The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » David Dee Type Website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1880 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Does anyone have experience in this, and is it more effective than the usual website?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7382 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Are you asking about a single-page website vs. a multi-page website?

If so, then do a search of this forum area for the topic "killer mini-site". That is what those single-page sales websites are called.

Keep in mind that some of those threads are older, and reference websites that have changed many times since then. But there were some interesting conversations.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If it's the longer sales-letter one-page site, contact Jack Turk.

Ed
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1880 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Ed,

Yeah, I have a bit of his material, and that is what I'm asking about. Does anyone else have a positive experience with this style of site? It looks good to me, but I would like independent confirmation.

Donald,

Thanks, but Ed hit the nailon the head.

Kerry
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1880 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Ed,

Yeah, I have a bit of his material, and that is what I'm asking about. Does anyone else have a positive experience with this style of site? It looks good to me, but I would like independent confirmation.

Donald,

Thanks, but Ed hit the nailon the head.

Kerry
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Making visitors scroll down used to be a no no. Not as true now.

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/changes-......ce-1994/
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1880 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Gomerel

Interesting article, thanks!
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I was mentioned, so I'll give my two cents.

I know for specific markets, such as "birthday parties," a long form
sales letter is PERFECT. I've had great success with that kind of
targeted website. It's more than a single page website, it's several
pages:

1) Home page which is the core sales letter

2) Testimonial / Happy Customers Page

3) F.A.Q. page with info about me, the programs, etc.

Every page supports the argument that I'm the best choice to solve
the specific problem of finding entertainment for the child's
birthday party. (Plus the copy on the extra pages provides value
for SEO as well.)

Having said that, I think the reason a sales letter works so well
for this kind of site is that it answers an existing demand... my
analogy is that hiring a birthday party magician is like calling
a plumber after your toilet explodes. You need help now.

A sales letter addressing that pain point... with plenty of
conversational copy... is exactly the right approach.

I appreciate in the article linked to the realization that folks
do "skim" the copy - that's known in copywriting terms as making
sure your letter offers a "double-readership path." There are
those folks who'll hang on every word you write, and there are others
who will only hit the headlines and subheads and maybe a few
bullet points - it's critical that you write with the intent to
support your argument in the best way possible for BOTH types of
readers.

For other markets that don't have the same "exploding toilet" level
of desperation on the part of the prospect, you face different
challenges in writing the copy - indeed, the real challenge there
is DRIVING relevant traffic TO your website... and then based
on an understanding of why they're coming, writing sales copy
that best addresses the needs of that visitor.
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Thank you Jack. That was very informative.

Kerry - I bought some of his material too, a long time ago. I never used it as a website but as a sales letter, I didn't care for his style of ethics, I guess you'd call it. The way he instructed to just make up facts and testimonials, and his overly aggressive way of telling the prospect to take action, just aren't my cup of tea. It works for a lot of people though. I just didn't care for it.

Bazinga!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1880 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Bazinga,

Jack Turk doesn't tell anyone to make up anything. As far as I have seen his ethics are golden. --As for Dave Dee, I have some material, but it has sat for years and I don't recall if he recommended such or not. Anyway, that is not what I was talking about.

BTW welcome to the Café. I think you will find about half of the advice here is great, the other half is from people who think they can speak with authority about things they know nothing about. Sometimes they are the same person! Anyway, the skill to using the Café is determining who knows what they are talking about, and who just likes talking.

The guys posting on this thread I don't always agree with, but their advice is always worth heavy consideration.

~~~

I am talking about Jack's web site ideas. I didn't want to bring up his name because I was talking about his style, and wanted a to discuss Jack's work behind Jack's back -on the DL. Thanks for blowing it for me Ed! Smile

As Jack stated it here, it sounds good to me, it makes a lot of sense. I have found that just because things make sense doesn't mean they work. Jack does pound out the advice, and what I have read of it sounds good to me. Still, I'm no expert, nor do I have the experience. Anyone want to rise up and give testimony??

Well, I'm giving it a try, so you will be hearing back from me!
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Kerry AND Jack,

I AM SO SORRY. My comments above, after offering my thinks to Jack, were about the Dave Dee materials. It is in those materials that advocate making things up. NOT JACKS!

I apologize for not being clear. I was trying to avoid using Dee's name and that made a real mess of things.

Again, I'd like to say that Jack's post above is very informative and useful. Thanks again for that Jack. And PLEASE forgive the confusion.

Bazinga!
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Thanks for the welcome Kerry. I've been reading here for some time and made it my New Year's resolution to sign up and become legit Smile
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Two more cents on Dave Dee...

I've known Dave for MANY years and I've gone through with a fine-toothed
comb ALL his content. He NEVER recommended making up testimonials. In fact,
quite the opposite... he said you should never ever ever make up testimonials.

He did recommend doing free shows and using those as a path to getting
testimonials... which makes good sense if you don't have any yet.

I'm not sure where this advice was heard, but I'll stand against it as
well - use testimonials, you betcha, everywhere and in everything you
send out ... but NEVER make 'em up.
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
780 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
If anyone is interested in a web site like this I can set one up for you that you will totally own and can change or customize later without having to spend more money.

I enjoy doing it and can do it a lot more economically and personally that most of the "professional" services.

It would include:

• Great landing page, optimized to your area

• Customer friendly "about the magician" page that tells your story and gets you ranked higher in search engines

• Frequently Asked Questions section that is easy to update and change but that also looks professional and great

• Area for media such as photos and video

• Easy contact form that sends emails to you when a person contacts you

Best part is that this will be optimized to get you a high ranking in search engines [SEO].

Lots of people TALK about the best way to do SEO but here's the acid test. I'm in Tyler, Texas. It is in East Texas.

Simply do a search and see where I show up.

Search ANY of these or anything else you can think of and see where I show up. If I'm at or near the top I'm doing it right, if I'm not, then it doesn't matter what I claim. Most SEO gurus don't let you see if they are really getting results before you use their services.

Search:

Tyler, Texas Clown

Tyler, Texas Birthday Clown

Tyler, Texas Birthday Magician

Tyler Texas Birthday Party

East Texas Clown

East Texas Birthday

East Texas Party Clown

East Texas Party Entertainer

Or search for ANYTHING you think a birthday mom in Tyler, Texas would search for.

You'll see that if I'm not the very top I am in the first few listings.

You can get that kind of ranking too. There are lots of great articles on the Café on how to do it yourself and if you go that way, it can work. But, if you want to save the hassle, time, and frustration of doing it yourself I'd be glad to help you.

Send me a Private Message if you're interested and we can work out a fair price that will be way, WAY cheaper that having a so-called professional service do it.
The pirate to the left is Professor Q.B.

ProfessorQB.com

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 12:55, jackturk wrote:
Two more cents on Dave Dee...

Hi Jack,

Again I thank you for your post of yesterday, and I am sorry for creating the confusion with KC.

On Dave Dee, I'm not going to get into a fracas about it but I have some of his material from a very long time ago (before he decided to become a "golf guru".) In writing he advocated making up quotes and bending facts for people who are just starting and have no real-life magic performance experience to write about. Specifically, he said to use relatives’ names on made-up testimonials in sales letters.

I also have a recorded conference call with him and the guy who was acting as an agent for him and sold me the info kit. In his own voice he is telling me to do that. I know I still have that stuff around here but I'm not going to dig for it just to post and prove it here. I'm long done with him.

I know there are quite a few who feel about him the way I do, and quite a few who just as strongly defend him. A VERY interesting thing I just saw on his website is one of the testimonials. I personally know one of them and he does NOT endorse Dave Dee. I won't write what he said to me because it would all turn into asterisks anyway. Smile

Now as to the long form letters versus short letters, I've used both and found that both can be successful if they're well written and speak to the needs of the reader. I've also had good luck with postcards. As I said earlier, I don't use a website for lead generation so I can't speak to that.

Bazinga!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » David Dee Type Website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL