The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicana #76: The two handed pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sroccaserra
View Profile
New user
Asnières, France
56 Posts

Profile of sroccaserra
Hi,

I’m trying to learn the classic pass, improving but clearly not there yet.

I’ve read a few classic texts already, each one bringing its bits of improvements.

And yesterday I read Magicana #76, in the march 1971 issue of Genii.

And it was like a continuous stream of "Aha!" moments, like all the missing pieces where there!

Here’s a link (askalexander account required):

http://askalexander.org/display/36852/Genii?pgnum=23

I was directed to it by reading a great Paul Chosse post, in this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

I still feel like it will be years before I can do a decent classic pass, but now I feel that I have found THE text for me.

So if you’re working on the pass and have access to this article, you might want to read it.

Cheers!
Sébastien.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
"I still feel like it will be years before I can do a decent classic pass"

This suggests you are on the right track.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 15:28, gdw wrote:
"I still feel like it will be years before I can do a decent classic pass"
This suggests you are on the right track.

In my opinion, I think it suggests that he's on the wrong path. I believe that a "decent" pass can be learned in well under a year-- depending on how much practice time can be had in that year.

Of course, if the OP is just using that phrase to mean "I have a long way to go", then that's a different thing.

sey
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
One more caveat: Definitions.

What one person means by "The Classic Pass" is often very different from another persons definition.

sey
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
Whenever I hear people say "decent classic pass" I wonder what they mean exactly. I'm genuinely interested to hear what criteria they feel they will need to meet to feel it is now decent.

I have a pass. I use it on occasions. It's silent, it's swift and it's done under misdirection with no right hand movement (which I feel is important). I use it as the first phase of ACR and by the reactions after the first revelation I can only assume it is undetectable.

In my mind it's decent. I cant remember how long it took to get there but I'm sure it wasn't years.

So in all honesty and genuine interest, what do people feel makes a decent pass and why (if at all) do they feel it takes years to get there?

Thanks

Mr Pink
LOUIEL
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of LOUIEL
The Expert at the card table describes the classic pass beautifully in GREAT TECHNICAL DETAILS.

There are many other alternatives to the classic pass which look more natural in appearance and are more deceptive IMHO in my honest opinion!

Why the classic pass? As great as it is, did you ask yourself why? For the sake of learning it, perfecting it, you have some serious studying to do.

Good Luck and all the best!

Louie!!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I was more just focusing on the fact that he wasn't suggesting he would have it down in a few more days, or weeks.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 17:22, gdw wrote:
I was more just focusing on the fact that he wasn't suggesting he would have it down in a few more days, or weeks.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification-- we totally agree.

sey
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
194 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Gdw - I understand where you're coming from. It's nice (and seemingly rare nowadays) to hear someone say that they actually need to practice something for an extended period of time before they have it down. So often I see someone mess with a move for a couple days and feel that that is sufficient.
sroccaserra
View Profile
New user
Asnières, France
56 Posts

Profile of sroccaserra
Thanks everyone.

Yes, I feel I have a long way to go. Maybe years, maybe less, I have no idea.

And "silent, swift, no right hand movement, and done under misdirection": when I get there I'll say I have a pretty decent pass I guess!

Louie: no particular reason, I enjoy practicing this particular move and fixing it a bit at a time. To be honest, I don't even know any effect requiring a pass yet! Now that I think of it, it might be that I have no more time to practice my guitar, so I needed something difficult that I could learn with my hands anywhere, in the train, at work, watching TV.

I read the Erdnase two handed shift, but the Miller column was talking right into my ears, if there is such an expression.

Cheers!
Sébastien.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicana #76: The two handed pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL