The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning all the right moves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lawrence, I recommended the Inner Card Trilogy early in this thread. In another thread here I sing the praises of Michael Ammar. He is certainly a master magician. I just wouldn't list his ETMCM tapes as sources.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lawrence, I recommended the Inner Card Trilogy early in this thread. In another thread here I sing the praises of Michael Ammar. He is certainly a master magician. I just wouldn't list his ETMCM tapes as sources.
nathanmorris
View Profile
New user
UK
56 Posts

Profile of nathanmorris
Card college
Joe Momma
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Joe Momma
A control, a palm, a double lift and a force and you'll be set.

However, the advice is right that you should work out what effects you want to do and then learn the sleights to do that. Not the other way around. Unless you just want to learn sleights as an academic exercise.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 13:10, Joe Momma wrote:
A control, a palm, a double lift and a force and you'll be set.

Quote:
On 2013-01-09 13:10, Joe Momma wrote:
However, the advice is right that you should work out what effects you want to do and then learn the sleights to do that.

I'm sorry, but I think both of these suggestions are horrible. I'd caution anyone against taking this advice.

sey
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Steve, What are YOUR suggestions?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1668 Posts

Profile of alexhui
There are no right or wrong moves in magic – as long as the move works for the performer, it is the Right move.

That said, I didn't mean we cannot narrow down our selection to certain 'essential' and standard moves. However, we should not – or never – think a particular move is a must-have otherwise we can never perform good card magic. Only does a performer not master a memorized deck or faro shuffle does not mean he is not qualified as a good performer. In nowadays magic, our perception of value is often determined by the quantity and release day but not quality. That's why we have so many 'unimportant' variations of sleights/tricks which are not superior than old methods.

So my suggestions to those who want to learn Right sleights is to pick up a certain effects and start practising them. You don't have to learn all the Right moves before performing. In doing a few good effects, you will learn how to perform as well as those rigth moves.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
The Real Way of Magic is to touch the soul of our audience, but not to touch the ego of our soul
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 02:33, Atom3339 wrote:
Steve, What are YOUR suggestions?

A link to Steven's suggestions was posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 03:14, alexhui wrote:
There are no right or wrong moves in magic � as long as the move works for the performer, it is the Right move.

That said, I didn't mean we cannot narrow down our selection to certain 'essential' and standard moves. However, we should not � or never � think a particular move is a must-have otherwise we can never perform good card magic. Only does a performer not master a memorized deck or faro shuffle does not mean he is not qualified as a good performer. In nowadays magic, our perception of value is often determined by the quantity and release day but not quality. That's why we have so many 'unimportant' variations of sleights/tricks which are not superior than old methods.

So my suggestions to those who want to learn Right sleights is to pick up a certain effects and start practising them. You don't have to learn all the Right moves before performing. In doing a few good effects, you will learn how to perform as well as those rigth moves.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Well said, Alex!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning all the right moves (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL