The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » AMBITION /by the godfather » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, GDW, you won't know until you share.

And for what it's worth, it's a bit crazy to expect that everyone will get something out of what you do. Simply, that does not have to be the case. Hopefully when you put something out, someone will get something out of it. I happen to think that whether Vinny offers something for free or for cost, there will be people that will get something out of it, and that's all that has to happen to make it worthwhile and successful.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thank you Marion fo saying that ..... and being a true friend everyone has a opinion,..

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 11:50, Mb217 wrote:
Well, GDW, you won't know until you share.

And for what it's worth, it's a bit crazy to expect that everyone will get something out of what you do. Simply, that does not have to be the case. Hopefully when you put something out, someone will get something out of it. I happen to think that whether Vinny offers something for free or for cost, there will be people that will get something out of it, and that's all that has to happen to make it worthwhile and successful.

I won't know what until I share?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 11:49, vinsmagic wrote:
Gdw good points , but for those critiquing the controls have they tried them ???? or is it just they do not like what they see?/ remember this is on camera not in real life.

if you watch Eric Jonesb perform my move it looks teriffic in his hands of course proper angles and perfect lighting ect ect
no one ever said it was bad when he did it that's because it was performed by someone other than me ,and I am the target here believe it or not/

Well, like I said, the critiques seem to be focused on the execution. The way the actions almost always seem to be calling attention to themselves. The moves are almost emphasized, rather than made to look like natural and motivated actions.

Joe Momma
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Joe Momma
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 11:06, Vlad_77 wrote:
@Joe Momma: WHY was Malini's magic "better?"

I didn't say it was better. I said it was good.

Thanks for playing though, pick up your goody bag on the way out.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Gdw any time a I have put up a demo yourself, kent Tony have, alwasy disliked my work but I am agood friend with kent......and if we met we would also be good friendsthat I am sure of however at leas t tryone of my ideas then get back to me.
a now we have Rage at least I have the guts to put my name out there and not hide behind a rabbit..using a flase3 name..
if I was akded who my favorite magician was of all time it was Carl Ballentine was a he a great sight of hand artist no ,but he was one of the best performers of all time he did things that was completey different than the norm. this is who I immulate...
an other great performer today is Wit Haydan only he has chops to go along with is performance.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Although I can't speak for Tony, or Kent, I believe this is the first time I've ever posted anything critical of your work.
I remember once commenting on the over modulating of your voice in all your videos, and sugested either a new mic, or simply speaking softer yourself, but that's about it, again, as far as I can remember.

Joe Momma
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Joe Momma
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 13:44, gdw wrote:
Although I can't speak for Tony, or Kent, I believe this is the first time I've ever posted anything critical of your work.
I remember once commenting on the over modulating of your voice in all your videos, and sugested either a new mic, or simply speaking softer yourself, but that's about it, again, as far as I can remember.

That's what happens on the internet. Someone makes a point that annoys someone. The annoyed person cannot actually argue against the point, so makes up some stuff to argue about in order to vent. Straw men I believe they are called.
Joe Momma
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Joe Momma
Quote:
On 2013-01-08 12:46, vinsmagic wrote:I was akded who my favorite magician was of all time it was Carl Ballentine was a he a great sight of hand artist no ,but he was one of the best performers of all time he did things that was completey different than the norm. this is who I immulate...

Job done. You emulate him perfectly.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Framing goes a long way toward shaping people's responses.

Consider the difference:

1) "Here's a video catalog of my original controls for moving an inserted card to the top of the deck."
vs.
2) "Here's an ambitious card routine featuring my original controls."

#1 offers the moves and invites the reader to evaluate the mechanics and/or decide whether any of the moves might suit him/her for various applications.

#2 implicitly claims the moves are well suited for the Ambitious Card effect, AND presents the video as a routine -- not as a catalog of sleights, not as a collection of possible phases for Ambitious Card, but as a routine.

As magicians, we can direct our audience's focus and shape their response. People will focus on different aspects and respond very differently to the same video, depending on the sentence(s) used to frame it.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-05 14:15, vinsmagic wrote:
This is a ambitious card routine with out the use of a double or tripple lift using all of my controls except for the Hop ...
http://youtu.be/DPdPJukFkHY

Having watched this thread for a few days now, and taken in the remarks from many long-time posters here as well as a few of our newest members, I'd like to add a few thoughts of my own. Take them for what they're worth (which I'll readily condede may not be much):

Vinny: you and I live too close to each other never to have met in person; I hope that that will change in the near future. Your generosity here is legendary, and your skill with a deck of cards far surpasses mine. I believe that a few here took your original post to mean that this was a routine - not simply a demonstration of a few sleights - and it's hard to blame them for that given your original post (quoted above). You've since said that you didn't intend it as a finished routine:

Quote:
On 2013-01-07 20:04, vinsmagic wrote:
. . . what I shot was not a routine just some ideas . . . .

Fair enough. Wipe away all of the criticisms that preceded that post and start afresh. Everyone.

When I first saw the video I thought - as others have said - that the break in tempo on some of the sleights would be too telling to a lay audience ("something happened there"). However, if put into a finished routine, it's easy to see that the breaks in tempo could either be slowed so that they're more in tempo, or covered by misdirection. It's also easy to see that beginners, not realizing that this isn't a finished routine, might emulate the demonstration for a lay audience and be disappointed by the reaction that engenders; that's a fair criticism (though maybe it should be leveled at beginners: understand what you're doing before you perform for the public).

Finally, I'm with Kent in saying that moves of this sort are not my cup of tea. That's my problem, not yours. But even if I would never perform such a routine, I may still be able to criticize it (which includes both positive and negative comments) in a way that gives you food for thought on improving it. (After watching Pop Haydn perform at the Castle, I PMed him with a suggestion to improve (i.e., add another laugh to) one of his routines, even though I would never perform it. I note that his latest adverts have incorporated my suggestion.) I believe that any suggestion that people who dislike something refrain from watching it or commenting on it goes against the spirit of this forum. We shouldn't tolerate attacks, but we should encourage sincere and thoughtful commentary, both positive and negative.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Another small, and I hope non-inflammatory, point is that Vinny has twice said he finds the ambitious card "boaring". Taking that to mean tedious rather than porcine, maybe it's not the best routine to be offering tips on?

I posted Tommy Wonder's routine on page one. I can't really see that as boring, but fair ***** to those who do. I wouldn't have posted a link to Daryl's 18,000 phase ACR, because that, folks, is really quite boring IMHO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » AMBITION /by the godfather » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL