The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tossed Out Book Test - Chris Philpott (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Just got a very nice comment from Joel Bauer which he allowed me to share:

“This is very powerful stuff. I’m actually upset with you that you released this – I’d have much rather have spent $20,000 to have kept it off the market for myself and a few other people to use.”

Thanks so much, Joel! It's interesting (and gratifying) to me that I keep getting this comment (Richard Osterlind and Jheff at Marketplace of the Mind said something very similar.)

-Chris
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

For those interested in a detailed review of TOBT, check out the latest Genii. Here's a taste:

"If you're in need of a top-notch, well-scripted book test presentation, Mr. Philpott's is interactive (even before the ESP moments occur), clever and sophisticated, appealing to those familiar with literature. If you're a book test lover/collector (and I know you're out there), the quality and methodology of TOBT is excellent. If you're a pro mentalist who works for large audiences and wants a book test that plays really big, TOBT fills the bill and has the potential to be your finale."
-Danny Orleans, Genii Magazine.

Thanks, Danny!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Another great review, this time in Magic Magazine:

“Take a page from Chris Philpott’s book and perform his book test. You’ll be glad you did… All of Philpott’s books will withstand extremely close scrutiny, even by well-read audience members who might be familiar with these titles… has the potential to be staggering… It’s hard to imagine anything more direct… The purchaser will not just receive a devilishly gaffed set of books and a few routines to try out, but he will also be getting a useful tool that could spark his own creativity.”

- Jared Brandon Kopf, Magic Magazine.

Thanks, Jared!

-Chris
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey guys --

I had the pleasure of watching Joe Skilton perform this on Masters of Illusion last night -- he knocked it out of the park! Thanks to Joe for doing such a great job with this!

-Chris
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Why is it that the creator seems to consistently be the only one posting to this thread?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
I use this as a show closer. In my opinion it's far too powerful to be used as an opening effect in the way that the tossed out deck often is.

This effect can be turned into a real set piece.

Superb book test.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On 2013-07-26 00:26, saysold1 wrote:
Why is it that the creator seems to consistently be the only one posting to this thread?

I count 15 other contributions in the thread, including yours, and 11 from Chris Philpott. If you go to his website, you'll see overwhelmingly positive reviews from Osterlind, Maven, etc.

Just sayin' . . .

Cheers,
Jerry
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks, Harrison -- glad it's working out for you! I'm hearing from quite a few people that they're using this as a closer.

I don't mean to over-post, but this is one of the few places to make announcements like new reviews (and thanks for pointing out they've been really positive, Jerry). Not sure why the effect hasn't gotten much café commentary...

-Chris
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I finally broke down and purchased this. And I am GLAD that I did as this is a SUPERB Book Test. I was very skeptical as I have been burned on many Book Tests. However this Book Test will be used for a very long time and I have been using it as my closer right after my Q&A. It is the effect that my Audience talks a lot about besides the Q&A.

If you do not own this BT I would certainly fork over the cash as it is that good. And no I do not know Chris nor have I ever spoken to him on the Phone, Skype, etc. and I have no vested interest in this book with the exception that "I LOVE IT"

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks, Rod -- I really appreciate it!

-Chris
jsereb
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of jsereb
Does anyone know if there is a video of an actual (even truncated) performance of this? Thanks.
christophe
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of christophe
Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Smile Smile
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
christophe
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of christophe
Smile Smile Smile
TBeamanJr
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
55 Posts

Profile of TBeamanJr
I can only repeat what others in this thread have said... it's an amazing test and easy to work into your act (especially if you're used to doing a book test or two as well as a tossed out deck).

Great work on this, Chris!
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks, guys. I've been waiting for Joe Skilton's excellent performance of TOBT on Masters of Illusion to air. One of the cool things about the effect is that because you have five volunteers it makes for a large stage-picture -- but it also makes it tricky to film really well. After seeing how good it looked in the multi-camera MOI shoot (where we worked closely with the director and DP), I knew I could never shoot anything as pretty on my own. However, the airdate has been delayed -- if it takes too much longer I'll reassess.

I've also been focused on my book Intimate Mysteries which came out last month, and my new effect The 100th Monkey, which comes out next week ( http://www.magicaonline.com/the_100th_monkey.htm ). Hopefully, will be able to post some performance footage soon...
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Could TOBT be done on one person who picks a word in each of the 5 books? Thanks!

Regards,
Mike
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Chris is a great guy, and a brilliant thinker.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey insight --

There is a one-book, one word, one-person variation, but I think having one person pick five words would be a bit taxing on his memory. Smile

Hey Gabelson -- dude, aren't you nice! Right back at ya -- I love your work and really look forward to seeing you again! Been too long.

-Chris
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I just got this book test and I must echo all the preceding compliments. This effect is everything it claims to be!

I love how the books are different sizes, use different type, list different publishers, have ISBN #s, and are fully examinable.

I think the late Dick Christian would be delighted by Chris Philpott's Tossed Out Book Test. It's a great effect, both in concept and execution.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Tossed Out Book Test - Chris Philpott (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL