The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Creating- What to put out? What to throw away? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1958 Posts

Profile of Platt
Hey Max, as somebody constantly creating, how do you decide when to move forward with an idea or prototype and when to shelve it? What's the criteria for you? Real world reaction? Practicality? Will it sell? And what are your feelings about the magician's (actually just one) who puts a new trick out and hypes it seemingly every other day, disregarding quality?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Hey Brian!

Thanks for chiming in here. I guess I base my decision to try and market something on several factors.

1. Is it something than I can create for myself and still make it an effect that other performers can take and make their own?

2. If I were a layman would this be interesting to me in any way shape or form? Is the premise intriguing enough?

3. Is the method practical and organic?

4. Can the effect create an emotional connection with my audience?

Usually this is where I will either start working on a prototype and once I have a version that is workable then I will test it out on as many laymen friends as possible and get their feedback. I also have a small circle of trusted performers thast I discuss things with as well. If it plays strongly and the reactions are positive then I continue to see how I can make it better and better with each performance.

If the reactions are less than favorable then I will try and make adjustments to see if it can be made better and more interesting and if after several attemps the reactions are still the same then I walk away from it. That does not mean I may not get back to it later but I just felt that I had done enough at that time to make it work. I would rather let it go and try and move onto something else that is better received.

As far as whether or not something sells, I create all of my effects for my own shows. So, first and foremost that is my end goal. I then put the effects out there for others to use and price them based on what I feel they are worth to me if I was to buy them myself. I don't price my stuff to be competive with others I price my stuff to give value and hopefully the security of knowing when you purchase an effect from me it is something that I use in my own performances every day and was designed for maximum impact and return on your investment. To me that is paramount. I have people tell me all the time that my stuff is too expensive and others that say it is way underpriced so knowing that I have that polarity I am doing the right thing. I would love for everyone to use my effects but I will not devalue my work just to fit in with everyone else. I think there is something to be said about sticking with your beliefs and giving everything you have into the products you do make commercial.

I am also there almost 24/7 to make sure that anything you are interested in purchasing from me or have purchased from me gets whatever attention you need to make an informed buying decision or to help you present it in the best possible manner for you.

In regards to a magician that release products that are unfinished, half baked, impractical, knock offs or so called "improvements" of others ideas without permission, just to say they have an effect out there or to put a few dollars in their pocket I ask them to think about how they would feel if they had spent their hard earned money on the effect they are marketing and would they be happy with what they received. If the answer is negative then they shouldn't be releasing it in the first place. If the answer is positive and it is still any of the above reasons then they need to find people who can be more honest in regards to the feedback they get on their creations or they just don't care. I think bad products hurt us all; buyers and sellers and by the way a demo video is not always the answer since that too can be manipulated to show the best possible outcome. This was the reason I have always offered to demonstrate any effect that I market live so people can see exactly what they are getting before they part with their hard earned money.

Lastly, I applaud you and your dad for always taking the time to make sure the products you put out there are really well thought out, priced extremely well and truly unique. All the best to you my friend for the holiday season. Looking forward to hanging out again soon.

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2012 entrée: Max Krause » » Creating- What to put out? What to throw away? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL