The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promotional video editing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
I hired a guy to edit material for a show-reel,
I want to be present in the process.
do you think it is a good idea or would you better let the professional to do it by himself?
thanks
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Some pros want the input, so you are happy with the project. On the other hand there are those that want to blow you away with their solo skills. Ask the guy you hired. I can assure you it takes WAY longer to edit than you think, and with you there it will take even longer. A two minute clip can take several hours of editing.

You might want to consider a compromise where you give a vision to the editor let him do a bunch of work and then show you a rough draft so you can make a few suggestions if something is really out of whack.

If you have a very specific vision in mind, I would suggest finding some post-prod that is cool with you lurking over his shoulder.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
My best friend is a video editor. The process he normally follows, whether it be a commercial for Nike or a video for a local dance studio is the following. The client gives him some guidelines (length, shots they would like to see included, music or feel of music they would like, etc). He then does his thing and sends them the draft edit. Once the client has a chance to view the file, they'll make any recommendations of changes they'd like to see and send their notes back. This process may take place a couple of times (or in the case of Nike or a national commercial spot many times).

My personal recommendation would be to let the professional handle it and then have them send you the first draft. I've sat in his office while he's been editing and it's a very time consuming and boring (at least to me) process.

If you've seen this guy's work and you liked it, I would sit back and let him do his thing. You'll probably be very surprised (in a good way) with the outcome.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What do you think you can contribute to the process?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks for the comments, I think I will listen to the advises.

Danny, I thought that the video editor has many projects, I have only one, I have more time to review everything and plus some moments I really want to include and some moments I want to leave out.
just 2 hours ago I got a video of the camera man that filmed me, he mad a video to promote himself, it is ok, I like the fact that he included many things I never thought of, I look charismatic and fun, but he missed the idea of what I wanted, most of the video contains images of people signing, dealing, selecting cards.
and even 5 seconds close up image of me doing C****R T**R.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19818 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I doubt you are going to add what you think you will if you are not trained in video editing. Usually you just drive the guy nutso.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Do let him know what you want to bring out with the video, energy, Audience reactions, color. Let him know if you are concerned about giving away the ending to effects and discuss with him whether you want your real time performance to be heard or you want a "Musical Montage" etc... Let him know what video you think brings out the real you and is a good nutshell of your show.

Once he has a clear idea of what you'd like, be open to his suggestions (because he knows what may fall flat) and let him work alone. Tedious doesn't begin to describe the process.

If he doesn't want to use a shot that you thought was great let him explain, there is often a good reason (like something else in the shot that you didn't see).

You should make sure you will get a chance to watch and make suggestions at some point.

Good luck!

-Mary Mowder
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Having produced several videos over the years working directly with the editor I must say that magic is a different animal then any other type of video shoot.

yes let the guy have some major leeway with the video but I Highly recommend being there for portions of time to work directly with him as well as make sure that he sends you portions of the video before it is rendered so that you can comment on it.

remember he will see things that you wont and you will see things he wont as well as being a magician you know what you want your audience to see.

the right moment of a production or vanish or facial expression.

my point is work with them as much as they will let you. you are paying them therefore you get the final say!
I personally enjoy working with the editors I have used over the years for multiple reasons. one is that I get to learn about editing as well as learn about things to look for. for instance some things I thought would look great just don't work on video as they do live.

any who either way don't pay for it till your happy with it.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks Mary and Sam, I liked what you wrote!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1567 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I do video editing using Adobe's Premier Pro.
There's a really practical feature which will help both you & the video editor.
After I save the finished (draft),
I email it to the end user as a PDF document for corrections.
The actual video is on a server, so the PDF document is quite small.
However you can watch the streaming video via the PDF document.
On the PDF document you can view slow motion or frame by frame if you wish.
When you pause it, you can make comments such as: delete this portion or fix audio or more audience, etc.
The video time is noted next to your comments (timeline).
When you're done, click on "Send" and it goes back to the editor and he'll know exactly what you want to change and where.
It's a very practical solution.
I try to avoid clients sitting with me while I am editing. But I will redo anything until they are satisfied.

The client has to understand that the original video is the limiting factor. I had a client "opera singer" that wanted a promo video.
All the supplied footage was shot on VHS home cameras. I made sure he understood that the quality will only be as good as the originals. That being said, it is all in the editing.
Ihor
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
As others have said, give some basic guidelines and then get out of the way.

Variety performers are usually not good at knowing what to put in the videos. Most want to tell the whole "story" of an effect, when what is really needed is a taste or an image that will last. A good editor will see what is effective and use that.

I am a video editor, and I will agree that it is tough work. Let the editor do his work. A good editor will then let you make changes. But, keep in mind that there may be some very good reasons for excluding the shots you think are vitally important.

In the end, the editor works for you - providing you with a finished product you are happy with. It just may take some time to get to that end.

Steve
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promotional video editing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL