The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Me playing with my christmas present. (Ambitious card routine) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 15:57, Billy-one wrote:
Nicholas,

hey bud, send me a PM anytime and I will give you some pointers and direct you to a few youtube videos that I have that might shed some light.

I personally saw a lot of potential in the video, just a few ruff areas....anyhoo, like I said, shoot me a line.

Billy


Took a look at the video. I took your advice ont he angle of the deck. Totally agree, looks much better. Also sent you a question.
Thank you!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4226 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
That's some interesting card handling you have there sir.

What sources do you have to learn from? If you don't mind me asking.

Take a little look at your handling, the mechanics grip helps out a lot. If you have a proper mechanics grip you won't have to square a lot like you have to. This includes your first finger along the front of the deck. HINT: This will also help with your TILT move, having a proper mechanics grip.

Look up Aaron Fisher's Card Magic Minute's for some helpful info on how to hold a deck.

The TILT move does not have to be done closer to chest level. YOu lsoe sight of the card that way, making less conviction and belief that the card is going in the center of the deck.

What happened at 1:45, don't do that again.

If you get a handle on finger breaks, buckling to get a bottom card break, getting a break with your pinky, etc, you'd have a lot less fiddling with the deck. There should be no excuse to have your body squaring up the deck.

It's obvious you have the knowledge to do these things, but there is a lot of work you need to do in order for there be finesse.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4226 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Watch Tommy Wonder's Handling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Watch Daryl's finesse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Don't just watch, study, get whatever source these are from, learn from them. Get a good source you can learn from. Harry Lorayne has great material on the subjects of cards. Marlo, Vernon, Gregory Wilson (Technonic Pasteboards) GO GO GO!
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 23:40, Blindside785 wrote:
That's some interesting card handling you have there sir.

What sources do you have to learn from? If you don't mind me asking.

Take a little look at your handling, the mechanics grip helps out a lot. If you have a proper mechanics grip you won't have to square a lot like you have to. This includes your first finger along the front of the deck. HINT: This will also help with your TILT move, having a proper mechanics grip.

Look up Aaron Fisher's Card Magic Minute's for some helpful info on how to hold a deck.

The TILT move does not have to be done closer to chest level. YOu lsoe sight of the card that way, making less conviction and belief that the card is going in the center of the deck.

What happened at 1:45, don't do that again.

If you get a handle on finger breaks, buckling to get a bottom card break, getting a break with your pinky, etc, you'd have a lot less fiddling with the deck. There should be no excuse to have your body squaring up the deck.

It's obvious you have the knowledge to do these things, but there is a lot of work you need to do in order for there be finesse.


I agree witht he mechanics grip, I don't know hwy I wasn't doing that before, especiialy since I already knew the grip! I'm self taught, the books that I RECENTLY got, you can see in my earlier post. Mostly I've learned from videos, or any tutorial/instructions I could find online.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 23:52, Blindside785 wrote:
Watch Tommy Wonder's Handling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Watch Daryl's finesse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Don't just watch, study, get whatever source these are from, learn from them. Get a good source you can learn from. Harry Lorayne has great material on the subjects of cards. Marlo, Vernon, Gregory Wilson (Technonic Pasteboards) GO GO GO!


Thank you! I'll definitly look into that.
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 00:01, Nicholas Night wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 23:52, Blindside785 wrote:
Watch Tommy Wonder's Handling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Watch Daryl's finesse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

Don't just watch, study, get whatever source these are from, learn from them. Get a good source you can learn from. Harry Lorayne has great material on the subjects of cards. Marlo, Vernon, Gregory Wilson (Technonic Pasteboards) GO GO GO!


Thank you! I'll definitly look into that.


Two thoughts:

1) When I was younger, I concentrated on the mechanics of card work, thinking that if I could do them, I could do magic. And I fooled people too, and some thought some of it was "amazing." I would be embarrassed to tell you how old I was before I realized that a unique personal style, coherent story-telling, and smooth choreographed hand movements were incredibly important. If I could go back, I'd learn that first, and then the moves, which have to be good to truly fit into the style part, but we don't learn anything that way. Style has to be tempered in the crucible of endless public performances. But don't neglect it. I'd suggest memorizing some patter (even if you don't stick to it) if you haven't already. Tommy Wonder's performance in that YouTube says it all. It doesn't get better than that.

2) Take note of the male spectator helping Tommy out. His name is David. As far as I can tell, he and the redoubtable Janel are professional magic spectators. I feel this may be an alternative career path for those of us who will never be Tommy Wonder Smile (not aimed at you, Nicholas, just a nod to Tommy's greatness, and David's!)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I think that's enough of the internet for me today. Merry Christmas, congrats on the new deck of cards.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
I agree on the patter/performance advice. And I do take care with my presentations when actually performing.
With many things I may be guilty of copying the greats. (My fireeating is almost EXACTLY like Brian Brushwoods, only he does it better. lol.)
But I do things on a small enough scale at the moment where it doesan't matter so much, before I do anything serious with it I plan opn having it evolved enough to be my own thing,
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8461 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Nick,

I hope you take all this ribbing in stride because within it all is people just wanting you to know better and be better. I hope you got that most of all from all this. Smile

You're already getting a lot of good pointers, so soak it all up and learn. One day, you'll look back on all this and it will be a part of when your road in card magic began straightening out for you. Smile

Actually, I am a coin guy that like the cards a bit too. Now I'm no Harry Lorayne (And he ain't no me with coins either) Smile See for yourself. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTF04vddfo

But I've been practicing with cards and I'm a heckuva lot better than I ever was with just a better understanding and handling of some basic moves. I don't do a lot of card stuff but can do a few things well now that make a decent coin guy like me look like a pretty good-enough card guy. I think you can do it too and you will. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
As ricky jay says when he does some of his moves "this is an acquired skill" in other words, watch the pros, read their books / view their dvd's and practive and never stop practicing.

is that a gun by the door?
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 04:09, MuscleMagic wrote:
As ricky jay says when he does some of his moves "this is an acquired skill" in other words, watch the pros, read their books / view their dvd's and practive and never stop practicing.

is that a gun by the door?


I went back to check and I notice two dislikes. I seriously laughed my ass of that two Café members took the time to dislike it.


But err... Yes. That is a gun.
Although it doesn't shoot bullets, it's air soft. Just yesterday a navy vet commented that it looked exactly like the rifle he used.
Apparrently my sniper looked real as well. Godda love air soft :3
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
But you offered up 4 minutes of your 'card magic'. It only takes a second to click on a button.

I won't give my opinion: you have been given some very sound advice. Harry Lorayne commented on your efforts: do you know who he is?

By the way, claiming that the final card is the selection, while flashing the blue back, is a poor idea. "Ambitious Card" routines often have the card signed.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 06:32, tomsk192 wrote:
But you offered up 4 minutes of your 'card magic'. It only takes a second to click on a button.

I won't give my opinion: you have been given some very sound advice. Harry Lorayne commented on your efforts: do you know who he is?

By the way, claiming that the final card is the selection, while flashing the blue back, is a poor idea. "Ambitious Card" routines often have the card signed.


Actually. I have a method for the card in the other deck to be signed, whether it stays dragonback or turns blue. However, I don't have the moves down and didn't wanna reveal it early lol XD
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Why be picky? Every other method was revealed.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 15:58, tomsk192 wrote:
Why be picky? Every other method was revealed.


Everyone knows how ambitious card works.
Not nearly as many people know how to make a signed card switch decks, and backs.
Literally. You can show both side of the card. Its a signed dragon back. do the ambitious card,routine, then end by using tool to reveal the signed card in the other deck. either with the same back or a different back.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 13:49, Nicholas Night wrote:
...I do think you are being a bit harsh on whats in the video...

That's your real problem. Unless you develop a self-critical faculty, none of the advice in this thread will help you.
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 18:35, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 13:49, Nicholas Night wrote:
...I do think you are being a bit harsh on whats in the video...

That's your real problem. Unless you develop a self-critical faculty, none of the advice in this thread will help you.


I'm definitely critical of it. All I meant is that the harsh words the video got were perhaps a bit overkill. To a magician? Yes. The performance was rubbish. To most laymen? It could look better. But only one person said she could see how it was done. She said I had a stack of ten of diamonds on top.
Does it NEED improvement? YES. Is it a horrible worthless performance? No, I don't think so. It's entertained a few people, and I cant help but smile when I think of that.

The video hasn't revealed anything, as those who see it, already knew it. The Laymen I showed the video to? They all loved it. I'm always critical of my work. I see mistakes in my work (Not necessarily magic.) Where other people say its perfect.

So... looking back at the video. Yes. Its bad. But there is some goodness in it.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
The best part of the video, atleast why I like it, is that you actually put it on the Café. Its hard to let these "magicians" see your chops and its even harder to deal with them afterwards. The truth of the matter is that some of your card chops need work, but then again.....almost everyones does. But here is the kicker, I have watched a lot of videos from other people on this board (even some of the so called VIPs) and I could trash them as some of the people have done to you....why, becuse I feel like I am more polished then they are, but bashing them only breeds harsh conditions (jerry springer style entertainment) and not much constructive words come from said posts.

Anyhoo, I dig your style, and that vid I told you about should be sent later tonight.

Billy
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Whoa, let's leave the so-called VIPs out of this, lol.

And I think something to consider when offering videos up to be viewed is whether you're looking for help, or praise. If it's not clear, it can be hard to take one when you would like the other.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Grant,

Lol, you sir where not one of the VIPs I was refering too, nor SEY or many of the others.

I commented on another post regarding the looking for praise and I agree with what you are saying, however looking for critique versus what Mr. Night encountered are fully diffrent.

I try to conduct myself like I would if I was speaking to someone in person, and belive me when I say that I would not talk to a "kid" in the harsh way that some on this topic have.

Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Me playing with my christmas present. (Ambitious card routine) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL