The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite stolling effect with a regular deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-02 23:07, theamazingsauce wrote:
S2000, that is a great list.

Thanks.

Quote:
On 2013-01-02 23:07, theamazingsauce wrote:
Whats the best source to learn Ortiz's material, specifically those effects?

Both of the Ortiz effects I listed are in Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table.

Cardshark is also an excellent book. I just got Scams and Fantasies for Christmas, but I expect it to be top-drawer as well.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Jimvines.....have 2 or 3 full decks in your case. when one deck gets too "light"...replace with a full deck. repeat as needed. at the end of the night, use the 3 decks to make two decks. in order to insure this, force red cards from the first deck you use. when you start to used deck two, force black cards. if you need to go to a third deck.....well....you figure it out...lol.

Dimitri.....I do a version of Sam the Bellhop. It's pretty much the same sequences but I've changed the story to make it more relateable (if that's a word) to my personna (if there are two "n's"). Not sure how many people younger than 45 know what a bellhop is. I call it "My Friend Vinnie"....allows me to reference the movie, of a similar name, in my story. As you, I don't do this at every table. I, also, save it for special situations. When doing a formal close up show, I always close with this.

patrick
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I get good reactions from Clutch by Oz Pearlman.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
What I like to do in restaurants is completely impromptu with a deck of cards, I open with this card in hand trick from Ellusionist on their Crash Course 1 dvd, basically you lose the card, give the spectator an indifferent card and tell them to push it a little bit into the deck, you cut where the put it to find their card, but after it's not there it's revealed to be in the spectators hand. I follow that with a multi card selection getting lost in the deck and then flipping over the top card, when it's not any of their cards I lay it on the table and riffle the deck at it, blowing it apart into all of the selected cards. and then I keep one of their cards (usually the kid's card if it's a family with a kid, otherwise it's pretty much random) and I go into a short ACR, 2 phases and then I let them sign the card, let them all sign it, especially if its a family, and I do one more phase of ACR which is really just thrown in to get the card to the position I really want it for my ending with a basic card in pocket, I'm not sure what the name of the method is called, but I play it up like I think its on top, then its not, and then I flip through the entire deck before reaching into my back pocket and producing their card.

the only thing I don't like about this routine is I do have to be careful where the tables I already performed for were, I performed for one family and then walked to the other side of the restaurant and performed, then another table sat down beside the one I performed for first, and I went over and did the same routine for them, and I heard the kid from the table behind me say in a kind of disappointed voice "he just put the card in his pocket" I felt so bad that I ended up going back to that table a bit later when they finished eating and performing my haunted deck just to leave the kid with a little bit of mystery.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
"Card in Hand" is my favorite trick to perform strolling with a regular deck. I don't present the trick in the same way as the book "Card College Volume 1" describes it as I add various strategies of misdirection to the presentation of the trick as well as my own personality and style to the presentation. People are totally blown away by this trick (but again, devising various strategies of misdirection and putting those strategies into the presentation of the trick is important to making the trick killer).
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Sankey's Back in Time is sure hard to beat.
ACR
I love sandwich effects and do a three phase sandwich routine. It's been so long that I actually forget the names of the individual effects that make up the routine. Except I end it with Jennings' The Visitor.
Multiple Selection
Repeat card under the card box.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Twisted, you just reminded me of 3 sandwich effects that I like to perform together.
Dawn Patrol from John Bannon
Search and Destroy from Aaron Fisher
Ishkibble Sandwich from Eric Jones
fun fun fun
patrick
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Ambitious to mystery box.
Any card to spectators wallet.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Cards to pocket.
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
A multiple selection and revelation routine is great!
Fritz Alkemade has a great ending on his "Let's go Dutch" dvd.
Aldo Colombini also has great ideas about this routine.
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Lee smith's step system DVD and James Brown Professional Opportunist will gvie you a ton of material to work with (:
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
After reading a few similiar posts on this thread, this may help some of you...it was published in MUM many years ago...

The Annoying Vanishing Deck by Cody S. Fisher

(A Brief Essay On Problems And Solutions)

Problem: After performing strolling magic for a few hours you look down at your cards…and half of your deck has vanished!

Actually this is not a trick…but rather a major problem I used to have. Basically anytime you are performing effects where playing cards are signed, ripped, or folded you are indirectly causing your deck to vanish!

Towards the end of the evening you are performing with less than 52 cards. This is problematic for several reasons. First of all your sleights may be off as you are probably used to practicing with 52 cards. Secondly, since cards are being used for other signed card effects you are eliminating other possible card effects you can do. For example, one night I wanted to perform “twisting the aces” at the end of my set…well I only had three aces. I thought no problem…I will just do “twisting the kings”…Oh no…I only had two kings! That night I actually had to perform “twisting the nines”…just didn’t have the same feel for some reason.

Another problem with “signed cards” is that for laymen it sometimes does not rule out the thought of duplicates! I have performed signed card to wallet for many years. It always amazed me when I pulled out the signed card out of my wallet only to have someone “reason” that I had two of them!

This certainly does not happen that often…but enough times to get me to thinking about a logical solution. The problem is that playing cards are very common to a layperson…that’s why they often “forget their card” or even suspect duplicates. Most laymen don't think about cards that much, at least not as much as we do!

My Solution:

I wanted a way in which their signed card would not only be remembered but would prove without a doubt that there is only one card like it in the world! The simple solution to all the above problems is to simply force a “blank card” whenever I plan on marking, tearing, or folding it. That’s it!

The blank card solution solves all of the above mentioned problems. First of all when you force a blank card for all your effects that involve destroying cards, you are basically “saving” the rest of the cards in your deck. By adding a blank card to your deck every time, you are always one card ahead; and at the end of the night you still have a complete deck!

The blank card also solves the less frequent problem of your audience considering the use of a duplicate. When I have them sign their name on the card, I also have them draw a little picture or add their phone number, etc. You get the idea. Basically I have them make this card “so unique” that the thought of a duplicate is NEVER questioned.

Finally, the blank card is easily remembered because it is so unusual. My friend David Regal calls this concept “An Oddity”. Most laymen have never seen a blank faced playing card. Even the concept of a blank faced card is amazing to some spectators. Trust me if they pick a blank card and design it themselves they will remember it.

My Patter:

When I use this in performance I have the blank card on top of the deck ready to be forced. I pressure fan the cards as I say, "Playing cards actually evolved from Tarot cards. In fact if you pick one sir it could tell me something about you...your past...your present...your future...you financial situation...or even your love life! Here as I riffle down, please say stop anywhere. Take a look at your card. Did you get a good one? Hearts are very lucky and diamonds indicate wealth! What did you get?"

This is the selection procedure I have used for years. It never fails to get a good laugh and it serves as a logical way to introduce the blank card.

Anyway, that's it...I sincerely hope that some of you will find this information as useful as I have...

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I find it funny that many magicians slam the Ambitious Card trick. In the 2013 issue of Genii, Roberto Giobbi cites The Ambitious Card as one of the top ten card tricks ever. I do it all the time and it never fails to get a good response.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 21:33, Cody S. Fisher wrote:
After reading a few similiar posts on this thread, this may help some of you...it was published in MUM many years ago...

The Annoying Vanishing Deck by Cody S. Fisher

(A Brief Essay On Problems And Solutions)

Problem: After performing strolling magic for a few hours you look down at your cards…and half of your deck has vanished!

Actually this is not a trick…but rather a major problem I used to have. Basically anytime you are performing effects where playing cards are signed, ripped, or folded you are indirectly causing your deck to vanish!

Towards the end of the evening you are performing with less than 52 cards. This is problematic for several reasons. First of all your sleights may be off as you are probably used to practicing with 52 cards. Secondly, since cards are being used for other signed card effects you are eliminating other possible card effects you can do. For example, one night I wanted to perform “twisting the aces” at the end of my set…well I only had three aces. I thought no problem…I will just do “twisting the kings”…Oh no…I only had two kings! That night I actually had to perform “twisting the nines”…just didn’t have the same feel for some reason.

Another problem with “signed cards” is that for laymen it sometimes does not rule out the thought of duplicates! I have performed signed card to wallet for many years. It always amazed me when I pulled out the signed card out of my wallet only to have someone “reason” that I had two of them!

This certainly does not happen that often…but enough times to get me to thinking about a logical solution. The problem is that playing cards are very common to a layperson…that’s why they often “forget their card” or even suspect duplicates. Most laymen don't think about cards that much, at least not as much as we do!

My Solution:

I wanted a way in which their signed card would not only be remembered but would prove without a doubt that there is only one card like it in the world! The simple solution to all the above problems is to simply force a “blank card” whenever I plan on marking, tearing, or folding it. That’s it!

The blank card solution solves all of the above mentioned problems. First of all when you force a blank card for all your effects that involve destroying cards, you are basically “saving” the rest of the cards in your deck. By adding a blank card to your deck every time, you are always one card ahead; and at the end of the night you still have a complete deck!

The blank card also solves the less frequent problem of your audience considering the use of a duplicate. When I have them sign their name on the card, I also have them draw a little picture or add their phone number, etc. You get the idea. Basically I have them make this card “so unique” that the thought of a duplicate is NEVER questioned.

Finally, the blank card is easily remembered because it is so unusual. My friend David Regal calls this concept “An Oddity”. Most laymen have never seen a blank faced playing card. Even the concept of a blank faced card is amazing to some spectators. Trust me if they pick a blank card and design it themselves they will remember it.

My Patter:

When I use this in performance I have the blank card on top of the deck ready to be forced. I pressure fan the cards as I say, "Playing cards actually evolved from Tarot cards. In fact if you pick one sir it could tell me something about you...your past...your present...your future...you financial situation...or even your love life! Here as I riffle down, please say stop anywhere. Take a look at your card. Did you get a good one? Hearts are very lucky and diamonds indicate wealth! What did you get?"

This is the selection procedure I have used for years. It never fails to get a good laugh and it serves as a logical way to introduce the blank card.

Anyway, that's it...I sincerely hope that some of you will find this information as useful as I have...

Cody S. Fisher

Great idea. Thanks!
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
If they choose a blank card wont they automatically think it is a trick deck?
Grippo's Wish
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Grippo's Wish
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 21:33, Cody S. Fisher wrote:

My Solution:

Cody S. Fisher

Mr. Fisher, why not use the "joker". IMO it's much better since it's still a regular card.

In regards the spectator thinking that you have a duplicate of the signed card, have them "rub" the ink after it has dried. Also, have them write the date and/or time.

In regards the question itself of getting without cards, Master Magician Jimmy Grippo (where have I heard of him) used to have serveral packs and open a new one frequently. Of course, he was working on Ceaser's Palace, so that was not a problem for him...

But if you have the money maybe you can think opening at least 2 packs each night. gotta go.
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
Always loved the blank ACR by Greg Wilson from his Pyrotechnic Pasteboards DVD.
D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
I responded to Jim via personal message, because I didn't want to take away from the original topic. Since there have been a couple of suggestions on ways to deal with a dwindling deck, I thought I would share my solution. I have been playing with Wayne Houchin's Counterfeit Hollingworth. The Dwindling deck was a major problem. I believe my solution for this effect would work for any effect where a card is folded, torn, burned, or signed handed out.

In the case of the T&R, I have about 20 cards prepped for the restoration of the torn card. In that same box, I keep duplicates to all the restoration cards. So the restoration cards are in order from Front to back and the Dups are in order from back to front. Before I approach a group, I pull a card from the front of the box and note it before replacing it to my pocket. That's the card I use for the T&R. After the effect, I hand that card to the spectator as a keepsake. I then reach into my pocket, pull the card from the back of the box and replace the card I just gave out. In this case, I use cards from three decks.

If you apply this idea to a simple signed and handed out card, then you would have a second deck in your pocket and before the effect, pull a card from its box(any card), note the card, and then place it loose into your pocket. Then force it's twin. After your done, grab the loose card from your pocket and refill your deck. Grab a new card from the box, note it, and place it in your pocket loosely. Rince and Repeat up to 52 times (54 if your willing to use the Jokers). And you never have to go back to your back for refills.

I hope this helps.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I like doing an ACR then cards to pocket and finish with paperclipped. been my staple for years. Boring for magicians but great for lay people.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Hmm.. off the top of my head

Everything S200 said .. and:

Timely Departure (Bannon)
Shuffle Cut Deal (Sankey)
Overkill (Harris)
Untouched (Daryl)
Back In Time (Sankey)
Search & Destroy (Fisher)
An Equalizer Revealment (Columbini)
Deal, Duck, Poker (Columbini)
ACR - paperclipped (Sankey)
Cards & Dice Prediction (Columbini)
The M.U.M Miracle (Columbini)
Card to mouth (Sanders)
Card to Pocket
Card to Spec' Wallet (UCCU)
LIT (Dan Hauss) - if you have the prop fo rthe reveal

If you have a double backer you can get in there .. any thing from Harlan's " A lil' R & B".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite stolling effect with a regular deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL