The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mixing Comedy and Manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
My two heroes in magic are Harry Anderson and Lance Burton. In my act; I usually stick with wise guy comedy style things. I tried to be a "serious" magician... and it just wasn't my style (kudos to those of you who can pull that off!!!). Though this is the case I'm going to sincerely try to add a couple escapes and a manipulation act to my show. What I have right now is a disappearing candle I appear and disappear a few times and I've got a short act with Vernet fanning and manipulation cards. I am using mostly fans. I am planning on doing some pretty fans showing they are cards and then using the backs to change colors. After that I grab a few fans from the air; my head;my arm then make the cards in my hand disappear. I'm not (as of yet) comfortable doing single cards. I also have a billiard ball act (basically the tarbell sequence with a few changes).

So that's my story... do you guys think that will fit in with a comedy act? about 5 minutes of serious magic. Also how long should something like that go? I'm thinking of doing it to music... because as soon as I open my mouth out comes wise guy cracks! I've been greatly influenced by Lance Burton's famous "dove act" but do not yet have doves. So any opinions or places to find more information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys SO much!

Siraldi
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22013 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
That's very interesting. I was actually thinking of just taking a step aside and doing a serious manipulation act... but that was... sincerely beautiful!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Ferrel Dillon does talking manip and usually incorporates comedy in it.
Official Thread Killer
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2013-01-11 01:11, Stucky wrote:
Ferrel Dillon does talking manip and usually incorporates comedy in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMoFd3nTv0 Beautiful work.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22013 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-01-10 19:07, Siraldi wrote:
That's very interesting. I was actually thinking of just taking a step aside and doing a serious manipulation act... but that was... sincerely beautiful!

That all depends on your stage personality. We can't see that, so we cannot offer any solutions. Switching character is risky business on stage. It has to be placed in the correct spot and introduced or an explanation offered prior to starting the phase. I do think it is easier to go from serious to funny, then the reverse. If you are being serious, then it may throw you off if the audience starts chuckling.

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
While my style is comedy I open my show with a 3 minute manipulation routine with silks, dove and more.

I also perform several illusions and close with my version of snow storm followed by my thread of life routine.

my point is this. it is not a matter of if you can do it but rather how to do it.

one- it must fit your personality
two- it must stray from the flow of the show (for instance my open is hi energy with lots of wows and a few funny faces)
3----it must be part of who you are. meaning you can not be a grand illusionist one moment and then a stand up comic the next the routines need to compliment each other.
this is not always easy and will take time to work out.

the audience really needs to know who you are and then that person must remain on stage for the whole show. now that being said there is some leeway if you wanted to "add) an character. such as ladies and gentleman I want to introduce you to Mr abracadabra and it can be a character you play. or now its time for DR magic science experiment . these characters can give you an opportunity to be some thing different in your show with out ruining the integrity of the whole show.

hope that makes sense

fee free to look over my site and my videos you will find my manip routine there as well.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Comedy and highly skilled manipulation has worked for me.

For awhile, I focused on the comedy and dropped the magic and replaced it with music.(ukulele and harmonica)

Now I have brought back the strong magic.

Sometimes I include the music by using harmonica(s) and props as well as to play music.

Tomorrow night, I will move from my comfort zone of doing close up to parlor/stage during Kansas City's Ring 129 Stage MOY (Magician of the Year) event/contest.

My goal is for the audience and myself to have fun.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Impressed with both Levent and Dillon (Very). Who makes a ball that can be bounced like that? My old golf balls could bounce but they eventually wasted away.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22013 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is another example from Ferrel Dillion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtVmkO3fco

He spent many hours practicing and rehearsing, it has paid off for the skill he has acquired.

We all should remember that in Vaudeville era many of the stage magicians spoke or used Patter in their magic routines. Silent acts to music were mainly influenced by performers traveling throughout the world and this was a solution for overcoming the language barrier.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mixing Comedy and Manipulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL