We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Who's the best rubber band magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was thinking Dan Harlan for years. I'm not sure now after I saw Russ Niedzwiecki's Pinnacle. He uses a spectator's ring and a rubber band. He teaches how to give the rountine 4 phases, and all are amazing. I had to purchase his DVD at the Motor City close-up convention

Dynamike
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I still vote for Dan Harlan. He changed the whole world of rubber band magic.

Hirase
In love with magic!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-11 06:44, HiraseMagic wrote:
I still vote for Dan Harlan. He change the whole world of rubberband magic.

Hirase

I have to agree to that statement, but I think Michael Ammar's Crazy Man's Handcuffs is still my number one effect when it comes to rubber band magic.
I have also purchased Pinnacle, and will tell you how it is when it arrives.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Dan Harlan and Russ Niedzwicki.
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
Interesting Logic.

Michael Ammar did not invent CMH, he just published the correct way to do the effect. (Tarbell had it wrong).

Russ may very well be the best. I don't know I've only seen him perform one band trick!

If one amazing trick is enough to qualify, you left out Chris Kenner, Simon Aronson and Jeff Pierce to name but a few. (There are others I have HEARD of and never seen/unfamiliar with which I cannot rank).

I do not believe Pinnacle tops any of the ones I've mentioned. I do believe that all of these are miracle class type effects, but is that enough for the creator to achieve King of the Bands status? Hmmm...

It would be like saying Reed McClintock is the best cardman because he came up with a killer twisting effect.

I would have to say, and forgive my igrnorance, that Dan Harlan wins this title in my book. This by no means implies that I think he is the best inventor, just the most versatile rubberband man I know about.

Have a good one.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
In my opinion, Harlan is the most prolific, so I agree with Decker, but I also believe that other magicians have created stronger rubber band effects, including Kenner and Moden.

Larry D.

P.S. - Unlike Decker, I don't think that ANY rubber band effect is in the miracle class.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I would say Ammar, just a fab performer, gentleman, and person in general. I really like his story. You know what, he could be watching now. Perhaps we should all speak good of him.

I really like Russ's Pinacle, but get MUCH better reactions around magicians, not quite sure why, and I have worked a way to get the final miracle stage to work in ALL situations, and it is hand "outable" for them to keep.

Of course, I do not use a borrowed ring for this, rather a keyring. I spend a while threading them on the night before, and I ask to borrow a keyring, and then give them a keyring on band to keep after the miracle. Stuns them in their pants.
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
IndridCold-
That is a great idea! I was trying to find a solution like this, using hardware parts but I couldn't think of a good reason for it at all, but this works!

The only problem with it is removing the emotional tie, and the fact that a borrowed ring is unquestionably unique. But I do believe it would still kill.

Larry-
When I really think about it I agree. But When I think about actual miracle class effects... there are very few of them, and they have nothing to do with coins, cards or bands. Band effects can be as powerful as coin or cardwork, and I do all three (and more!)
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17175 Posts

Profile of joseph
Dan Harlan's rubberband library is fantastic. Get the tapes. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-11-12 07:35, Decker wrote:
IndridCold-
Larry-
...When I think about actual miracle class effects... there are very few of them...

I agree with you on that as well. In fact, while I have decades of experience and consider myself to be a pretty good magician, there's only one effect I perform that I'd consider to be in the miracle class.

Regards, Larry D.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 20:53, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 07:35, Decker wrote:
IndridCold-
Larry-
...When I think about actual miracle class effects... there are very few of them...

Larry,

Your statement is begging someone to ask the inevitable question. Considered it asked.

I agree with you on that as well. In fact, while I have decades of experience and consider myself to be a pretty good magician, there's only one effect I perform that I'd consider to be in the miracle class.

Regards, Larry D.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Therntier,

I didn't provide details of the particular effect because it's an original effect and wouldn't mean anything to those reading the posting, particularly because even with detailed plans, it would cost you thousands of dollars to put the effect together (that's how much it cost me and there's no cheaper alternative).

What puts it in the miracle class in my opinion is not the sterile effect but the methods that I use to accomplish the effect - - those methods make the outward appearance of the effect unlike the outward appearance of similar effects.

Maybe I could explain myself better with an analogy. If I told you the effect was to make a coin vanish, that would be the sterile effect, and those who read that posting would think, "Big deal, I know 100's of methods for making a coin vanish." But if I told you that the methods I used allowed a spectator to hold any coin and to stare at it at which point the coin would slowly dematerialize in the spectator's hand, like a person being transported in a Star Trek episode, I think you'd agree that the methods I used for the particular coin vanish made the outward appearance of the vanish unlike the outward appearance of any other coin vanish.

By the way, that was just an analogy, my miracle effect isn't making a coin dematerialize, and if anyone knows how to do that, please share!

My original posting wasn't an attempt to pat myself on the back. On the contrary, it's humbling to realize that after decades of experience performing magic, I perform only one effect in the miracle class. My original posting was just an attempt to state that not many tricks belong in the miracle class in my mind, rubber band or otherwise.

Back on topic, two of the strongest rubber band effects out there (but not miracles in my opinion) are Kenner's version in Totally Out of Control and Moden's Ebony and Ivory.

Best regards, Larry Davidson
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dan Harlan has the most videos on rubberbands, however this does not make him the best.
I would say he is the king of the bands.

vinny

Larry I agree with you on Chris Kenner's Missing link.It is one of the best if not the very best rubberband effect,and it is impromptu.
Ebony and ivory as well as linked for life are gimmicked .
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Another vote for Dan Harlan!
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
What about JOE RINDFLEISCH
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Doug, I was just going to mention Joe. Joe or Dan? Toss up.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes, let's make that a third nod to Joe. I've seen him do very strong link/unlinks and some other effects that are quite striking... so much so that I'm not going to offer ANY descriptions.

Joe seems to look at rubber bands in about the way David Roth looks at coins. He's exploring the options of the props.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
I'd say it's Joe!
If you've spent any time with him, you can see that he creates magic at about the same rate that most of us breathe!
Next time you see him - ask him to break and restore a band the way a 'real' magician (or as he says god) would - amazing!!!

Dennis
:bluebikes:
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'm not sure I agree with Larry. I have put together a band routine that spectators agree is in the miracle class. The routine does include pinnacle towards the end now because it's so strong. It's all about presentation and I think everyone here will agree with me on this. Self fulfilling prophecy I guess, if you don't like rubberband magic and don't think of it as a miracle yourself then neither will your audience. I'll never forget the first time I saw Harlan work or Russ either. Blew my mind away I knew I had to start toying with the bands. I've done alot of work with them and they've paid off 10 fold. Just my thoughts!
Take care,
Bryan
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-11-13 08:47, Larry Davidson wrote:

Back on topic, two of the strongest rubber band effects out there (but not miracles in my opinion) are Kenner's version in Totally Out of Control and Moden's Ebony and Ivory.

Where can I find these routines, Larry?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Who's the best rubber band magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL