The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Saboteurs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Straight off I’m an amateur. I’ve been doing card-tricks and close-ups for decades; have read a few books and am dexterous and personable enough to entertain the odd relative or coworker. Maybe I’m the odd one…

At my level there is a game within the game. I have to not only successfully pull my slights (generally ungimmicked) in front of their faces; I also often have to wrestle the reveal out of their noncompliant hands. Audience Sabotage is all too common on the picnic circuit. They take too many cards, or don’t put them back. They grab props and examine them mid-trick. They always demand instant repeats or explanations.

Some people hate Dissonance.
Any tips for shutting down sabotage?

Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
194 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Strong Magic has a good section on audience control. If you haven't read that, you should. That being said, some people are just going to try to mess with you no matter what. If that's the case, it's best to just stop right there (if this isn't a paid gig). That or a punch to the throat should do it Smile
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
867 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Also look at your material. Some tricks by the nature of the plot or presentation invokes combative behavior. Also, if you're performing close-up for children it can become a cat and mouse game. They're kids. They want to know.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 11:14, Ed Oschmann wrote:
Also look at your material. Some tricks by the nature of the plot or presentation invokes combative behavior. Also, if you're performing close-up for children it can become a cat and mouse game. They're kids. They want to know.

I don’t do card magic for younger children. They’re rarely impressed and often forget their card.

Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
194 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 11:34, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 11:14, Ed Oschmann wrote:

I don’t do card magic for younger children. They’re rarely impressed and often forget their card.

I have a ton of respect for people who focus on kids magic. It's just a nightmare.
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
I think people make a big distinction between 'a magician' and 'a friend of theirs showing them a magic trick'. The former, they will often watch with amazement and respect, the latter, they will assume if YOU can do it, it's just a trick, and they will have the confidence to challenge you on it. I reckon this is irrespective of your ability. If you went to a restaurant full of strangers you may well not have this problem (especially if they were paying you)!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Saboteurs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL