The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » After They Name The Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
What psychological subtleties you use after they name the card they though? I mean, in this effect for example, spectator think on a card, name it and that card appears on the top of the deck,apparently without the magician doing nothing.
After they name the card our work starts. I've been studying the way Juan Tamariz do it, and he uses various subtleties. The first, sometimes he pretends he does not hear well the name of the card, so he ask again '' what card? '' and when they answer the deck it's on the table, everything is done. A similar estrategy is he asks to name the card, and at the moment the spectator answer he turns to another espectator, on his left or right and talks to him, just a brief statement or question creating the impression that not heard the answer. Very clever

Other thing he do and I've been playing with is, when they name the card they though, for example the 6 of hearts, he asks if the spectator don't want the 3 of hearts instead, it's a better card, ''not the 3 of hearts, it's a great card but you don't want it, don't want change your mind?''. Latter moments before the effect occur he remember the spectator '' I asked if you wanted to choose other card but you wouldn't, right?'' And they will agree. Look very well the difference between the questions.He could have asked '' you don't want to choose other card?
He don't but that's what they will remember.

Now, I know most of you do Mnemonicosis, I I've been practicing it in the last month, yesterday fool a magician with it, he name the 2 of hearts, deck on the table, I said '' you don't want the 5 of hearts instead?So, you don't want to change your mind?'' No, he said. ''Alright tell me a small number'' and he ''2 '' , let's recapp, you choose a card, I ask if you want to choose another card, you said no, right? And he , ''yeah, that's right'' , I ask you a number and you could have chosen another number, right? And he ''yes'' , ok, so 2 of hearts , number 2, count 2 cards and BAM, here's it. LOL
Now sometimes it's not so easy we come to the right card, I've been thinking doing the following: they cut the deck, now I need time to do my calculations because the card he cut it's not easy for me, and the card he choose it's on the left packet, I direct the attention to the right packet and say something like '' I will try to find out how many cards are here'' and use my hand as a balance '' here I have 17 cards, no no 18 cards, yeah exactly 18 cards'' count them. Spectator count the cards and while they do this I have all the time in the world to think in the best solution to arrive at his card. Does anyone do this?

What subtleties do you use after they name the card?

I think this it's very important, it's a vital part of the effect, with the proper psychology we create miracles in there mind and that it's our goal isn't?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Good thread! If only all threads can be as good as this.

I find the Tamariz subtleties to be very nice. I will give them a try the next time I have them name a card. One effect that I have been adapting to fit my needs is an item called "Outsmart" from the book "Ah-Ha!" by David Harkey and Eric Anderson. It is basically a spectator-think-of-a-card trick that utilizes 26 outs using a c***. With a memorized deck, you no longer need the c*** and the effect can be carried out in a more fluid and convincing way. I find the concept to be extremely helpful for the cards that are not as easy to locate in the deck.

One thing I do though, is for example when they name a card near the top or bottom of the deck, say the Four of Clubs. While I think it is perfectly acceptable that you reveal their card to be on top, I find that doing "something" with the deck before the revelation to be somehow better. The revelation of the top card can sometimes be so direct that it leads the spectators to one conclusion; that the selection started on top and that the magician lucked out. I am sure many will differ with my opinion but that's what I currently do.

I think the type of performer you are will dictate the subtleties you use after the spectator calls out his thought-of-card.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
A Balducci Cut-Deeper Force is a nice way to reveal a card if you want to handle the deck some first.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Serrodash
View Profile
New user
Alaska
52 Posts

Profile of Serrodash
Berglas also pretends as if he didn't here it the first time. I don't like doing Acaan because I'm usually standing, but I use allot of the psychological subtleties I read in the works of Berglas and Tamariz for a sealed deck effect, especially that one. After I pull the deck out I ask them what their card was again, then hand them the deck to unwrap. I find that to ask the question after the audience takes the deck is to draw attention to the subtlety. The way I hold the deck while asking is extremely transparent, flat on palm with fingers limp, so that they remember me knowing the card in that pose, and the participant taking the deck off my palm. The open palm is just my makeshift table, lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » After They Name The Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL