The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I love my country, but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
He was treated a mite differently than David Gregory was treated.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. And he was also treated a mite differently than almost ANYONE who has been charged with a terms of service violation. But the comparison to Gregory is hardly apt given that Aaron Schwartz, one of the co-founders of Reddit, was also a very well known individual. The case hardly supports your contention that there is favoritism toward the rich and famous.

It's a very sad case.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
But the comparison to Gregory is hardly apt given that Aaron Schwartz, one of the co-founders of Reddit, was also a very well known individual.

Unlike David Gregory, however, Aaron Swartz was not a well-connected and very-much-in-the-public-eye supporter of the Administration. And he was not personally acquainted, on very friendly terms, with the prosecutor who decided whether or not to prosecute him.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

You're just not going to give it up on this Gregory thing are you? You still haven't responded to the legal questions I raised regarding the definition of possession and the explanation of what is meant by de minimus infractions.

Please provide a citation to a reliable source stating that Gregory was on "very friendly terms" with the prosecutor. The only sources I have found for that allegation are right-wing blogs.

On the other hand, the fact that journalists in Washington DC are acquainted with the prosecutors office is hardly surprising. I would expect them to be. It's part of their job.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

I don't think "an American girl" who sub-heads her blog, "I have a crush on Ruth Bader Ginsburg" is a right-wing blogger:

Quote:
In this town full of lawyers it should be no surprise that this event sold out in 44 seconds. DBax and I are already on red-alert for next year. It was also the nerd event of the year as we all howled at jokes referencing everything from puns based on inane points of law to references to local political scandal (loaded SUVs anyone? Anyone?) and an absolutely amazing sentence chastising the House Ethics Committee using the names of former reps who have gotten away with murder. The attorneys were Beth Wilkinson a partner at Paul Weiss (and wife of David Gregory, aka the Silver Fox, who was snapping pictures like a proud hubby!) and Irv Nathan, Acting Attorney General for DC. Both were hilarious and Beth looked so great in her black dress and patent leather heels, I was totally motivated to stick to my overly arduous diet.

As far as the de minimus point is concerned, Irv Nathan wrote himself in the letter in which he explained that he would not prosecute Gregory,

Quote:
OAG has made this determination, despite the clarity of the violation of this important law, because under all of the circumstances here a prosecution would not promote public safety in the District of Columbia nor serve the best interests of the people of the District to whom this office owes its trust.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Correct. In other words, prosecution would not do anything to promote public safety precisely because it is a de minimus infraction that bears no relationship to the harm or wrong that the statute was intended to address.

So Gregory is close friends with the prosecutor because his wife, a lawyer, and Nathan, the prosecutor, were both at the same event and were both "hilarious."

Funny, when I researched your point, virtually EVERY link that came up was to a right-wing blog. Guess you had to do a lot of digging if that "American Girl" blog was the only thing you could come up with to support your point when I asked you to provide a citation to a reliable source.

BTW, I've been to a LOT of parties where people I didn't know were just as hilarious as I was!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Woland, none of that means / says that they were on "very friendly terms" and you know it. Samuel Alito was also at the same event, as were many other lawyers and judges.

FWIW, I also think Aaron Swartz was better connected and known than you may think.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
People closer to this than ANY of us, seem to feel the persecution of the prosecution drove Aaron to what he came to feel was his only out. What say you... no?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I love my country, but... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL