The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Historical representation vs Own material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
Hi everyone ! Just a quick little question from a mostly magical audience based comp , Do you think it is wise of me to replicate okito's act or some other rare act from the period and perform it as a historical depiction or to do my own act which has won awards previously , not so much init to win it as I am mostly in the show to perform for the fun of performing.
Thank You
Liam
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A historical recreation is certainly interesting but has a very limited market. Basically magic conventions. Laymen don't care or get it.

David Charvet did a wonderful job with Harry Blackstone. Those of us that knew Harry well, it was a very emotional trip down memory lane for us.

Commercially, it makes more sense to use the old timer's acts as a basis to develop from for new routines and such that are more pleasing today's audiences.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I believe that at the 1960 combined IBM-SAM convention in Boston that Bernard Whitman was a hit with his recreation of Thurston's floating ball routine. Johnny Gaughan has presented the Hooker Rising Cards at the Los Angeles Conference on Magic History. But keep in mind that these are homages to magicians who are no longer with us and that they are often one-time only performances.

You may also recall that Dai Vernon was a little "suspicious" when Alan Wakeling presented his billiard ball routine at The Magic Castle. Vernon asked Wakeling where he learned it, and Wakeling said, "From Roy Benson." Just to be sure that Wakeling had the right to perform the routine, Vernon called Benson and Benson confirmed that he had indeed taught the routine to Wakeling. Benson was also happy to hear from Vernon that Wakeling did an outstanding job with the billiard balls.

Tom Mullica does an historical recreation of Red Skelton--but as he notes on his website:
http://www.tommullica.com/
it is "The only Red Skelton Tribute show in America Authorized by the Red Skelton Estate and Lothian Skelton."

I suppose, too, that to a certain extent anyone who does a strait jacket escape or sub trunk is basically doing an "historical recreation" of Houdini's act. They may add their own touch--like a costume change in the sub trunk or an unbelievably rapid change--but Houdini paved the way.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Historical representation vs Own material (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL