The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Using a pre-bent coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I have no experience with coin bending. I do know how to successful pre-bend a coin and what I would like to do is borrow a quarter, switch it out for the pre bent one, have that coin signed and then "bend" the signed coin. Has anyone used this method and if so could you suggest a source to properly learn this? I would like to learn how to have the bent coin signed without it being seen to be bent and the presentation to make it seem like it's actually bending. At this time I would like to focus on coins, not other types of metal bending.

Thanks!
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
You could hold the pre bended coin in a way that the bent is no visible and let the spectator write his initials on the visible part of it.
I'm doing a similar move when I place a pre bended coin in a spectator's hand while I'm covering the bended part with the tips of my fingers.
Searching for the magic side of life...
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I don't think that having them sign a coin that's already bent is a good idea.

get a quantum bender 2 and bend their signed coin.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1101 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Daniel Garcia has a method or two with a pre bent coin on Bent, Touch, Slink.

Or just switch in the bent coin your own way. I use a topit which fits my needs.

None of the above allows it to be signed though.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I'm with Adam on this one. However, you'll pay a LOT for a Quantum Bender 2! It is the way you'll be able to do this. Oh, but you'll hear things like, "Hey what about the...(fill in the blank) bender?" Yeah, a cheaper way to go, but the difficulty increases.

If you cannot afford or find a Quantum Bender 2, this idea might not work for you.

Doug
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3581 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
QB2 is the way to go but can be prohibitively expensive for a hobbiest (but tax deductible for a working pro). If you have a good enough switch then there is no need for a signature. In fact dynamo used an unsigned coin and a painfully bad switch on his tv show and still got great reactions.

Before I got my bender I used a pre-bent coin and TKO and got great reactions. The reactions have not really changed but the bender gives me the convenience of being able to bend whatever coin the spectator hands me and not having to worry whether the condition of the coin matches my bent coin.

It also allows me to let them keep the bent coin without having to worry about having to reset. The spectators only care about the signature if they can see an opportunity for you to have switched it, a clean and well motivated switch rules out any need for a signature.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
I've played around with this idea back in my teen years and this might open your mind to some thing. Buy some of those circle stickers and have them sign there initals on it explaining that its agaist the law to write on the coin...etc. Now when you apply the sticker to the now switched bent coin just don't stick the sticker all the way down and to them it looks like its still there coin un-bent. Then do your bending and say its even more illegal to do this and do your magic..now hand to them and say now we just remove the sticker so noone traces it back to you.

Just an idea to play around with...
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Demitri
You can have the bent coin signed if you pre-bend it the right way. I don't want to delve too deeply into methods or anything, so I sent you a pm.
TomBollandLTD
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TomBollandLTD
I was looking for ways to do this aswell, I like the sticker idea, but the fact that it's not physically ON the coin taints the effect slightly.

I love the simplicity of this trick, but having an audience member sign the coin always just adds that icing on the cake. It also means I can hand them my own duplicate, unbent coin, so I don't have to worry about matching their coin.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I just pre-bend a coin that has a small area that is flat that looks like a regular coin. I hold it in such a way that they sign on the flat part. Then I "bend it".
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
I usually switch the coin on the offbeat. No problem getting a reaction.
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
A good switch works fine. No need to have them sign the coin
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
792 Posts

Profile of scott0819
If you're going to use a pre-bent coin, you should really check out Andrew Gerard's Psyche. It is a VERY well structured routine that starts with their coin and ends with it bent and signed. It is good because it totally avoids the awkwardness of trying to pass off a pre-bent coin as being flat during the signing.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
You could use Roy Kueppers Superman Coin Bend...You can take a borrowed coin and sign it, and then bend it. No switches.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Using a pre-bent coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL