The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anima by Michel & Vernet Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 11:20, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I might not be the most experienced, or longest serving poster here.... but one thing I do know....
...Nobody likes Jamie Ferguson.

Oh dear!!

There I was trying my best to boost your credibility factor and you come out with something like that!

Credibility gone in the press off the submit button.

Nowt wrong with Jamie's views in here! Good source for debate.

Grow a pair!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-01-19 12:20, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Real Secrets material actually makes for good bookmarks. So the two are complementary.

Now back to the topic at hand - the merits and demerits of Anima.

Nice! Smile
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Ahh come on Rog, it was only a light hearted observation! And he was asking for it... come on Smile He was accusing me of all sorts, unfairly.

Don't regret boosting my credibility, you were right to, and right what you said.

Anyway, back to the topic....
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
TRUE THOUGH! I've noticed nobody likes him!

;)
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I like him, actually. But I also liked your honestly given review, keep 'em coming.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Ah fair enough. Shoulda popped in a smilie possibly?

I enjoy his posts too. So that's not quite nobody likes him.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The guy who gave the bad review didn't like that fact that it wasnt' hi-tech and that he might have to actually 'practice' it AND he stated that it was a "substandard effect".....that alone made me completely disregard his review, he sounds like a hobbyist that only likes self working tricks with no real effort on his end to have a miracle. Any magician worth his salt will put in time into the effect. I may pick this up at some point!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Nope Lunatik... The guy that gave the bad review didn't like it because it was massively overpriced for what you get and the advettising was misleading. Nothing to do with the fact it requires practice as the method IS actually almost self working and requires little skill and no practically ZERO sleight of hand. If you read his post with your eyes open he doesn't complain for one second about the difficulty level of the trick. Zzzzz.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Ummmm, no mark. re-read his review. you completely missed all of his other major complaints. Also, I wonder why he even bought it when he said it was a "substandard effect"? Who in their right mind would perform a substandard effect? Odd that you only recently joined the Café and every single post of yours is on the Anima thread....
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Ummmmmmm, no lunatic. re-read his review, you've completely put words in his mouth. In your previous post, you said he complains about the difficulty and having to practice?? Where is that??? Where does it say that?? ???? Huh?? And yes, it stated a 'substandard' effect AND METHOD FOR the COST!!! FOR THE COST!! His only 'reel' complaint is the cost, and false advertising! You don't even own the trick yet you're claiming my review is rubbish...... Roger Kelly is right, there are some real tools on here, just out to put other magicians down and hang off every word they say... Just like people do with every word Dave and Craig say - nobody can win!

And for the last time, I am not a new member of the Café. Why do you think there is a 2 at the end of my name? There was a Magicwmarkworldwide and a magicmarkworldwide1 before this one.... passwords got lost and forgotten. And anyway, how narrow minded is it to completely disregard someone's post because they are new members? And have less than 1000 posts? I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 08:39, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!

Here's a book you might find helpful... Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Win-Friends-......91906814
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I'm interested in this effect but I lost interest in this drama many posts ago. This sniping back & forth has gone on for
more than 2 pages. I'm sure I'm not the only member that would like to see one side finally have the good sense to just
let this drop. A quote from Twain comes to mind:
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference” ;-)
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 10:48, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 08:39, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!

Here's a book you might find helpful... Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Win-Friends-......91906814

Good advice. May I add one book more:
http://www.amazon.com/Win-the-Crowd-eboo......ve+Cohen
Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 10:13, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Ready for an honest review?
------------------------------------------

OH MY GOD. What have I done. I've just spent £65 on yet another piece of plastic on a thread reel. I feel sick.... really sick.....

For this amount of money, I was expecting something high-tech... something mechanical, something with batteries..., I don't know, a remote control... something flash. What I've actually got is something that must have cost £3 to make... There is absolutely NOTHING new here, nothing inventive - NOTHING high tech - NOTHING to justify the whopping price tag on this thing. HOW ON EARTH IS THIS £65?>??????? It should be £25 MAX.... I have been so stupid.... so so stupid... so naive.

The fact that the gimmick looks like a remote control is totally THE OPPOSITE. It might be disguised as a remote, but there is nothing remote, or control abount it. This is a glorified, generic t***** r***.... I'm just absolutely gutted by the price, and what you get.....! Here I was thinking HAUNTED was expensive for what you get... this has got to be the most unfair price tag ever, and yes, I was a total suck to fall for it.

I've been 'playing' with it for 2 hours, already got it down to a satisfactory level, but it's nothing special at all. And no, you cannot control the speed... In fact, the whole thing seems very clumsy... and, it is far, far too easy to flash the gimmick. AGAIN, maybe this takes practice, but I am posting this review based on just 2 hours. Like it or leave it. The DVD is quite annoying, there is nowhere near enough explanation on the moves, and, they are only from one angle facing the camera - so you end up having to do THE OPPOSITE....

As for the ad copy.... a bit misleading. It sates NO SET UP - what exactly classifies as 'no set up'?? By no set up - they obviously mean -NO PRE SET UP to the deck before the audience tough it... you still have to SET IT UP in your hands as you do the trick under a little misdirection (but obviously there is always something, si I'm probably being picky here) - Next... they state "you'll not be hooked up" - What the?? Not hooked up? I think having a big thread reel coming out of your pocket and wrapped around the deck 50 times is a little hooked up to me!? LOL OKAY, not hooked up all day walking around, fair enough, I get it...

Sorry if I sound so bitter. It's just I've spent £70 inc postage and packaging for an affect that shouldn't cost ANY MORE than £20. When items are priced up and over the £45 mark... you really expect something a bit special - this is NOT IT. Seriously... just another generic thread reel with some spanish guy's handling and 'hook up'. 65 QUID!! OH MY GOD, I could have bought FOB and SkyCap for that much!!

The worst thing is, because I've spent so much on this, I HAVE TO USE IT NOW, I must force myself to use it and get something from it. As for Dave and Craig's review... possibly it could be a 'worker' if the price tag was 1/3 of what it is... but for 65 quid - I just cannot, cannot recommend this to anyone.

===
Final words:
Anima... more like Enema....
.................................. better put somewhere else.

LOL! This is the funniest review I've read yet!
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Anima... Any one else got a review?
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
Whilst not as frustrated as the "Oh my God what have I done..." guy, Anima did disappoint when first opened. It is by no means a new method to accomplish this classic - rather a rather cynical attempt to justify providing a gimmick to earn a price tag of £60 or so.

Anima is an ingenious and well-made but unnecessary tool to deliver the necessary motivation. It is easy to use but needs some care and audience management in getting ready and cleaning up. I used it a couple of times - did not handle the tension as per instructions and, yep, the gimmick snapped. There are no instructions on how to maintain the Amina gimmick, which at this price is an accident waiting to happen. The irony is that, rather than repair it, which seems really difficult, you'd simply replace it with an IT reel - thus proving the fallacy of proving this gimmick in the first place. I guess the realities of Vernet's business model is that putting out a DVD with the handling, for you to use your own mechanism, isn't the business they're in.

BUT... pause for thought: the handling of this prop detailed on the DVD is SUPERB! If only it was issued as a DVD for twenty bucks. But that's not going to help Vernet commercially.

So - is this the answer to the Haunted Deck? I know at least one pro who has decided so. He likes the way the gimmick is covered, to eliminate lighting issues, and the way the deck and cards animate. And if you use it regularly to earn money then I guess you'll view the entry price as a business investment. For me, though, whilst the handling is very attractive, breaking that gimmick has spooked me. In fairness, any version depending on IT, or IET, is going to run the risk of tension breaking the works. The straight competitor for this in my view is Nick Einhorn's 'Spooked', which came out in 2003 (I think) and which is possibly no longer available new, but pops up on Magic Week occasionally for around GBP30 (it was the same price as Anima new).

I'd look elsewhere, for a non-thread solution: Justin Miller's Ecliptic and Haunted 2.0 by Mark Traversoni & Peter Eggink are excellent solutions. 'Chill' by Tom Wright is, for me, the best in a one-to-one situation, although again uses a form of thread as its motivation.

Anima also has an application to the Animated Matchbox, which is all but redundant in the UK because no-one now uses matches. This one will play well on the second-hand market. Shame for the early adopters who like me lost their nerve.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
OK, mine broke already. Dang. And I was pretty careful about following the tips to prevent extra stress on the gimmick.

Now time to test Vernet's customer service.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Never heard back from Vernet on the first email I sent on this. Just sent another.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Gosh, that's really poor customer service.

Please keep us up to date with what happens from this point on.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Hi MaxfieldsMagic, any update here?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anima by Michel & Vernet Magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL