The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working for tips at a restaurant. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Too many establishments with "family nights" that are willing to pay for entertainment and allow you collect tips too! Don't sell yourself short.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Last time I tried to get into restaurants, they blew me off cause they didn't have it in the budget. The economy was a bit worse, so maybe they will do it again.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Danny
Perhaps you are right in Philadelphia I do a no brainer birthday party business, and in Billings a guy may have to hustle a bit more to get steady work.

Kameron
Thy it out and let us know how it went.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

When I get back to town I'll be calling lots of restaurants. We'll see if any are going to pay. If not I'll go to tips.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19858 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It doesn't matter how you get to the nut, just so ya cover it.

Don't let others tell you about your market. The only universal truth, is there are no universal truths.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Kameron, if you feel comfortable doing it, go for it. It is a good way to get your foot in the door. You will be getting hands on training before you find a restaurant that will pay you at each revenue. You will be able to mention you had experience.

I advise contracting a 1 or 2 month plan with the restaurant. When your contract is over, they might want to pay you to stay longer.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Kameron, make sure when you make those "lot's of calls" that you actually get though to the decision maker who can actually make the decision and approve payment.

Sometimes the decision maker is well insulated by his staff (floor manager etc.)

Blair
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Kameron, do NOT call the restaurants. It is so easy to say "no" to a voice on the phone. Go in person and see the General Manager (not the manager on duty.) Remember the saying "the secret to success is just showing up."
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 08:12, Paddy wrote:
Kameron, do NOT call the restaurants. It is so easy to say "no" to a voice on the phone. Go in person and see the General Manager (not the manager on duty.) Remember the saying "the secret to success is just showing up."

Exactly, find out when he/she is in and go in person. There's a thread in the table hoppers forum with a video with great tips on approaching a restaurant.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The best way to get a restaurant managers attention is to eat a meal there, and after you are presented your bill ask to speak to the manager. After buying a meal in his restaurant he will be in a mood to talk turkey with you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19858 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 10:23, Al Angello wrote:
The best way to get a restaurant managers attention is to eat a meal there, and after you are presented your bill ask to speak to the manager. After buying a meal in his restaurant he will be in a mood to talk turkey with you.

When we had the restaurant this was the fastest way to not get my attention. Suprise business meetings are NOT a way to set a relationship off on a good footing.

If you want to be treated as a professional, then you have to act like one. Summoning the manager over to the table to "talk turkey" based on you simply buying a meal is outrageous behavior. Most would not give you the time of day.

The manager takes meetings at appropriate times of day. He meets with food vendors, with corporate people, with liquor reps and furnature sales people and so forth. IF you want to be thought of as a pro, schedule time.

YES go in and talk with him, not on the phone but definately don't just show up after a meal and ask for him to "talk turkey".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

My question is, when? A manager is not always in. If I call to make an appointment, they can easily say no to a voice on the phone. If I stop by randomly, I could be blown off or miss the manager.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I don't know Danny
How about "I think that you have great food here, and BTW here is my business card" is not exactly a surprise business meeting. Perhaps a trick or two for your waitress. They may throw my card in the trash after I'm gone, but they are always cordial with me.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
749 Posts

Ive heard someone also mention making personal videos to send to clients. Maybe a cheap flash drive to send a manager with a video explaining the process. Harder to throw away a free flash drive then a flyer...
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 13:11, Al Angello wrote:
I don't know Danny
How about "I think that you have great food here, and BTW here is my business card" is not exactly a surprise business meeting. Perhaps a trick or two for your waitress. They may throw my card in the trash after I'm gone, but they are always cordial with me.

Al may have a good point and it may work well for him. I think much depends on the person an dpersonalities involved. My family had a restuarant for years and nothing p***ed us off more than when a magician "just did as few tricks". In every time in our case it created just the opposite effect - we immediately identified that person as bothersome, a pain in the a** and he was forever tagged. Anytime he came in that was always our (the entire staff's) first thought. He could have offered us $100 to talk to us and we wouldn't give him the time of day.

I've asked it before, in part due to this exact situation...why do magicians always feel everyone wants to see a magic trick at any given time? They don't. It is always only very self-serving.

They only way I would even give this the time of day is if this person went through proper channels (not conniving, backdoor or sneaky tactics, much like Dany said), I heard him out, decided if I would be interested, and perhaps asked him to let me watch him do five minutes. That is the only possible way I could see this.

From a business perspective I would also think this is the best way to do this. Wanted, with permission, and you have the ability to present yourself and do a live demo under the right and desired circumstances, when you have their attention and you are on the topic, in the moment.

This is better than any video or dvd demo, and backhanded attempts of getting the manager's attention while he is almost always involved in something else, and it would seem to me to be your best chance to succeed.

I think everyone is making this so much more complicate that it needs to be. We have all heard Kameron for months talking about his small town mentalities and resources. Here is one time this can actualy work to your advantage. Take a day or two and simply go in person from restaurant to restuarant, either by advance appointment or in person asking for an appoitment.

Seems much attention is on this one restaurant. If he doesn't want to pay you for whatever reason, fine, there are others that may. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, approach several to many. I have booked magic in restaurants, but have had better success with balloon artists, caracturists, phychics and handwriting/drawing analysis. The one thing I've learned is others want what others (including competition) have. We started by booking one of our balloon artists at one restaurant, then went to others talking about the success we had there and that opens there yes to the possibilities. Soon you are in 3, 4, or 5 different restuarants per week in a ongoing basis. Quite easy to book actually. Not a lot of money for an agency, but ideal for the self-represented artist.

My only advice is there is a lot of magician's thinking going on here. Think of this from the restaurants needs, interests and perspectives, not yours.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 13:24, Kameron Messmer wrote:
Ive heard someone also mention making personal videos to send to clients. Maybe a cheap flash drive to send a manager with a video explaining the process. Harder to throw away a free flash drive then a flyer...

I've given a way full binders outlining what I do, as if giving them a bunch of information at once some how convinces them. All they need to know is if you are a good person and what you offer. People do not have more emotional attachment to a flash drive, especially when they can see what you do on youtube without extra clutter on their desk.

Perhaps it may help you to think of it as "making friends with the owner" than to think of it as hard selling. Even if one restaurant owner doesn't want your services, that doesn't mean that he/she may not know someone who would. Its hard to turn away a friend, especially if they end up trusting you and liking what you offer. They simply may not want it at the moment.

You may want to just to make friends with the GM, give them a one page flyer, thank them for their time, and let them know you are available if they should ever need you. Then, you can follow up with them and offer a trial night.

Another thing. I started going to networking events. My original intention was to meet event planners and restaurant/catering company owners in an open & neutral environment. However,I ended up connecting with someone who does direct mail marketing for restaurants. His service is so fantastic (28% return rate), they trust everything he tells them. In the duration of an hour, he introduced me to 3 restaurant owners. I've already booked one and have another trial night with another. His credibility helped me not need to approach them cold. They trusted the messenger, so the new message was accepted willingly. I was very lucky to make friends with him, and you can bet I will recommend his service to other restaurant owners I may meet.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
No time is a bad time to ask, 'when is a good time?'

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19858 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Managers often have a bit of time after lunch rush, before dinner starts. This is often when deliveries get accepted and when appointments are had. I doubt you will find a manager not working during this time.

Mindpro is right. What posesses a magician to do a couple tricks for a waitress who has a million other things to do is beyond my ability to comprehend. They have side work to do, they have other tables. It is just not smart.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 08:12, Paddy wrote:

Exactly, find out when he/she is in and go in person. There's a thread in the table hoppers forum with a video with great tips on approaching a restaurant.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I've spoken about this stuff for YEARS! I look at restaurant magic like I look at politics and religion. It's a fact that EVERYONE is going to offer THEIR way of doing it. A ton of variables come into play depending on who you are and where you're approaching. But, I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon and offer my two cents worth.

I will admit that since I've joined Restaurant Magic Business here in Orlando, the process is a lot smoother since not only are we a corporation specializing in magic AND marketing/promoting but we also have an entire call center and our CEO does the initial consultations with the restaurants. Since we've been written up in several restaurant magazines and periodicals, they usually approach us.

BUT...with that being said, when I was approaching the restaurants on my own, I would always eat there. In fact, I have had several of both my past and current restaurant owners/managers say that one of the things that impressed them is that I came in as a customer and it wasn't all about business. Some places would take me months to close for the simple fact that I didn't want to give off the perception of being "needy". On the contrary, I would create the desire for them to want to hire me.

Earlier this week, I saw a thread on here with my good friend Howie in Atlanta. He made a very good point to mention that in his approach (which was very similar to the one I used) is that you "plant" the seed in the manager's/owner's head that they need you. I would eat there and occasionally like they almost always do, the manager would make their rounds checking on the guests. I would comment on how the environment reminded me of a very nice restaurant I used to perform at. Generally, when you phrase it like that it arouses some curiosity and they would almost always ask me what I did. I would mention I was the "resident house magician" and name drop a few local, high-end places. I would also encourage the manager to look into using my services in the future but not right away. A seasoned restaurant performer should be on par with the restaurant industry and know what times of the year are best to perform in. For example, here in Orlando January is a busy month for the convention center and I would use that to my advantage to influence the management to hire me for that month to help out with overflow in the lobby or lounge.

I would also like to add since I have been one of the magicians working for the Orlando Magic, that also lends a HUGE hand in the introduction phase with the restaurant. Borrowed credibility is a major marketing tool when used right. You see a LOT of magicians and entertainers use it in their accolades. They've used company logos and/or testimonials to basically show off their talents. And that's nothing out of the ordinary...especially with magicians. We're one of the worst groups of people when it comes to flaunting our own egos. But in some cases it's alright. It;s the ones that tend to overdo it that make it hard for the rest of us.

Anyways, getting back to my point, I would pay my bill, shake the manager's hand and hand them a card. But I would close with, (and listen to how I say this):

"What's your schedule look like for next week?...I have an opening for 3:00 on Tuesday or 4:00 on Thursday. I'll stop by, grab something to eat and drop off some literature with you. I'll go over what I do and how I work with restaurants and what the major benefits are for you and then I can address any questions or concerns. I'm thinking between 10-15 minutes tops. So which day works best for you?"

So I immediately try and stay in control of the conversation. You have to deliver this in a very professional manner. Once he says the date I thank him for the food and his time and that' that.

During the follow-up the next week, I DO NOT call and confirm. The reason why is because I don't want to give them a chance to turn the meeting down. Usually if you wait too long the interest dies down. So if I come in and he's ready to talk, great! If I come in and he's not ready to talk, I usually will mention that I wished he would've called or emailed me since he had my card. I know this sounds a bit harsh but it's an entire game of reverse psychology. I WANT him to feel bad that he cannot talk to me. Some of you are shaking your head at this point but I'm not here to be someone's friend, I'm here to make money and do business. If I come back because this guy said Tuesday worked better for him and he's not ready, I look like a more planned business person. If he declines the meeting I'll either say, after looking at my watch, "I tell you what...I'll go grab something to eat...take care of what you need to do and if you have a few minutes, come over to the table and we'll chat for a minute. I have some information right here but I'll wait until we can talk and I'll go over them."

(I'm going to stop this post right here before I get too deep). If anyone else is interested PM me and I'll discuss some more techniques. But just DO NOT compromise your talents or your time!!! If you're ready to perform and make money you'll know. If you have to ask yourself if you're ready then you're probably not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working for tips at a restaurant. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL