The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sad News out of Canada (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Meanwhile, there's another interesting citizen-generatedpetition available for your signatures at the White House website:

Quote:
Eliminate armed guards for the President, Vice-President, and their families, and establish Gun Free Zones around them

Gun Free Zones are supposed to protect our children, and some politicians wish to strip us of our right to keep and bear arms. Those same politicians and their families are currently under the protection of armed Secret Service agents. If Gun Free Zones are sufficient protection for our children, then Gun Free Zones should be good enough for politicians.

It has almost 20,000 signatures so far. According to White House rules, another 5,000 signatures before January 22 will require an official response.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
NO ONE IN POWER IS TALKING ABOUT TAKING GUNS AWAY FROM ANYONE>!!!!

Jeez, you people are F'n Crazy!

I like the new Talking Point-- " "They" are making it illegal for us to defend ourselves"

Complete nonsense. But very believable for a simpleton.

Get A Life!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 13:08, Pecan_Creek wrote:

and we can verify your capitalized opinion... how?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Never mind.

I just got a call from the leftist antichrist leadership , we start picking up the guns tommorrow.

I hope your 10,000 rounds of .223 lasts ya!

Oh, is your house drone proof ?
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 13:08, Pecan_Creek wrote:

Jeez, you people are F'n Crazy!

I like the new Talking Point-- " "They" are making it illegal for us to defend ourselves"

Complete nonsense. But very believable for a simpleton.

Get A Life!

Actually that is patently false.

Under Sen. Feinstein's proposed gun ban, all current "assault rifles" will be grandfathered in provided...

1) They're registered with a $200 NFA tax stamp.
2) The owner undergoes an ADDITIONAL background check.
3) A local judge or police chief may deny people the right to keep their "assault rifles." They are not required to give reason. If they do, the weapon must be surrendered to the government.

In Illinois...

Currently proposed legislation would ban the possession, transfer, sale or manufacture of ANY, yes, that's ANY semi-automatic assault rifle OR HANDGUN. There would be no grandfathering and all currently (and legally owned) firearms in this category would be confiscated. Failure to comply would of course result in a felon charge and prison time.

So would you like to revise your statement? Or just continue sounding foolish?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 09:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Fine. You're as right as you wish to be. Let those who would own and use guns continue to do so. You can comfort yourself knowing that if a bear wanders onto your porch or your house is invaded by people seeking to harm you... you can protect yourself with a gun if you choose to.

I will not be comforted in the fact that there will be more morons out there who think they know what they're doing and more innocents will be put in peril so you can protect yourself from some potential threat that, statistically speaking, probably isn't going to happen.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Ed,

Far more people are injured and killed by criminals than are injured and killed in firearms accidents, so that if the threats you think Jonathan is worried about are "statistically speaking" probably not going to happen, the threats that frighten you so much, again "statistically speaking," do not exist.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 10:48, Woland wrote:
Hi Ed,

Far more people are injured and killed by criminals than are injured and killed in firearms accidents, so that if the threats you think Jonathan is worried about are "statistically speaking" probably not going to happen, the threats that frighten you so much, again "statistically speaking," do not exist.

According to the CDC:

In 2011, there were 11,101 firearm homicides in the USA, while there were 19,766 firearm suicides and 851 deaths caused by accidental discharge of firearms.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Right, Magnus. 30,000 deliberate homicides or suicides, vs 851 accidents. And most of those homicides were the work of career criminals. What's irrational about wanting to be able to protect onself against dangers that are, as your post shows, so widespread?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Woland, nobody on this site has ever argued that no one should have self defense. What is at question is whether the current American arms policy is the wisest of all possible alternatives.

Many have suggested that restricting certain types of "assault" weapons is sound policy and will help reduce some kinds of gun crimes. Others have suggested that storage and handling restrictions might reduce the likelihood of accidental discharge. Nobody seems to want to talk about nearly 20,000 firearm suicides.

There are many more options than all-or-nothing.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Suicide is a mental health issue, not a technology issue.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Another update

Quote:
The man accused in the fatal beating of a passenger on the LRT last month is now charged with murder

Jeremy Newborn, 29, originally faced a charge of aggravated assault in the Dec. 28th attack on John Hollar but it was formally upgraded to second-degree murder during a court appearance on Monday.

Hollar, 29, was critically injured in the beating that started just as his northbound train left the Coliseum LRT station and continued until the train was met by police at Clareview.

He died in hospital two days later.

Newborn is scheduled to return to court in February
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 07:52, Pecan_Creek wrote:
Umm, Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?

Foolish it is then.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Once you didn't fall for the trick of thinking that any sentence in all capital letters must be true, there's not much room for a follow-up.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks for the update, Magnus. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the trial.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 12:43, Woland wrote:
Right, Magnus. 30,000 deliberate homicides or suicides, vs 851 accidents. And most of those homicides were the work of career criminals. What's irrational about wanting to be able to protect onself against dangers that are, as your post shows, so widespread?

I'm not talking "accidents." An accident is when the gun goes off by accident. The person didn't know it was loaded or didn't know it was going to go off. These are people taking the gun, pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger, only to find out afterwards that the person they shot either didn't have a gun of their own or may well have been a family member in a misunderstanding.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 13:51, Woland wrote:
Suicide is . . . not a technology issue.

Suicide is a mental health issue . . . .

It isn't even always a mental health issue. (Though I know what you mean.)
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 22:22, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

I'm not talking "accidents." An accident is when the gun goes off by accident. The person didn't know it was loaded or didn't know it was going to go off......

Not to split hairs, but what you just described is not an accidental discharge. It's a negligent discharge.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 00:53, RobertSmith wrote:

Not to split hairs, but what you just described is not an accidental discharge. It's a negligent discharge.

Is that NRA spin?

Actually, a negligent discharge is a form of accidental discharge. At least that's what U.S. Army safety officials say:

http://www.stripes.com/news/disturbing-t......-1.22443

"Very few of these incidents happen due to a malfunction of the weapon itself; it is almost always due to negligent actions of the operator, or improper or inadequate training and supervision. Army safety officials prefer the term accidental discharge [but] most leaders use negligent discharge ... to drive home the point." - Lt. Col. Susan Meisner, U.S. forces spokeswoman in Afghanistan.

It's not just the U.S. Army. Most others also consider negligent discharges to be forms of accidental discharges.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 00:53, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 22:22, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

I'm not talking "accidents." An accident is when the gun goes off by accident. The person didn't know it was loaded or didn't know it was going to go off......

Split all the hairs you want. "Accidental" or "Negligent," it still boils down to the person holding the gun did not intend to fire it.
The cases I've brought up, the gun was intentionally fired. It was just fired at someone who turned out NOT to be a threat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sad News out of Canada (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL