The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Steel Ball and Tube : Locking vs Non-Locking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
My local magic dealer has two version of this effect, one by E-Z Magic for about $3 and one by someone else for about $13.

Now the $13 dollar one is more solid and the shell *locks* into place. The E-Z Magic one does not. Also the more expensive one has a more solid look to it.

My question to you guys who've done this effect is, which would you choose? It may seem pretty simple to choose based on what things look like, but many times (as us Magi well know) looks can be deceiving!

Is the locking one more trouble then its worth? Sometimes simplicity is preferable. Plus I'm a bit worried that the locking one would not hold up under examinations.

You guidance and sharing of experience is greatly appreciated!

ChessMess
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I had a Johnson version, I think it cost about $30 or so. It worked fine, but it seemed more like a puzzle to me. It's not very magical in my opinion. I just didn't want to have to carry around another gadget with me, so I traded it off.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
I like the simple one that doesn't lock.
It doesn't look so much like a prop, and I remember I was fooled by it when I was very young.

It just looks like a ball and tube, and you could make the ball smaller with your mind! Or the tube bigger? I was so confused.

The gimmicked one I saw later on didn't make much of an impression in my mind. It looks too precious and prop like. Even if you didn't know the method you would assume it was gaffed in some way.

Go for the simple one!

Simon
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The simple trick is the better one. I have a great little clean-up and idea with it in my book too. If you decide to get one, e-mail me later at paul@mindguy.com and I will send you my idea OR just get my book and have it all.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Steel Ball and Tube : Locking vs Non-Locking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL