The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working for tips at a restaurant. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
So I know how many of you feel about "free" gigs, and I used to feel as strongly. Heres the gist. I had one restaurant that I got paid and got tips and handed out a lot of cards. They are not wanting to pay someone, but I was still getting tips from there and no one knew I was getting paid or not. I want to get more restaurants, so should I go and do this for only tips?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
NO! If the restaurant thinks you aren't good enough to pay you, find one that will.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

It's not that. I think he isn't doing as well financially as he started. I was getting good enough tips to keep going. It wasnt I got fired, It was he didn't have money to pay.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Unless you mean they didn't see the value in my magic
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
If you are happy with the arrangement with it's benefits and opportunity costs, then go for it. Don't forget to negotiate for additional benefits that cost them little or nothing but benefits you (advertising, feature billing, etc).

It's not my cup of tea but I don't know your present goals and opportunities.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2234 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Well, I find it hard to advise you because of how different it is in Montana. But, generally, I think it’s a bad idea to work for tips only. If you need to put food on the table then you have to do what you have to do. Only you can decide if its worth it for you.

Maybe you can agree to do it for a 3 month trial, make yourself loved and adored by the customers, wait staff and management and then negotiate from a position of strength. However, its hard to come across as a professional when you’re willing to work for free. I just find it hard to believe that the restaurant can’t come up with some kind of compensation.

At the very least, make sure you get a ‘glowing’ letter of recommendation on their letterhead. You can also make it worth your while by breaking in some new material.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 15:34, Kameron Messmer wrote:
Unless you mean they didn't see the value in my magic
That's EXACTLY what I meant.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19865 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What works best for you?

See there is different value inn things for all of us. If you find it with it to be in front off an audience then this may be ok. Iit you get enough of them it nasty be ok. Each situation is different and in Montana you probably know best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I can't imagine you making enough money on just tips to make it worth your time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The value of being in front of people on a regular basis is worth it. Use your tip money to invest in a small camera, and use it as credibility to pitch another restaurant to actually pay you. You can also use the footage to create the show you wanted. Make the arrangement worth your time
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Dave, I disagree. Just because every uncle Joe can do some simple magic trick does not mean that we as magicians are worth nothing. Uncle Joe may be worth nothing but the time, money, hours and hours of practice & rehearsal I put in is worth something. You have to get off your lazy butt and get out to the restaurants and SELL your act. I do one freebie as an audition, but they pay me for all the others. I will admit that at one time I had 7 restaurants a week and now I am down to 3 a week, but that is increasing with the new year

Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Ive been out of town for a few months on business not doing ANY shows or being out there. I don't have another job or anything to go back to, so I'd rather get tips and maybe get some shows than look for another job that will ALWAYS cut into my magic. I had this gig a few times a month, but I think he is running the business into the ground and can't afford me. So calling some restaurants to do and get my face back out there is my way of advertising and getting back in the game. During the summer I am at every event I can and I run into people that recognize me constantly. With not many options I may not have a choice. I may not go back to this restaurant because he is either a jerk, or too weird to deal with.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
This is simple...
ask yourself if you have other options, I mean other ways and places to perform magic?
if not, so this is your best option to date.

another question I would ask is...does doing magic there will improve you as a perform, ask yourself what you can gain and what can you lose.

personal story, in 2009 I had no job as a magician, nothing!
I felt I must be in front of people otherwise I will lose my mind, I started working 5 days a week for tips in restaurant and I was very happy,
because I could live out of magic, I got experience, contacts and had invented new routines, etc

the reason I wasn't getting gigs in 2009 is because I wasn't good enough, I can see it now and restaurant magic for tips was a very important step in my magic career.

but everyone should do his thinking.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kameron
You are far more likely to book more gigs than you are to make any real tip money.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

True, It would be better to get some practice than sit waiting. Im not thinking the tips will make enough, but its nice to have some cash. The main thing is to get out there and pass out cards. I am probably freaking out because ever since I started I get shows when I need them. I'll probably do fine, but its nice to have some constant exposure and cash...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19865 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 13:15, Al Angello wrote:
Kameron
You are far more likely to book more gigs than you are to make any real tip money.

Why do you say things like this? I have worked restaurants in season that make FAR more in tips than salary.

In the right environment you can EASILY do well on tips, if you are tip worthy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

At the restaurant I did, I got about the same in tips as I was getting paid. Id like both...
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I never said that magicians aren't valuable. Im saying being in front of people is valuable for performers. If you don't have a platform, you need to build it. Sitting at home doesn't accomplish that. Think long term strategy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
You most likely worked in finer restaurants than I did.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19865 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Al, this is why rash generalizations are just not helpful.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working for tips at a restaurant. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL