The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Charles Durning, R.I,P. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The noted character actor died Monday at the age of 89.

Quote:
He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

Quite a life.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5362 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
And quite a character! He will be missed!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Loved him in The Sting!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Saw him on the stage in the 70s in Lanford Wilson's play Lemon Sky, which starred Durning and a young Christopher Walken. An unforgettable memory. My companion and I knew these two unknowns were going to make it big. It is a play that starts off slowly but leads to an incredibly emotional and physical climax, leaving the actors exhausted. We were at a matinee and were astounded to think that they'd have to repeat the whole thing over in a few hours.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Nice reminiscence, landmark.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Loved him (or hated him?) in Stephen King's Cat's Eye.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
He was hilarious on Everybody loves Raymond. He playeed the family priest and the looks he would give the family were freakin gutbusters. I also enjoyed him on the tv series Evening Shade with Burt Reynolds.
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Charles Durning, R.I,P. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL