The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The OFFICIAL 2012 Café E-Book of the Year Award Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Fair enough Vlad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Muse, Across the Void DOES count.

Namaste,
Vlad
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Across the Void? Really? My copy says 2005. Does an ebook "reprint" count as new? But L&L ebooks are not allowed? Another special rule I guess.
JH5magic
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of JH5magic
Although I don't have the 50 posts to earn me a vote, I am anxiously looking forward to see what my fellow members are recommending. I am a self confessed book and e-book addict! I've already enjoyed hearing about some titles with which I am unfamiliar. Thanks!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
No changes since the last update.

Chet, I still need verification at least for informational purposes regarding the Erdnase book as an e-book. As stated previously, my research shows it is available only an a physical book.

To Uli, PM me if you wish discuss my reasoning for allowing the Hallas book. This the is sescond time you have gone after me man and I have no idea why nor do I like it. I offered an apology in another thread to you BEFORE you posted your "complaint" here and you had not the grace to respond even though I apologized for firing back in a way unbefitting me as a person and the standards of this forum. Look Uli, I am doing this strictly out of love for the art. I get no pay, no NOTHING for this. Now, if you can do better, please be my guest and take over either award for next year. I am sick of being nailed by people for having to make judgment calls and for having to enforce Café rules re; your post in the Book of the Year thread.

To the rest of you, my deepest thanks for your support. It's heartening to know that most people realize I am trying my best to make this work.

Namaste,
Vlad
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2013-01-25 06:24, Vlad_77 wrote:
To Uli, PM me if you wish discuss my reasoning for allowing the Hallas book.

I have no interest discussing things in private, which should be discussed right here in this thread where they belong. My questions above are perfectly legitimate. It's nothing personal, no reason to get upset.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Cryptical Envelopement by John Hostler. It contains such a high concentration of awesome.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1086 Posts

Profile of Chris
Vlad, "Artifice, Ruse & Erdnase" by Hurt McDermott was simultaneously released as ebook and hardback (See http://www.lybrary.com/artifice-ruse-erdnase-p-151122.html ) Not sure if this makes it eligible in this ebook award, but in any case it is the best book I published to this date. (The only reason I did not nominate it myself is that I am not on an ego trip and excluded my own publications from my personal best-of list here.)
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-25 11:44, Chris wrote:
Vlad, "Artifice, Ruse & Erdnase" by Hurt McDermott was simultaneously released as ebook and hardback (See http://www.lybrary.com/artifice-ruse-erdnase-p-151122.html ) Not sure if this makes it eligible in this ebook award, but in any case it is the best book I published to this date. (The only reason I did not nominate it myself is that I am not on an ego trip and excluded my own publications from my personal best-of list here.)

Chris,

Thank you. When I did a search on the title a week or so ago Google returned the H&R site. Since this was simultaneously released as an e-book and a physical book, bearing a 2012 imprint, then it can count in either.

Uli Weigel: I have been thinking of many ways to answer you and here it is: I made a judgment call. I was informed in PM first about this e-book and it clearly bears a 2012 imprint/copyright. Now, I do not own the original physical book. The e-book however I was informed by a trusted source that it does have a 2012 copyright. I was also informed that it was a physical book previously. Now, the reason I made the judgment concerning the large vendors like L&L was because I did not want a ton of votes for all of their reprints as it would have been unfair especially to those who self publish. You know, I really am doing the best I can with these awards. Upset? No, I wanted to discuss this as gentlemen and I resent your implication here about my intentions regarding a PM. I will not apologize to you for that. And lastly, I am not doing this for any accolades. I have received so many PMs however thanking me for my efforts and you know what? It does make me smile, so if I was really upset, you would know it. I have long respected your opinions Uli.

Now, since you did not have the grace to reply to an apology I made to you weeks ago about a complaint you made regarding the Café's rules regarding voting on books written by banned members I will once again apologize for jumping on you so quickly - that was wrong of me. That said Uli Weigel, I stated clearly that I cannot change Café rules regarding that. I asked very nicely in both opening threads - here and in the physical book section - to please take the issue up with the Café admins. Instead you chose to make a statement in public about something which none of us can change. We signed on to this Café agreeing to abide by their rules and that is what I am doing. If you do not or cannot accept that that is what I am doing then I am sorry you feel that way.

Now, I will not apologize a third time. Either you will choose to accept an apology or not just as you will choose to question a judgment call I made or not.

Vlad
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Vlad, as I see it, there was and there is no reason for you to apologize for anything. But if you feel the need to apologize anyway, then be my guest. Apology accepted. Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm surprised with so much more emphasis on ebooks, there hasn't been more votes cast.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-26 20:56, motown wrote:
I'm surprised with so much more emphasis on ebooks, there hasn't been more votes cast.

As am I Motown! I wonder if it might be better to modify the conditions for next year's award. There are so many e-books that perhaps there needs to be a vetting process. This year was the inagural year and I learned a valuable lesson that handling this one is a far different type of beast than the Book of the Year.

Chris Wasshuber would be a great person for me to talk to after this award period is over. While others like Todd Karr for instance do publish e-books, Chris's Lybrary.com is far and away the largest repository of e-books and if anyone has substantive thoughts about how this award could succeed it would be Chris.

I really am pleased that some votes were cast though. I would like to remain optimistic that while this first year was a partial failure, I am hopeful that by next year, things will be a bit less nebulous and thus produce an experiment that has fully succeeded.

Ah well, there is merit in soldiering on methinks.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1426 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Vlad - I wonder if it might have been better to allow people to vote for more than one ebook (e.g., top three) - it is so difficult choosing just one. A simple way to choose the overall winner could be to take the best average (median) rank.

Mike
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
I cast my vote the other day and the list has yet to be updated.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 06:07, Your Thinking Cap wrote:
I cast my vote the other day and the list has yet to be updated.

That's because updates are done on Thursdays, and since this Thursday is the last day for voting, we will have your vote recorded and the end of the award for this year. Don't worry, I didn't forget about you. Smile

Quote:
On 2013-01-27 07:52, Michael Daniels wrote:
Vlad - I wonder if it might have been better to allow people to vote for more than one ebook (e.g., top three) - it is so difficult choosing just one. A simple way to choose the overall winner could be to take the best average (median) rank.

Mike

Mike,

That could very well work considering the number of e-books as you state. Certainly something for the next person to consider when doing the 2012 award. (Yes I DO hope we will have this again next year!)
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I vote for The Boof by Liam Montier.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 16:17, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I vote for The Boof by Liam Montier.

NICE call Jamie!!! This is simply a superb e-book and if I was voting, it would be the one to get mine. I really am a huge fan of Liam Montier, Dave Forrest, and Cameron Francis. Just curious Jamie, do you have Cardio from Liam Montier? I thought it was superb as well.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well the inaugural year for the E-book of the Year for 2012 produced no winner. Do I consider it a failed experiment? Not in the least. The idea of this award and the physical book award is to recognize and thank authors for their hard work and also these awards serve as a resource for the rest of the community to look into resources missed.

I do hope it will be repeated next year but perhaps the mechanics need to change; it's something to think about.

First a big thank you to the authors who have enriched the art by their contributions.

Second, thank you everyone who participated!!

I want to send a special thank you to Chris Wasshuber who promoted the E-book of the Year Award in his newsletter.

This thread is closed and again, thank you all!

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: It is 31 January where I live Smile
Andrew M
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Andrew M
Thanks for running this Vlad. Even though it hasn't produced a clear winner it has still helped to highlight a short-list of titles that people think are good, and so particularly worthy of investigation by others.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 16:54, Andrew M wrote:
Thanks for running this Vlad. Even though it hasn't produced a clear winner it has still helped to highlight a short-list of titles that people think are good, and so particularly worthy of investigation by others.

Andrew, you really made my day with your post! I'm glad that you found it of some value Smile

Namaste,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The OFFICIAL 2012 Café E-Book of the Year Award Thread (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL