The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite Tricks for Strolling (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
You still do Stargazer over there in New Zealand Yellowcustard?
I had to back it down over here in the U.S. Kids had a Animal Band craze a while back, where they would collect rubber bands with a permanent animal shape. They were in the toy shelves and some packages on checkout counters, where all could see them. Giraffes, Hippos, Dogs, etc.

Really deflated me since there was no "surprise" when my normal r.b. turned into a perm. star shape. Before the craze it was a real oddity &
could be given away as a souvenir. Always loved Stargazer and was the start of my rubber band routines.

Hope the "animals" do not migrate over there. ;>)

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 13:35, bowers wrote:
I also keep a spellbound effect on me all the time.
pocket management is no problem.coin in purse and extra coin
behind it.bring it out extra coin goes into fingerpalm and start
the routien.when finish reverse the start.start clean and end clean.
todd

Lots of great ideas here...thanks!! Todd, you just reminded me that years ago I learned a really nice David Roth Spellbound routine from one of his...ahem....videotapes. I'll have to revisit it!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There are a number of non-card routines that I love to perform while strolling.

Sponge Bunnies
Sponge Balls
Copper/Silver with Sudsbury Penny finale
Mismade Bill
Egg Bag
Ring and String
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I love to stroll and usually carry around 9 routines, so I cn do the three per table, three times, in cae I have followers.

I also have 3 back ups just in case. I usually don't use them but they are nice to have. Thanks to pocket management I carry everything comfortably.

I use three oversize (strollinig-wise) props that I carry in an apron I wear behind my back under my coat. I don't have to use them but I love doing the routines.

My sets usually contain the following :

Impossible Penetration finger chopper, Aldo Colombinis Jumbo Coincidence, Christain Painters Pandoras Box, CMH's in the wrists, sponge balls, Pyro-Perception, Jim Sistis Mixed Symbols, Troy Hoosiers "Charming Chinese Challenge", Hot Rod, Predicta, "Real Prediction" (dime, nickel, penny - Equivoque), ring and chain, Svengali deck, trilogy streamline, "Phil" deck, and a regular deck.

It's allot but it all fits and I do each routine at least once, if not more.

S. Patrick
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Coin routine opener, Rope Routine, Egg Bag or Chop Cup.

Tony
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Alan, what is in your sudbury penny finale with the c/s routine?
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
I take a deck of cards... a lighter a shaprie and some predictions... any thing else that packs small plays big that anyone reccommends??
Thanks
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 05:30, ropeadope wrote:
You still do Stargazer over there in New Zealand Yellowcustard?
I had to back it down over here in the U.S. Kids had a Animal Band craze a while back, where they would collect rubber bands with a permanent animal shape. They were in the toy shelves and some packages on checkout counters, where all could see them. Giraffes, Hippos, Dogs, etc.

Really deflated me since there was no "surprise" when my normal r.b. turned into a perm. star shape. Before the craze it was a real oddity &
could be given away as a souvenir. Always loved Stargazer and was the start of my rubber band routines.

Hope the "animals" do not migrate over there. ;>)

Have fun,
John

Yes this is a problem. But you know fades pass so I have slowed down on it a bit. however I only do it four adult. Also I do it as the end of a four phase routine so two things. first up the story I do is coming to its end so pepole are drawn in to the story. Also the band has been shown for a while as just a band. It is trick but wait a while and your be using it again.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Sponge Balls
Rope and Ring
Ambitious Card
Coins Across (Boomerang coins from my book 21CCM)
Ambitious Rendezvous (from my book BOD)

Larry Smile
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I have a half dozen or so walk around routines and one of my favorites is this:

A Coins

I walk over to a group and show a quarter held by the edges between my left thumb and forefinger and say “look what you can do with these new quarters.” and as I bring my right hand to my left there are 2 quarters which are tossed into my right hand and now there are three and when the three are tossed to my left hand there are 4.

B Coins

Using the 4 quarters I do a “coins across” in the hands of one of the women spectators in the group.

C Cards

I now say I’m going to try a card trick. A hard one. I’m going to find 4 selected cards. I have 4 cards selected and then:

1 I tell the person who took the first card I’m going to find his first. I cut but – but it’s the second person’s card. .I’m confused and I put her card in my pocket.

2 I apologize to the first spectator and say I will try again. I cut and - and – it’s the 4th person’s card. I scratch my head. "Oh wait, watch this . Hold out your hand,” I say to the second spectator. She does and I put the 4th spectator’s card in her hand and – and it’s now the second spectator’s card. I reach into my pocket and get the 4th spectator’ card.

3 Again I apologize to the first spectator and say I will make his card turn face up and I ask him the name of his card. I spread the deck and there is a card face up but it’s not the first spectator’s. I’m confused. The third spectator says it’s hers. I’m really confused.

4 I then look through the deck for the first spectator’s but it’s not there. Confused, I reach into my pocket and there is the first spectator’s card. I’m confused but thank them all for watching.

I smile and leave to go to another group.
LeoC-Coins
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of LeoC-Coins
Make sure that your tricks pack small and play big, for example my priorities are a deck of cards (with business cards), a sharpie and 4 coins. I can do my walk around with just them.
Make sure that you are showing punters the stuff they want to see rather than magic for magicians. they couldn't care less about how unbelievable your classic pass was and how you can get the card to rise from the deck using your new gimmick, what they want is something cool and simple which will amaze them and then they'll remember you.
So don't have complicated effects - simple plots, e.g chosen card travels twice to your pocket with the deck then going, Cards to Pocket. one at a time 3 coins travel from my hand to the spectators, Coins Across. magically the spectators signed business card swaps places with the one I signed when it was trapped safely in their hands, business card Transposition. you get the idea.
It just relies on playing your audience correctly and showmanship, make them laugh and surprising at the same time,
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
ID
Regular Deck
Double Back (Jon Allen)
Always hooked up to float cards, bills
TT (Silks, Sweet N Low, Juan Pablos Barehanded Bill Change)
In A Flash (Sankey) ** yes its a whole deck for one effect but its a repuatation maker**
Bite off quarter and shell for Roths 3 cions across
Branded gimmick
LIT gimmick
Stealth Pen
Ignition
Rope and ring (Ring Leader & Fiber Optics material)
NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
Stand Up monte is a must have. One of the strongest routines out there and it only takes up your top pocket.

I would say if you have
Half dollars w/ [, A deck of cards, Stand up monte, TT, extreme burn, and some performance skill, you can make a living as a magician.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Just wanted to bump this old thread because it would be nice to hear more tricks that people use in the real world.

I'm not a working magician yet, but I'm hoping to start part-time a couple nights a week at a bar/restaurant to see how it goes.

Here are the tricks I'm doing the most these days:

Mini-Chop Cup (I prefer to do it on a table and when I'm wearing a jacket or sweater with side pockets).
Stand Up Monte (using two jokers as the indifferent cards taken from a normal deck).
Ambtious Card Routine (ending with card to mouth, then into the kennedy mystery box).

This will probably be my main set... and my plan at first is to basically do these tricks for each new table.

I think the next routine I want to learn is the Charming Chinese Challenge. I like how it doesn't take up much pocket space, it's examinable, there's no reset, it's not a card trick, can be viewed by a single person or group of people. you don't need a table. you don't need any pockets or special clothing. It's a pure skill trick (i.e. no gimmicks), but it doesn't look too challenging to learn. It's also pretty visual.

Maybe for my second set, I'll use Flash by Chad Long, Charming Chinese Challenge, and close with the Invisible deck to Vanishing Deck.

My third set I will reserve for people who have already seen my other two sets and I'll probably perform Industrial Revelation, my version of Future Foretold, and maybe one more trick that plays super strong but that is a bit more involved. I'll keep this stuff in a bag off to the side, since my version of future foretold uses a lot of props and industrial revelation is heavy!

Then I'll keep some extra packet tricks on hand just in case: Card Warp, Entourage, Twisted Sisters, Skinner's Monte. They take up no space and they're easy to perform.

I'll also keep my quantum bender on hand to use as a second closer to any of my sets if it looks like they want MOAR magic.

And if there's room, maybe a TT w/ silk and copper/silver/brass.

This way, I'll have two sets of 3 tricks each that are all very good tricks and reset quickly. I'll have some of my strongest material off to the side if I want to show someone something speical. I'll have some "throw away" tricks in case someone just wants to see something quick... I can just do card warp or make a silk vanish or something simple like that.

But I'd still like to hear of more tricks that can fit a lot of the same critiera that I listed for Charming Chinese Challenge. Because it would be nice to have a few more go-to routines that can become the core of my act. And I've been meaning to learn a ring on rope routine... but I feel like Charming Chinese Challenge is just a better version of ring on rope... a little more deceptive and makes for a better routine.

I feel like I should also give Extreme Burn another try. I made the gimmick up once but I couldn't get it looking good... and my multi-coloured Canadian money leave no room for error. But I feel like I should try this again since so many people rely on it as an opener for restaurant work.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
I don't know why you think you need more, you have loads of tricks here. Work on mastering what you have by that time you will know exactly what you need or don't need.

As for the opener just stick with a bill switch I had the same issues with extreme burn and Australian currency.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 00:59, Mary Mowder wrote:
Jay,

Don't you have angle problems?

-Mary Mowder

I use the ancient PERPETUAL BALLS, and an equally ancient Bill Williston bit (ball thru silk), plus some flourishes. (No angle problems)It's all very visual and especially good when a rock band is on at 500 decibels. + NO reset!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 00:59, Mary Mowder wrote:
Jay,

Don't you have angle problems?

-Mary Mowder

No
No angle problems at all. The type of Ball Sleights I do may use up to 4 balls but the audience only sees one at a time and a 12 inch silk.
I do several vanishes/appearances , several color changes, a few size changes and more using bare-handed techniques then using the silk. I also have transpositions to very large rings, 3 inch coins and one where I ball-up some orange painters tape and then bounce an orange ball as another transposition.

Then again, sometimes Ill do one sleight and see that the people are nit interested and move on but if they are interested the sleights can last 3 or 4 minutes. I like the ball sleights as an ice breaker. Matter if fact, I like magic do much I might take it up, as a hobby.

It doesn't matter how loud the music is. I actually use the music as my background music. It doesn't matter how low the lighting is either.
portellamagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of portellamagic
Card to wallet.
Magic list - Jim Pace
Greed - Daniel Garcia
Dream Weaver - Paul Carnazzo
Deck of cards
coins for three fly or in the hands coins across
Business cards and a pen.

I like having a 30 plus minute routine that fits in my wallet....add cards and some coins your good for well over an hour
Nick Portella
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Current 3 sets of 3 for strolling:

1. Extreme Burn or Bill change
2. Double Back (Jon Allen)
3. Ring & Rope (Nest Of Wallets Ending)

1. Pointless/Pen Through Bill (Gregory Wilson)
2. ACE (Sanders)
3. CHOP (Bill In Lemon) - Craig Petty

1. Silks jamming and Blendo
2. Shake and bake (Sankey) & (3 fly - Roth with shell)
3. Envy-lope
portellamagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of portellamagic
I forgot about chop great trick for strolling for sure.
Nick Portella
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite Tricks for Strolling (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL