, doing both the comedy magic show as well as the hypnosis show. Went to Key Largo for 3 years with the restaurant doing 7 nights a week. (More by accident than anything!.) A 5 star restaurant where apps were $55. Moved to Branson Missouri to do the hypnosis show. (Which lost HUGE MONEY.!!!! People stayed away in droves.)

Now I work with the largest resort chain in the Carribean.

In other words I spent the past 20 years of my life working more than 5 shows a week performing magic or hypnosis.

That is a brief synopsis of my performing experience. Feel free to let us in on yours.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
Sounds nice Danny. You're obviously a pro and have been for a while. I assume you working at Schuleins means you worked as a professional magician? If so, its nice to know that you have experience table-hopping cause on a google search of you I only found stuff about stage hypnotism and/or producing/booking work. I was hoping to find some of your work on the internet but was unsuccessful.

Me? I'm a small-timer comparatively. No big names to drop, including mine. I've been in magic since I can remember really and, other than the stuff I mentioned already, as a teenager I worked for 2 seasons as a roaming magician at Carowinds Theme Park in Charlotte NC. Hung around whatever magic scene I had available to me in the area and got to see some nice lectures and perform at some magic contests. I developed a stage duo show with my friend and we made a small run of being pros at that for a few years before we decided to part ways. I stopped taking magic seriously as a profession at about 20 yrs old until I got the bug to perform and be creative again about 5-6 yrs ago (I'm 37 now). Recently, as I mentioned, I'm performing at South Bank here in London and have been doing some table-hopping/roaming magic for professional gigs in the city. And incidentally my old stuff is on the internet if anyone feels like taking a look and or having a laugh (at me I would assume). I recently digitized old VHS tapes and edited together a mash-up of the routines my friend and I had put together way back when. It is here: http://youtu.be/yNWq2Hs56Zw

I still feel like the subject is of value and if you (you all) agree, that's great. If not that's fine too of course. I've made the points I think I can make on the matter. If you think that what I've had to say is due to my lack experience in some way then, although I feel you've missed the point, that's the way it goes. I may have demonstrated more stubbornness than I intended to in any case. With that in mind, I'll leave well enough alone.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So what you have said is you are pretty much new.

Not a big deal. The beauty of it is as you go along you gain more experience! Nobody started by knowing everything they needed.

Your question has been answered in this thread and there is a LOT of fantastic information here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
You don't like to answer questions do you?
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
In case it matters to anyone, this is not a game of who has more experience. As Danny has pointed out in other posts of his, you can have lots and lots of experience, all of which reinforces bad habits. This has little or nothing to do with the subject. In any case, I make the following claim(or "clam" if your keyboard sticks like mine):

1. the CONTENT of our performance is relevant to the FORM of our performance

This applies to any performance, whether magic or not, and it's as general as I can get it. It seems many have wanted to say it is the form, the presentation which is most important. I say the content is relevant as well. Do you disagree?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think you should try to use terms that have been agreed upon by people rather than trying to apply your own terms and make up what they mean.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
Such as?
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
"form" and "content" are certainly not my own terms
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is content and form?

By CONTENT do you mean the script or the actual tricks themselves or what? By form do you mean the routining or the style which you want to do them or what?

Try using words everyone is familiar with that have actual meaning in the industry. Then we can agree or disagree with what it is you are saying. When you just substitute words like those, or STRUCTURE for script I personally get confused.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 16:48, akschulz wrote:
"form" and "content" are certainly not my own terms

As you have applied them here they certainly are.

If you are not familiar with the right terms, this is ok. There are some books to read that will help you with this. But don't be shocked when people have trouble trying to help you when you are using terms wrong. It is confusing.

I have tried.

My donkey and I are going to find the nearest windmill. Or as you may put it, my mule and I are going to find the nearest oil rig.

I wish you the best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
akschulz
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
You are not familiar with the classic debate about form and content?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes that is the problem. I am not familiar with that. (Read that as sarcasam.)

Have a good one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The show-off and the grabber (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL