The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite Tricks for Strolling (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Sorry if this topic has been covered previously. I primarily do kids birthday parties and would like to start offering walkaround/strolling magic as part of my services. What are your favorite tricks for this type of situation...apart from a regular deck of cards? The important consideration is that the trick/prop be easily reset.

Thanks!
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
For kids, sponge balls all the way. I find sponge balls to be one of those perfect strolling pieces (for myself). Be it sponge bunnies or the colored balls. Even if it's for adults, they love them too. Plenty of mileage on this one.

I also like NFW, simple TT, and a half dollar.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 10:56, Harv wrote:
Sorry if this topic has been covered previously. I primarily do kids birthday parties and would like to start offering walkaround/strolling magic as part of my services. What are your favorite tricks for this type of situation...apart from a regular deck of cards? The important consideration is that the trick/prop be easily reset.

Thanks!

you want to start doing strolling magic for adults? or you want to do strolling for kids?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 17:03, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Good question...adults.

you want to start doing strolling magic for adults? or you want to do strolling for kids?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 17:03, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Good question...adults.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Strolling with just the stuff on your person,

A few rubber bands around my wrist and a bead on each end bracelet on my other wrist. A deck of cards and a couple of card wallets with some cards for Warp II, Close Up Illusion and a few gypsy threads strung on business cards. Several Dollars for various money effects in pockets Ring(s) and string in pocket(s). if I have my well pocketed vest I also carry a pencil, a small (but heavy) ring and rope with a f**se knot in my pocket.

This really does cover all the bases (although you do have to remember where everything is).

-Mary Mowder
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
You should check out some Magic Friday episodes on youtube. He recommends some good tricks for walk around.

http://magicfriday.blogspot.ca/

I think a good chop cup routine is a good place to start... I think these videos will help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ktlWEWIGBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwghf0qnOwo

I really like the invisible deck. it's easy, it's cheap and it kills every time.

stand up monte or 3 by steve valentine are good monte routines, great for tabling hopping and strolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Ct3Dm8Boc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHz0iDVnpA

an ambitious card routine that ends with a card to impossible location is very popular.

I think it really depends on what direction you want to go and what type of tricks you want to do.

some people could just get really good and bending spoons or forks and basically just do that routine over and over again and kill every time. some people get really good at elastic bands. lots of people do a routine with a borrowed ring. lots of coin guys, etc.

I'm just learning myself, so I'm starting with the basics and having pretty good success. I'm mainly doing: mini-chop cup, invisible deck, stand up monte, silk w/ TT... then I throw in whatever little other effects I feel like doing that night. there are plenty of decent effects you can buy for $40 that'll work well
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I always keep a couple coin effects a tt and silk
or a simple bill switch.
todd
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Once again, I have updated my table hopping set up. This is what I carry on me. It is a lot but I like having my security blankets with me. Most time I only need a couple of rubberbands, balloons, some coins, a deck of cards and a pen but I like having the extras just in case. These are all my favorites.

Back right pocket: Deck with double back by Jon Allen (I perform double back, ACR, WOW, Wiregrams, burn notice and Branded)
Right front pant pocket: 4 spongeballs
Left front pant pocket: Micro Physics and Branded Lighter
Left Back Pocket: Wallet with Kollossal Killer, Wonderland Dollar, 2 dollar window and sometimes extreme burn
Shirt pocket: Wow gimmick and wiregram
Inside Right Jacket pocket: oversized aluminum wallet (as seen o tv) with Color Monty, Stoplight cards, Duplicity
Outside right Jacket Pocket: 4 50-cent pieces and two english pennies, TT with rabbit and hat silks
Outside left jacket pocket: Large 50 cent piece
Upper left Jacket pocket: 2 sharpies, receipts for burn notice, Bizz Cards
Inside left jacket pocket: 10 - 15 balloons for pressure
On belt: Joshua Jay pouch with hopping halves and invisible deck.
On my wrists: Rubberbands for CMH

Patrick
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
One coin routine I like really well for strolling comes from the Johnny Thompson video: Commercial Classics of Magic, Volume 3! They are: "Spellbound & Presto Chango!" This can be performed without any table, and can be done standing or sitting, although I think standing works better, and is instantly reset. Props are 3 coins, a regular Half dollar, an English penny, and a "Sun and Moon coin" that is the same as the other two. I keep them together in my pocket using a very small binder clip.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Thanks for the responses!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Ball manip works whether the lights are low, the music is too loud or people are sitting or standing. No table needed.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jay,

Don't you have angle problems?

-Mary Mowder
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I believe the key to good strolling is "Do more, with less." I don't get how guys can work strolling with multiple decks of cards, or gimmicks each one good for one trick. For a 3 hour gig I will carry 1 regular deck, 1 blank deck to use as a signed card, 4 coins and shell, sponge balls, and card to wallet, which will contain Extreme Burn. I will occasionally throw in something like Prism Deck. My 2 GO TO props are a regular deck, and coins and shell. With those 2 items I can go for hours.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 01:05, pepka wrote:
I believe the key to good strolling is "Do more, with less."

Couldn't agree more. Some of the posts I see here just fill me with confusion as to how people are approaching pocket management.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know I have a problem, (twitch, twitch).

-Mary.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 03:04, Mary Mowder wrote:
I know I have a problem, (twitch, twitch).

-Mary.

LOL!!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I also keep a spellbound effect on me all the time.
pocket management is no problem.coin in purse and extra coin
behind it.bring it out extra coin goes into fingerpalm and start
the routien.when finish reverse the start.start clean and end clean.
todd
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 01:05, pepka wrote:
I believe the key to good strolling is "Do more, with less." I don't get how guys can work strolling with multiple decks of cards, or gimmicks each one good for one trick. For a 3 hour gig I will carry 1 regular deck, 1 blank deck to use as a signed card, 4 coins and shell, sponge balls, and card to wallet, which will contain Extreme Burn. I will occasionally throw in something like Prism Deck. My 2 GO TO props are a regular deck, and coins and shell. With those 2 items I can go for hours.

I can carry lots of props in the winter because my coat has so many pockets. in the summer it's more difficult to bring a lot of tricks with you. sometimes in the summer... I'll just bring a little backpack (the kind I used snowboarding) if I'm going somewhere where I want to do lots of magic.

I actually really like the look of some of the smaller one strap backpacks. I might get one with lots of pockets. but it would be cool if someone designed a one strap backpack for strolling magicians... where it had pockets the size of decks of cards... lots of small zipper pockets for close up tricks. places to easily grab jumbo coins and final loads while it's on your back... places to ditch coins and other small items. if it hangs kinda low, like at the base of your back... it could work as a utility device as well as a storage device.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Every know and then with previous post like this I see my old entries and how things have changed. I know carry less and do a lot more.

Left pant pocket, Rope set for a single rope routine base don fibre optics.
Right pant pocket, purse frame and 2 sponge balls or two adult sponge bunnies.
Right back pocket, 10 baby sponge bunnies.
left Back pocket, Four silver coins. Elastic bands and star gazer.

Waist coat pockets hold a silk hanky and a deck of cards.

Now I feel some time this is to much as I did 15 minute with the single rope, four coins and the silk. But I know with this I can have lots of fun. The amount and varity of tricks just grow. I want to add four small balls. But I have a rule only when I have two 5 minute routine with them.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite Tricks for Strolling (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL