The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Me playing with my christmas present. (Ambitious card routine) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
My sister gave me a dragon back deck. Here is a video of me messing with it :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHbcx6Hnlw&feature=youtu.be

looks a bit sloppy to me... :/ I'm used to worn out decks. Switching to a new deck is a bigger difference than I thought lol XD
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
That's a great sister you have!

If I could handle cards as well as you, I wouldn't spend so much time picking them up off the floor.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a Merry Christmas!
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:03, Zombie Magic wrote:

If I could handle cards as well as you, I wouldn't spend so much time picking them up off the floor.

Not sure if your actually serious about the comment about handling cards.... But thank you either way!
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
This "routine" has to be a joke or parody or something. At least I hope so.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:29, Uli Weigel wrote:
This "routine" has to be a joke or parody or something. At least I hope so.

The presentation isn't serious. Just me fooling around...
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:37, Nicholas Night wrote:
The presentation isn't serious...

But your card handling is?
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:45, Uli Weigel wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:37, Nicholas Night wrote:
The presentation isn't serious...

But your card handling is?

Like I said. Used to more worn out decks. This is just me screwing around with my new one. IF you'd like to critique. that's fine. But try and make it constructive?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good Lord!!! Constructive? Okay, just a start. Stop pushing the vital card to center(?) from the back. Please!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Constructive critique? Okay: Practice, practice, practice! Don't waste our precious time with unrehearsed card abuse like that. Thank you.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
My god, you people are cruel.

Nicholas, your card handling is very amateurish, that is what people are trying to say.

You should hold the deck in a dealers grip, thumb on top fingers curling around the side and first finger curling around the front.

What Mr Lorayne is saying, is that you are using a technique that makes it possible to insert the card from the front edge of the deck. You keep putting it in the back of the deck. If you put the card in from the front, it will look more fair, open and less covered of course.

You appear to learn magic from videos, that is what your handling appears to indicate. If not, I'd love to know what sources you learn from. Consider Roberto Giobbi's Card College Vol 1 for some great basic instruction on how to properly hold and handle cards.

Keep at it! Keep practicing, and enjoy those beautiful cards!

J
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, guess a new deck of cards does not a card man make. Tough crowd but they pretty much speak the truth as to young Mr. Night here. You want constructive, well you got Harry Lorayne here yelling "Curtains!" on you. Smile You got card men from other countries yelling the same things really. It might not feel too good to your ego but it's pretty constructive alright.

Son, before you take any stage, anywhere again --- Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more...Take a nap, then get up and brush your teeth and then practice some more for good measure. Smile

More seriously, welcome to the Café. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Definitely needs some work, but hey, much kudos to you for showing us where you're currently at! Keep learning and practicing, can't wait to see some of your work in the future!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Most important Nicholas, take what is said as comments to help you get better. Don't quit practicing. And don't take this the wrong way, I am just trying to help, don't perform anything, even to fellow magicians, until you have perfected it. I know some times you want help, and I understand that it's not going to be polished, but put in a little more time, then show us again, and we will assist you again.

And that's how you can utilize a forum like this. We are there to help each other.

P.S. You can really learn a lot from Mr. Lorayne.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 13:33, Jay Mahon wrote:
My god, you people are cruel.

Nicholas, your card handling is very amateurish, that is what people are trying to say.

You should hold the deck in a dealers grip, thumb on top fingers curling around the side and first finger curling around the front.

What Mr Lorayne is saying, is that you are using a technique that makes it possible to insert the card from the front edge of the deck. You keep putting it in the back of the deck. If you put the card in from the front, it will look more fair, open and less covered of course.

You appear to learn magic from videos, that is what your handling appears to indicate. If not, I'd love to know what sources you learn from. Consider Roberto Giobbi's Card College Vol 1 for some great basic instruction on how to properly hold and handle cards.

Keep at it! Keep practicing, and enjoy those beautiful cards!

J

I do believe you'd be mistaken in that, I'm sure a method for inserting from the front exists, but the method I'm using I'm fairly certain would be spotted every time if I did it in the front. Perhaps someone could show me the handling for inserting it in the front in a pm? Also, until recently, I have not had any magic books. I never could afford much, so I learned however I could. Anytime I could buy magic, it always seemed to go into an effect or gimmick. (Hummers whirling card. TKO 2.0 gene anderson tear etc.)Good stuff. Though I guess my card magic would be better if I had books. I was recently given PDF's of several books. But cant say I've3 read throught them yet.
the titles being
> <Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue - Expert Card Technique.pdf>
> <Jean Hugard - Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.pdf>
> <The Royal Road To Card Magic.pdf>
> <Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 5.pdf>
Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 1.pdf Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 1.pdf
Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 2.pdf Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 2.pdf
Annemann - 202 Methods of Forcing.pdf Annemann - 202 Methods of Forcing.pdf
Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 3.pdf Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 3.pdf
Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 4.pdf Jean Huguard - Card Manipulations 4.pdf
Si Stebbins - Card Tricks.pdf Si Stebbins - Card Tricks.pdf
Erdnase.pdf Erdnase.pdf

Also, while I'm certain the handling you are trying to direct me to is superior, I do think you are being a bit harsh on whats in the video. For every layman I've performed it to, (Including nasty relatives who burn your hands and scream everything htye see.) Its fooled. But, I would DEFINITLY like to know how you are saying it can be done from the front.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If T**t is under discussion, I have methods for inserting via the side in SPECIAL EFFECTS, but - check out my ACR in my book or you can see me perform it (not under best of circumstances) at http://www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo . And, you'll see that I don't use T**t at all. Didn't know it when I originally put the routine together - and don't need it now that I do know it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:07, Nicholas Night wrote:
Quote:

Not sure if your actually serious about the comment about handling cards.... But thank you either way!

I was serious. Have you seen my youtube videos? Of course not, because I can't handle cards like you. They do actually fall on the floor. My hands have issues. So...I go painfully slow and cautious.

I liked your video.
mehdielamri
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mehdielamri
Hey , firt welcome to the Nicholas Night Smile
like everyone else said , you nedd to practice & practice
good luck Smile
Mehdi .
Women are magical ... so I became a magician.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
See what I was saying about Mr. Lorayne. Still one of the best.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 14:06, Harry Lorayne wrote:
If T**t is under discussion, I have methods for inserting via the side in SPECIAL EFFECTS, but - check out my ACR in my book or you can see me perform it (not under best of circumstances) at http://www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo . And, you'll see that I don't use T**t at all. Didn't know it when I originally put the routine together - and don't need it now that I do know it.

IT may be some time before I have access to the explanation then. Thank you fo the link to your performance, I just watched it, VERY impressive. GOing to be difficult to learn from you did it so well! haha.

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 14:10, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:07, Nicholas Night wrote:
Quote:

I was serious. Have you seen my youtube videos? Of course not, because I can't handle cards like you. They do actually fall on the floor. My hands have issues. So...I go painfully slow and cautious.

I liked your video.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd hate to 'waste everyones precious time.'
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Nicholas,

hey bud, send me a PM anytime and I will give you some pointers and direct you to a few youtube videos that I have that might shed some light.

I personally saw a lot of potential in the video, just a few ruff areas....anyhoo, like I said, shoot me a line.

Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Me playing with my christmas present. (Ambitious card routine) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL