The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let's Argue about a Different Amendment!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
So if one is thinking on one side only, one might have had a stroke.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_tayl......ght.html
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 08:26, tommy wrote:
So if one is thinking on one side only, one might have had a stroke.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_tayl......ght.html

Thank You Tommy,

That is a great lecture - Professor Bolte Taylor has a great gift for making the complicated comprehensible - and a wonderful story.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Stone,

The promise that there would be a "Bill of Rights" was necessary in order to gain ratification of the Constitution. It was a very close call in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. In retrospect, I think George Mason was probably right.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Stone has it right- "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Saying I can turn east does not mean I can not turn west or go straight.

May we add others, Destiny? If so, it seems part of the 14th may come into play soon:

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ..... shall not be questioned....."

Goodbye Debt Ceiling fight?? What say...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 03:58, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

You probably got it from Fox news and the right wing blogs you read as gospel.

I love telling you you're just full of doo-doo, which, you are, of course. Most of us right thinking folks think that about you, but oh, you're so-o-o-o-o smart because you're a lawyer....uh-oh, well, maybe not a real lawyer, but a "once was", like VSOP Cognac? Very Special, Old Pale? Smile

I don't how smart Bob thinks being a lawyer makes him; I just think it justifiably makes him think he knows more about the law than the armchair (read "non") lawyers.
As a very good general rule, people who haven't been to law school (let alone passed the bar and practiced) have absolutely no idea how little they know about the law.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You're right, Lobo, but it's not worthwhile to feed the troll.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 12:12, mastermindreader wrote:
You're right, Lobo, but it's not worthwhile to feed the troll.

LOL.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well it is a 17 page document so being a lawyer isn't needed. Knowing how to think critically won't hurt though.

Most who quote the document have not read it.

Too many opinions are formed by what others think of information.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Bob1Dog is brought to you by the letter G.

Who needs all those other pesky letters?

God, Guns and GOP.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-06 16:05, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well it is a 17 page document so being a lawyer isn't needed. Knowing how to think critically won't hurt though.

Most who quote the document have not read it.

Too many opinions are formed by what others think of information.

And hundreds of thousands of pages of Supreme Court decisions interpreting it. Opinions that lawyers have read and are familiar with.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Were lawyers involved in the drafting of these "amendments",and the original bit of work?
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes. Well over half of the framers of the Constitution were lawyers.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 18:50, mastermindreader wrote:
Well over half of the framers of the Constitution were lawyers.

Well, that explains a lot!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-06 18:52, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 18:50, mastermindreader wrote:
Well over half of the framers of the Constitution were lawyers.

Well, that explains a lot!

I was wondering who would be the first to take a swing at the softball I just lobbed over the center of the plate!

:eek:
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, but many of those men had the advantage of being basically self-educated and trained primarily by apprenticeship.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
I don't how smart Bob thinks being a lawyer makes him; I just think it justifiably makes him think he knows more about the law than the armchair (read "non") lawyers.
As a very good general rule, people who haven't been to law school (let alone passed the bar and practiced) have absolutely no idea how little they know about the law.

I am non-lawyer, but I think the law is awesome (probably pretty tough to graduate law school) and I enjoy reading about the law. I will say this though, paying a good attorney to set up a papers of incorporation or Articles of Organization for an LLC in the long term is much cheaper than setting it up through Legal Zoom or myllc.com. Not to mention the Operating Agreement a lawyer writes for your business is way way way better than any Operating Agreement you can get off lawdepot.com. So, I think a good attorney, though expensive, is well worth the money.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for a law firm, but just giving my honest opinion. You're right, it's best to leave the legal side of the house to the lawyers (and not take shortcuts like through legal zoom or myllc.com), but it also doesn't hurt for anybody to read up on the law themselves either and know some of the basics, just leave the real legal work to the lawyers.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Lobo,

A good strategy for a business or anybody really to pursue is to prevent the costs of the courtroom (the costs of the courtroom is astronomical and can cripple a business), similar, to a good national security strategy for a nation is to achieve safety, security, protect and further national interests all while preventing the costs of war (Sun Tzu's "win without fighting" strategy) or in this particular case "win without litigation" as litigation and the costs of judgements or any sort of punishment can be extraordinarily high. But like any good strategy of prevention, it requires an up front investment on the part of the nation or business. Spend money now to save a whole lot of money later on. It's not smart to be penny wise but pound foolish.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 12:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:

What if they've seen The Paper Chase, and every episode of Perry Mason and Boston Legal?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Two words: Ally McBeal.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Actually, Perry Mason accurately demonstrated how a defense attorney can win ninety-nine percent of his cases. Just make sure your opponent is Hamilton Burger.

The film,The Paper Chase came out just before I entered law school. It was a very accurate description of the law school experience. The thing about the Socratic method of teaching, is that you either learn very quickly how to think on your feet, or you keep out of trial law and stick to writing contracts, wills and trusts.

It was a skill that served me well when, at age thirty-eight, I left the practice of law to become a full-time mentalist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let's Argue about a Different Amendment!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL