The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Downsizing... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Has anyone downsized and sold most of their magic. If so, Why did you? And, how did you sell it? Ebay? Craighlist? Café? Magic Club Auction?

I realize I have thousands of dollars of unused stuff, mostly props, illusions, books, kids magic and they are brand new. My kids are grown and out of the "Big" house and if I move they can't go with me because there would not be any room for them. A list of items would be in the hundreds.

Any thoughts?
Dennis Michael
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'll never get back what I paid out for my "magic".... But I didn't buy it to sell or make money when I originally purchased my "stuff".

I'm not a pro like most of y'all but I love my hobby and I perform occasionally, even for money! That said, I've got a lot of stuff and am thinking along the same lines as you are; it's time to move "stuff" on. But it's not easy. I'm waiting for a budding magician in my family to rise to the occasion, but it just ain't happening. I'd give it all to him/her.

I'm retired from corporate and holding on to my treasured magical possessions, but unless I can find a likely family member to leave it all to, I'll probably just donate it to some local magic club somewhere. Not even another looming fiscal cliff crisis, which is months away, would force me to sell my stuff.

I'd rather donate every bit of it than sell to some slimeball who will buy low and profit from my loss.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Yes, I know what you mean. If I go to a Club Auction or a local we have magicians who would by it cheap and sell it on eBay for a profit.
On one hand, that is their business, and respect it.

Hence, I could do the same. In this economy, is this a good choice or just hold on to the asking price?
Dennis Michael
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Dennis all ya gotta do is follow your heart.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

That's tough. My heart breaks when I sell my Magic.
Dennis Michael
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I have. I sold all my illusions and pretty much all stage stuff. It was essentially wasted space and expense. I also had found my place so to speak. I sold some illusions thru eBay, for the rest I put a word out and eventually got it all sold. Parting with them was easy actually. The stuff I have now I wouldnt want to part with, it has become so much a part of my personality.
Sent from my Typewriter
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have no good advise for Dennis, but if you are a young magician and spend big bucks on large single function props you will die with them. A smart magician gets his chops from books, and DVD's. Large single function props will only fill your van, get old fast, force you to make many trips from your car to set up, make you old before your time, and it will make your wife very angry.

My best advise for an upcoming magician is buy smart, and if your tricks don't pack small you will eat them one day.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
My oldest grandson is showing a serious interest so I'm keeping everything.

I'm in the process of catalogueing the books and most expensive props along with suggested ways to dispose of them if my heirs would rather have the money.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
IMHO Old props should be donated to young magicians who will actually use them.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've actually never sold anything. I just lose it or it gets worn out to where it has to be destroyed.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1306 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
Al Angello wrote:
My best advise for an upcoming magician is buy smart...

All upcoming magicians, listen to Al!!! that's easily one of the best bits of advice I've seen here, and I have been here for a while! Wise man.

For me, some of the smartest things to buy (in addition to Sherwood cups) have been a bunch of ProMystic stuff and Q by Cosmo Solano. Packs very very small. These days the only "lump of a prop" I have is the Master Prediction which is a keeper as its so customizable for corporate clients, not to mention its a beautiful prop I craved for years before I got it.
Sent from my Typewriter
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I use my magic library all the time silks, cards, dollar bills, coins, rubber bands, and ropes are cheap. It's not the prop, it's the magician who makes the magic.

Buy quality props that have versatility, and you will always be able to use them in many different ways.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Downsizing... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL