The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » John Edwards "medium" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 12:58, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Why?

The reason in my heart is because if I can stop one person from going to his Shows by making them realize it's fake, it would've been worth it.

(Ask why Dawkins wrote his "The God Delusion"...)

Or an even better answer, 'cause I just feel like exposing them. Smile

"I no longer believe in John Edward...now SYLVIA BROWN--she's REAL"
You can't win.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Why?

The reason in my heart is because if I can stop one person from going to his Shows by making them realize it's fake, it would've been worth it.

the last line reads as honest. The others read as languaging behavior that proffers something less than cogent and not even specious.

Acceptable noise, tolerated languaging behavior.

Please say what you mean or at least what you'd like others to believe.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 13:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Why?

the last line reads as honest. The others read as languaging behavior that proffers something less than cogent and not even specious.

Acceptable noise, tolerated languaging behavior.

Please say what you mean or at least what you'd like others to believe.

Ok then, because I feel like it. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Dawkins FAILs to acknowledge the personal and social utility of a "supernatural" or "magical" beliefs. For that, and the bitterness of his tone I am left wondering what he wants to believe.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 13:05, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Dawkins FAILs to acknowledge the personal and social utility of a "supernatural" or "magical" beliefs. For that, and the bitterness of his tone I am left wondering what he wants to believe.

Others have, it is a community.

It is what he doesn't believe that is clear I think.

People can believe whatever, but when others prey on that belief in times of need I feel I need to at least try to do something.

If you don't, fine. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Johnathan, and Pakar I think I understand you both now. I did more research on this. Houdini did exposé mediums , but eventually felt it was ethically immoral. Think about it. People will believe what they want to, and if that ignorance brings them joy, why toy with it? I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but I used to be Christian, and yes, I used to believe in John Edwards too until I read hundreds of books on philosophy, literature, and many other academic subjects for fun. For me now and my experience with thr sociology of religion and magic literature knowledge, I could go on and state how in my opinion god cannot exist, as in a personal god.

Not only would this possibly be offensive and rude to others, they will still accept their beliefs, and even if I did manager to "convert" them to believing in the philosophy of Spinoza or atheism it would be immoral, especially because religion brings joy to people's lives!! Personally, in times of despair I wish I WAS Christian , for that very reason! Ignorance is bliss. And who knows, I may be wrong, only the dead know the true nature of god. For example. Max Weber believed religion differently than Emile Durkheim and Max Weber who expanded upon both of their theories , religion binds people together, does ALOT of good in its community assistance, and wants the best for people. It evolved over superstition. The ancients thought for example, if they angered the gods they would send lightning . This kept evolving with the evolution of technology , and religion sits where it is today. Max Weber thought religion and society were a metaphor for the same thing; each evolves with each other. My point is, as Houdini said, even though I agree with Pakar, :

*Houdini: "At the time I appreciated the fact that I surprised my clients, but while aware of the fact that I was deceiving them I did not see or understand the seriousness of trifling with such sacred sentimentality and the baneful result which inevitably followed. To me it was a lark. I was a mystifier and as such my ambition was being gratified and my love for a mild sensation satisfied. After delving deep I realized the seriousness of it all. As I advanced to riper years of experience I was brought to a realization of the seriousness of trifling with the hallowed reverence which the average human being bestows on the departed, and when I personally became afflicted with similar grief I was chagrined that I should ever have been guilty of such frivolity and for the first time realized that it bordered on crime."

*References:
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/john_edwar......ereaved/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
...religion binds people together, does ALOT of good in its community assistance, and wants the best for people...

"what could be" and "what were", "what are" and "what will be" are distinct discussions

I feel it's awkward to discuss a social dimension without discussing its operational utility. For example it's not that horses are bad for wheels, though it does seen that gasoline engines offer additional options that are not compatible with horse powered transport.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-01 13:38, landmark wrote:
So bad it's funny dept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07UzTcApMI

That was funny! Epic fail
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-01 14:46, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
...religion binds people together, does ALOT of good in its community assistance, and wants the best for people...

"what could be" and "what were", "what are" and "what will be" are distinct discussions

I feel it's awkward to discuss a social dimension without discussing its operational utility. For example it's not that horses are bad for wheels, though it does seen that gasoline engines offer additional options that are not compatible with horse powered transport.

John, like I said I'm not trying to open a can of worms on the religious comment I made or offend anyone, it's just how I see it. I hope that doesn't get this interesting thread deleted . I like everyone's ideas. But John, maybe from my autism/Asperger's, I don't understand your analogy or what you mean at all. I'm very confused. Can you please explain it less literally and more simply ? Sorry , I'm confused.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 13:38, landmark wrote:
So bad it's funny dept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07UzTcApMI

Wow! I had no idea Richard Trumka was a cold reader! I think that explains a lot!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

There are things that have proved useful;
Those things are not good or bad but are useful.
Human nature is what it is;
People will use things that are useful to serve their own purposes.

So why the interest in those who offer a sense of connection to other realms?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Are you saying that those are overlapping categories, or exclusive ones? I think that some things can be useful without being good or bad, but that other things can be useful and good, or useful and bad.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Lobo, what color are the tooth fairy's wings?

if you'd like to discuss how to establish, reinforce, transmit and institutionalize a belief, imagery or brand experience...

But instead I believe the question is about having such things - and I posit that such are useful.

Asking useful to whom, in what ways, at what cost, as compared to what... that too is a different collection of discussions.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
In this "patch.com" blog, this woman claims that John Edward is proof of life after death: http://nyack.patch.com/blog_posts/proof-of-life-after-death

Interesting responses to the blog.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Is it more likely that a miraculous event would occur (in the form of communication with the deceased), or that humans would scam (intentionally or unintentionally) their fellow man/woman?

Slide, thanks for that link (and the ensuing comments). It demonstrates quite nicely the human propensity to want to believe, despite good reasons not to.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-01 18:09, R.S. wrote:
Is it more likely that a miraculous event would occur (in the form of communication with the deceased), or that humans would scam (intentionally or unintentionally) their fellow man/woman? ...

That may be a reasonable analysis though there's enough missing that it does not account for the world as we know it.

What if you also weigh costs and then apply the logic used in Pascal's wager?

;)
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 18:20, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 18:09, R.S. wrote:
Is it more likely that a miraculous event would occur (in the form of communication with the deceased), or that humans would scam (intentionally or unintentionally) their fellow man/woman? ...

That may be a reasonable analysis though there's enough missing that it does not account for the world as we know it.

What if you also weight costs and then apply the logic used in Pascal's wager?

;)

I'll see your Pascal's wager and raise you one Occam's razor!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 15:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Lobo, what color are the tooth fairy's wings?

Vladimir likes blue tacos.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Occam's saw does not cut in this realm. Not even the smallest delightful cobweb does it cleave. Try something else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » John Edwards "medium" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL