We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, landmark wrote:
What kind of duck is the duck mid-pack with the white neck and dark body?

Most likely some sort of domestic mallard, or domestic mallard and some other barnyard duck hybrid. Domestics come in a lot of crazy patterns because people keeps all sorts of ducks together and let them interbreed. That why it's trouble when they breed with wild ducks, It's very harmful to the gene pool.

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here very much. I see very few domestic ducks in the wild, even in parks. Most likely due to the cold winters we get.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Ba doodness! What kind of turtle is that?

Sadly, I'm too far north for turtles; they only live in the southernmost part of the province, near the Montana border. Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Not sure what kind of turtle. I think a red eared slider. We're not far from Montana
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I like ducks
~Will Rogers
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Me too. In Florida, we had Muscovies. I had about a dozen regular visitors. Very friendly. I wonder if they are wild or domestic? Kinda messy, but nice duck. Never seen 'em anywhere else.

Doug
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Grey squirrels are still my favorites of the locals. Turkey are plentiful around here too
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Nice pics guys. This is one of the best times around here to start bird watching, you never know what you might see.(saw the first Bluebird of the year today). I'm right on track with the ducks, just checked two of my best spots today. Things are opening up and I'm seeing a lot of Mallards working the area. Over the next couple of weeks or so, depending on the weather, I expect to start seeing Woodies, Ring-Necks, Red Heads, and both Blue and Green Winged Teal, among others. Hoping for a glimpse of a Pintail in full plumage but that's gonna take some work and a lot of luck.

Time to trade in the snow boots for the Mudders and hit the marshes. Love it!

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Saw this guy today, wish I could have gotten a better picture. It's an American Kestral. If you've never seen one look them up, they are beautiful birds. I see them around now and then but have never been able to get a decent picture of one.

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
*thumbsup*
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Lots of courtship/mating action going on with the geese. The classic neck stretching, head rolling, and vocalizing. And fighting off of rivals. I wish I would have had my video cam, I could have gotten much better footage. And better sound, you can't hear the hissing and other sounds they make in that video. Maybe I will get back over there tomorrow. I estimate 50-100 pair will nest there.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
This is a fun thread. We have been blessed with bald eagles nesting in one of our trees for the past three years. We have been able to watch the eaglets grow and test their wings and finally leave the nest. Unfortunately one of them died last year. He made it to the ground where he just kind of hung around for a few days. We called the DNR and they came out to check on him, but he died.

The tree is about 6 feet from our house and the eagles make a real mess! Dead fish litter the yard, and the whitewash can't be cleaned from the sidewalk! We also routinely find beautiful feathers in the yard but it is illegal to possess them.

It's fun to watch them swoop down into the water for fish; just a beautiful thing to see. On the negative side, people are always parked in their boats right off our dock watching the things.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Hey Starrpower, I'm in WI as well. Bald eagle sightings used to be a rarity but now are pretty common. It's still a thrill to see them though. Must be cool to have a nest so close. You're right about it being illegal to possess those eagle feathers. In fact, many people don't realize that it's illegal to possess almost any kind of wild bird feather.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have a friend who is native American. He is allowed by law to possess them, so I give the feathers to him. I guess technically I "possess" them in the interim. The reason is they don't want poachers killing the birds for trophies.

Where are you in WI?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
I have a friend who is native American. He is allowed by law to possess them, so I give the feathers to him. I guess technically I "possess" them in the interim. The reason is they don't want poachers killing the birds for trophies.

Where are you in WI?

My girlfriend can legally possess them as well. Yes, it to protect the birds that's why having a hawk, or even a cardinal feather, is illegal. You can't hunt those birds so there is no way to prove whether it was a found feather or if the bird was killed illegally.

I'm in the Milwaukee area. I've seen eagles in Mequon and Thiensville as well as out in Lake County. And many, many more up north. Where are you?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
And after several sunny warm days it's supposed to snow this afternoon. Welcome to Spokane
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tracking (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL