The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Why are so many topics in here NOT funny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Yeah, or at least separate the real workers from the hobbyists in the gag threads. I don't want to deny them their right to participate in their little games, but it does suck that we have to share this thread with those who obviously have no clue what funny is.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Sealegs......I figured out why so much of this forum is not funny. Take a minute and look at some of the performance videos of those in the gag threads. It, unfortunately, says it all.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Well boys.....it was fun while it lasted. Looks like some folks have regurgitated all the gag threads back to the top of the page. It's too bad.......This was actually a comedy forum for a good week. I appreciate all the PM's guys, but honestly, it doesn't change if you just PM me.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1101 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I also agree with AAM & Sealegs.

The humour level on the most part in this section is cringeworthy. I initially thought it was USA / UK differences but now I'm thinking there's just a lot of posters that think they're funny when they're not.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 12:04, fyi2 wrote:
Thanks for raising this topic, I have thought this ever since I started on the Café. This is unfortunately one of the most disaapointing forums. There seems the be enough consensus, my be some one more senior, could ask through the "I want speak to the manager" forum, of a separate forum, for the serious side of comedy;and point to his discussion.

2c

Tony.

Feel free to add your name to the long list of complainers in the "speak to the manager" thread. You can appeal to Sanders who is in charge of the humor section and who is the most prolific responder to the jokes. Or you can ignore it like most of us. I check it once a month to see if anything has changed and to add my two centavos. Not a mentalist, but I predict nothing will change. Love it like it is....

to see how many people have complained use the search function and enter "comedy" under the subject and enter the "I want to speak to the manager" thread.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2574 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
At the top of every post there is a 'report this post' button. Maybe if we click on that for each post made on the game threads would yield any better results than posting in the 'I want to see the manager' section?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I agree that the long threads are lame. Part of the reason is that they are in jokes. But they get carried on and on to an absurd degree. And mostly they are dumb.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
I hope those that want to discuss real aspects of comedy will bring up topics here and in PM.

If one focuses on the problem, you might be overlooking a solution.

Hopefully it won't be like a friend of mine who know goes to A.A.

If laughter is good medicine, how come some many comics become alcoholics.

Remembering rule 62..to take comedy sewiously while taking myself lightly

Harris
who tried to find the Anonymous Anonymous meeting, but no one would tell him where it was
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
my name is david
View Profile
New user
Pataskala, Ohio
67 Posts

Profile of my name is david
Totally agree with you, AAM. (for what it's worth)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Why are so many topics in here NOT funny? You mean like this one?
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Bazinga
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
The only way to get meaningful threads going is to create meaningful threads. The best way of recreating this forum to something that you want it to be is by starting and discussing things that you find meaningful. It might not work immediately, but keep trying.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
And to Bob Sanders, one of the great Café' posters of all time, thanks again for giving me your pet blue silk to egg routine at Abbott's last August... You are a good man.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2013-01-24 22:01, MagicBus wrote:
Why are so many topics in here NOT funny? You mean like this one?

It's simple. Because comedy is not easy.

That's why magicians stick to puns, stolen lines, awful attempts at humor, and .... game threads.

When you can't think of anything funny to say.... update a game thread.

Actually these kinds of threads (as George eluded to) can help get the creative juices flowing.
But that's not what's really happening on these threads.

I consider these threads a huge waste of disk space and preserving them is completely useless.
I suggested that game threads be locked after a certain number of posts (like 100)
but the Café doesn't think it's important to limit them. If they don't, then I don't either.

I just don't contribute to this forum much, as a result.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Bumping this thread because it matters.

Good to see there are a few here that have similar "wtf?" thoughts regarding this forum and the silly little circle-jerk games. Several of you wrote EXACTLY what I was thinking.

It's really too bad that the actual discussions of honest-to-gosh comedy are so few and far between. It's a sad waste of what could be a great resource... A resource to HELP people who - judging by the halfbaked "punchlines" that get proudly posted here - could REALLY use some SERIOUS help with comedy.

Sincerely,
Some self-righteous pompous prick
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
It is a useless question, nothing will be done about it. I visit once a month to see if anyone has posted anything useful.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I love the "Exposed" series that is being posted here. I have already said enough about the childish gag threads......my opinions are well voiced.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1872 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I have complained, and been told TMC staff they are funny! I guess that shows how high the bar is to consider oneself a comedy magician. Also, many of these "game" thread posts are very right wing political. I complained about them, and was told they were not political . . . and to stop complaining . . . (even though it is against TMC policy to make a political post). Which, to me, shows a remarkable degree truthiness.

The problem is "the people in power" THINK they know funny, and are funny . . . but they really have no idea. If any do, they don't want to offend the their friends (yes, many of the primary offenders are personal friends with the TMC staff - or are staff). The only thing funny about them is they think they are funny. So we get these self-congratulating threads where some members think they are exposing their wit and occasionally make a "joke" about something that is not in the tea party platform.

TMC should have a forum just for these "game threads" and have a separate comedy forum.

On the other hand, there are a few gems in these threads. If you have the stamina to wade through the drivel, to my chagrin, sometimes those that are the worst offenders do come up with a true gem. The problem is they cannot recognize it when it happens.

The one nice thing is they are letting this thread live.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1101 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Just let them carry on not being funny & don't worry about it or read their posts.

It's the same few who post unfunny stuff almost daily but I get a laugh from the thought that they might be trying their woeful humour on the general public. Probably completely oblivious to the fact they are cringeworthy.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So a chicken wanted to cross a road.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Why are so many topics in here NOT funny? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL