The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
According to the Canadian Encyclopedia, there are only 3 species of nuthatch in Canada. The Pygmy Nuthatch is found only in southern BC.

So that leaves you with only red- and white-breasted nuthatches to sort out, Laurie. Smile (But you have my 100% assurance that the ones in the pic are white-breasted)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much, John. I'll keep an eye out for these, too, then :

red-breasted nuthatch!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Check this out:

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
More pics of the active porcupine den posted previously. I went back today to confirm that there was scat inside.

Note the well travelled, dirty trail leading out of the den.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
At the bird feeders today: birds, a couple of squirrels, and a little mouse- I think it was a mouse. Maybe you can see- peeking out in the lower right of the photo at the intersection of beams...

and peeking left of center in this pic:

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
A couple of red squirrels out today. One of them would run off and then sneak up behind me and climb a little ways up the tree beside me, then peek around at me- I didn't point my camera on those occasions. I think we're on pretty good terms. Smile

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Cool pics. Have you gotten a look at that porcupine yet or do they stay pretty well out of sight?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Marlin. I think this time of year they're harder to get a glimpse of so right now I'm happy finding signs- still hoping to get some nice tracks- maybe in mud in the Spring, still looking for some quills, and I'll be watching for more niptwigs and also for baby porcupines when it warms up, too. Then likely gotta look up- waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up- and see if I can find a big one sleeping in a tree, maybe. Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
It would be cool to come across one. We supposedly have quite a few but in all my years walking around in the woods I've never seen a live one in the wild. Good luck and keep the pics coming.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's some help with those mice photos back there:

Saw some deer tracks today. I know partial dog tracks can sometimes be mistaken for deer prints but I'm confident these are legit. First spotted them near the birdfeeders and again a little farther back up the trail in a couple of spots. Some cedar around each time. There are dogs out there and I've got a few pics for comparison.

This dog seemed to leave complete prints very consistently.

The points of the back of the leg were visible in most tracks- yay!

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The birdies and I shot a very nice video yesterday. Just waiting for it to upload on youtube. Wait til you see what they did. They're awesome.

The original is clearer, I think, but this is still pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

http://youtu.be/xoujOuYm2bE
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

In the thick of a long, cold winter (as ours certainly has been this year), chickadees are a constant source of delight. Thanks for the pics and videos.

I still haven't been able to get out for pictures, but I do intend to. It's still the time of year where I go to work in the dawn and return in the dusk, so my picture-taking hours are greatly reduced. But if you'll settle for pictures of tracks, I've got plenty of those just out my door.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're welcome, John. Tracks are great. If you've got them, I'd like to see them, sure. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We get all sorts of cool wildlife here in the Ozark Mountians. I forget, sort of take it for granted I guess. What a horrible thought that is huh? How dumb.

We have Bobcats which make a sound that is scary as can be. Not a large wild cat by big cat standards but my female Boxer was in heat and on our back porch. I heard this odd sound and I went out to check on her. The sound was a Bobcat in the woods. Not a growl or anything you would think is a cat noise. I could not figure out what it was trying to do but thought it had to do with her being in heat.

Snakes are big here. Cottonmouths sun themselves on the pavement often. We had a Pygmy Rattlesnake curled up by our front door.

Deer roam about all over. Sort of a driving hazard. Woodpeckers, and a frog that almost killed me! (I had just had my ACL replaced and had the brace on my leg. I was checking the filter on the pool, which is on a retaining wall. Well the pool attracts frogs, which make a LOUD and I mean LOUD noise at dusk. Much louder than should come out of such a small frog! Well I was bent over looking at the filter and the frog lets loose a loud noise and I almost fall off the wall. How embarassing would THAT have been?)

Not to mention all the wildlife at the lakes.

We sort of take it for granted. Laurie, thank you for making me take a better look at what is right outside my door. I will get pics of the frogs in April. I promise. Maybe video so you can hear the noise.

Oh to be on topic. Tracking is sort of second nature here in the mountians.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I love frogs, Danny. I'd love to hear what you've got.

The occasional lynx and cougar can be seen in our river valley, but I've never heard of bobcats this far north. Cats are cool and scary.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're welcome, Danny and thanks for posting. We had some frogs in the bog out on the trail here last spring and the noise they were making- I'm having a little trouble recalling it, but recollect it was like something out of the Twilight Zone. My sister recorded some video/audio. We even brought my Mom out there to let her have a listen and she wasn't sure she'd ever heard anything like it. I look forward to seeing/hearing what you've got there, Danny.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Saw the mouse again today, but couldn't get a pic! My sister found a piece of the deer trail I missed last time! Some new woodpecker excavations. More porcupine sign- found a urine trail in front of that den yesterday and took a shot of more combined trails today in another frequented spot.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL