The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Why ....? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
As a busker for me it is one trip in one trip out. also when I say I do magic, peoples eyes light up, without the walkabout stuff you leave them disappointed. where as one trick for the person in line at the supermarket just sold the art of magic. and if by chance that person finds out I'm playing some where all the better.

and do you really make more $$$ ?
for the time you spend selling you act, I'm getting paid doing mine. and in the end, it gets put back in a shoulder bag and home I go, car quits on you no prob, I get a bus. I know one act that got sidelined because his panel truck dropped 2 trannys in one year.

in the end, stage is to much work, not enough magic.
yes there are holes in my logic, but you get what you pay for Smile

p.s. I hate talking to people, the walkabout helps me get over this.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
His panel truck dropped two trannys???
What kind of neighborhood is he working?..... Smile
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 12:02, Pokie-Poke wrote:

and do you really make more $$$ ?

Yes, significantly more money, less time. I'm marketing either way. For some venues I can get my parlor show loaded in 2 trips.

Being a busker is in some ways similar but also a bit different than walk around. When busking you draw an audience to see you or they stop as they are interested in seeing you or being entertained. You create your own stage.

Again for me the real problem with "walk-around" is approaching someone who isn't expecting to be entertained, injecting myself into their activities and making small talk to lead into sharing a few effects.

It may sound terrible but I feel what I offer (my work, my art) in the way of entertainment is significant enough, good enough to warrant the attention of the audience without me having to engage them and get them interested in seeing magic or me. They should be there to see entertainment and I merit their attention without having to go through what is for me the awkward step of engaging them.

Plus why perform for 3 - 10 people when you can perform for 60 to 2,000?

For me it's kind of not socially acceptable to engage someone to do a few tricks. Don't think I'd enjoy someone I don't know, up to that minute didn't really care about trying to engage me if I were in conversation at a cocktail party or other function to show me a few tricks.

That's what I see often in corporate walk around and I've seen video on performer's websites of them walking up to someone who was not expecting them and verbatim saying "I'm your magician this evening, would you like to see a few tricks"?

Different strokes for different folks ....
...and so on and so on and scooby, doobie doobie
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 12:02, Pokie-Poke wrote:
in the end, stage is to much work, not enough magic.

For me it's the opposite, I can't create the same magic close up that I can performing parlor or stage ;-)
Again I'm not a big box Vegas Style act on stage either
Illusions By Vick
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Vick,

Good Close-Up Magic Can be very Artful . It is an engaging piece of Performance Art.

There are, of course, times when people don't wish to see some Magic and there is definitely an art to to making the right approach.

When it is working you get to see people's amazement and wonder, up close. Laughter mixed with astonishment is a heady brew.

You see people who were feeling awkward suddenly have something in common and start to engage beyond the Magic. You get to see self-imposed barriers of possibility tumble.

A good set can include a sort of drawing in and out of the spectators, introducing them and building them up. It is personally rewarding to have a good set, like going through a juggling routine right for the first time but it is one of a kind. There is a physical exhilaration like when you are having a particularly good conversation.

I do Parlor Magic more than Close-Up and I love it but I look forward all year to the mostly seasonal Close-Up Shows I get.

Close-Up Magicians are great fun to mix it up with. There are some really eccentric and creative, detail oriented Close-Up Masters who elevate the Art.

Just thinking about the small things that make an effect work in the broader sense and work for you in particular are fun and compelling.

I'm a terrible business person so I don't doubt your basic premiss. I would never want to give up Close-Up Magic and will take all the gigs I can.

-Mary Mowder
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Theres nothing more benifiting for me
than doing magic closeup right in their face.
you get to see the big reactions that they get
when you blow them away with a effect.don't get
me wrong I like stage also.but the connection just
isn't there.i guess I like the interaction with people.
todd
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9022 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
I guess I like the interaction with people.
todd

Part of me agrees wholeheartedly -- when magic is appropriate and expected ...

but does not address Vick's concern over invading another's space/privacy to assuage one's own desires.

For me it is a matter of permission. How do you gain permission or properly assume it? (not speaking to Todd alone, but all)

When someone buys a ticket to your show or approaches your stand on the corner some permission can be presumed, but
what permission exists for a stranger on the street of gathered folk at a dinner table?

So, you must do something to gain permission, focus attention away from their needs, and create an expectation of magic.

That is a form of selling -- a game some do not wish to play.

Subsequent laughter, applause or tip cannot imply that any permission existed -- only that they overlooked your interruption and even rudeness.

Why is there any presumption on a performer's part that what they want to do is more important that what is already transpiring in another's life?

Even more questionable is the idea that "performing some magic" is the best way to interact with people -- if that be the reward or calling.

You meet a stranger
and they meet your gaze to form an instant bond --
and your mind echoes, "I see you there!"
and you must choose how best to answer the ancient call.

Do you tell a story or listen to theirs? Do you perform a bit of magic or sing a song or point to a beautiful flower?

You have but a moment to make a difference in another's life,
and allow them to caress yours -- to "inter act"
and walk away in awe and wonder.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
When people are performing Close-Up they do get a "read " on a group to asses if this group should not be interrupted.

When I'm hired, I'm a part of the planned entertainment by the Host so I feel a certain amount of access to the people is granted to me as long as I'm not getting a vibe that I shouldn't interrupt.

When you offer a tray of appetizers you don't worry about a momentary interruption. You offer, they accept or pass. If you felt a clear indication that you shouldn't interrupt with appetizers you wouldn't even offer.

If the people feel you are comfortable in your skill and they feel confident that you will be entertaining (and not embarrassing), you will have an easy time presenting Magic. Close-Up Magic is rare and Magical and it's free to them. Not surprisingly that is a pretty easy sell.

There is no reason for me to force people to watch my Close-Up Magic, if one group declines (and some do) there are others who would love to see some Magic. I'm there for the ones who will enjoy it.

-Mary Mowder
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 12:17, patrick flanagan wrote:
His panel truck dropped two trannys???
What kind of neighborhood is he working?..... Smile

OK, that made me scream laughing.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
From a purely self serving standpoint Vick, I love them both equally. there are some effects that I absolutely love to perform that would only work close-up, and there are some effects that I love performing that only work on stage. I got the best of both worlds!

S. Patrick
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Thanks again for not roasting me

I was performing strolling NYE (I warmed up with line strolling and then went to parlor) and another magician was working the same gig ... turns out he had read this very thread.

My best work takes time to develop the story line and strolling I am interjecting myself into someone else social interactions, (maybe) I don't feel comfortable taking that kind of time. Am pretty much 2 maybe 3 effects and on to the next in strolling.

Funny thing is I had a good rhythm going NYE, hitting about every third or forth group and ... security told me to stop holding up the line (I wasn't, was walking backwards with the guests as they progressed through a slow moving line to help pass the time in a fun way). Was performing as the client requested, things were going well and hotel security broke the rhythm. I suggested to security to lighten up (was a bit steamed but couldn't show it).

Another reason strolling doesn't work for me ;-)

Thanks again for the replies, am trying to see through different perspectives
Illusions By Vick
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Vick,

You we're doing exactly the right thing in line.

Don't take the security comments to heart. They were an occasional problem (because the guards are not tuned in to the actual point of the event) and you should perform for a slow line whenever possible as long as you are aware of the need for the line to move and safety issues of not blocking traffic.

-Mary Mowder
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
I'm not the biggest fan of doing the traditional "strolling at the local Applebee's" gig. I much prefer the types of bookings where there is what I call a "presumption of entertainment". That is to say, that the patrons are aware on some level that entertainment is being provided. That being said, I really enjoy the interaction and improvisation of close-up work. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers;
Mike
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On 2012-12-30 04:21, funsway wrote:
Quote:
I guess I like the interaction with people.
todd

Part of me agrees wholeheartedly -- when magic is appropriate and expected ...

but does not address Vick's concern over invading another's space/privacy to assuage one's own desires.

For me it is a matter of permission. How do you gain permission or properly assume it? (not speaking to Todd alone, but all)

When someone buys a ticket to your show or approaches your stand on the corner some permission can be presumed, but
what permission exists for a stranger on the street of gathered folk at a dinner table?

So, you must do something to gain permission, focus attention away from their needs, and create an expectation of magic.

That is a form of selling -- a game some do not wish to play.

Subsequent laughter, applause or tip cannot imply that any permission existed -- only that they overlooked your interruption and even rudeness.

Why is there any presumption on a performer's part that what they want to do is more important that what is already transpiring in another's life?

Even more questionable is the idea that "performing some magic" is the best way to interact with people -- if that be the reward or calling.

You meet a stranger
and they meet your gaze to form an instant bond --
and your mind echoes, "I see you there!"
and you must choose how best to answer the ancient call.

Do you tell a story or listen to theirs? Do you perform a bit of magic or sing a song or point to a beautiful flower?

You have but a moment to make a difference in another's life,
and allow them to caress yours -- to "inter act"
and walk away in awe and wonder.

Very nicely said. Thank you
montygoodrum
View Profile
New user
Texas
52 Posts

Profile of montygoodrum
So may I ask what everyone believes are the best (easy to do) close up strolling magic.
I am not very good (getting better each day with practice) but still a long way from doing "sleight of hand" very well. I do mostly kids "stage" shows, but really want to get more into the "strolling" magic.
Curious what the best (without a great amount of slight of hand) magic I should be looking for.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help
montygoodrum
View Profile
New user
Texas
52 Posts

Profile of montygoodrum
My apologies, I just found another "thread" that speaks on the question, that I asked above.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
If you do both stage and close up you can work more events.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Why ....? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL