The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » NEED ADVICE: 50th Birthday party strolling & 20 minute stage show later (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Hello everybody. I wanted to jump on here and try to get some ideas on what I should be doing for this 50th I've been booked for. My style? I do a mix of mentalism and magic (visual stuff). The client also indicated he'd like a mixture of both. So Ill be doing table hopping during the "hors-d'oeuvres" part of the night - 30mins.(before dinner) then they're requesting I do a 25-30 minute stage performance in front of everybody (roughly 150 ppl). Magic is scarce in these parts so I know I can make a name for myself. I want to rehearse, practice until everything is second nature. I have a pretty nice arsenal of effects. Problem is Im a hobbyist/street magician and am just now getting into the "getting paid" thing.
So I want to do some cards but I also want variety. I was thinking to bring stuff like

- In a Flash (Sankey),Pressure, Tagged, Ultra Gum, industrial revelation, prohibition, healed and sealed, paperclipped (sankey), indecent (houchin), Branded, LIT, Look sharp, killer key, Any signed Card To Any Wallet, Shuffle, Cut, Deal (with perhaps the revelation with Burn notice of the 3 selections), Card Cubes (Ammar), bite off quarter, Puncture, Frozen (Nefesch),some TT stuff,Ignition, bill change, some elastic stuff (crazy mans handcuffs, rubber band thru hand), Empty (Marcus Eddie) maybe float some cards and napkins around. So which ones would you guys use out of these or what other ideas might you have? Perhaps some ideas on silverware, napkins, etc. It will be in a hall after all during a sit down dinner setting. CHOP (petty) is another great one but Id have to practice hard.

For the stage I'm pretty much lost at the moment. I have Sankey's Omnilope which I could get some use out of. Any good stage ideas for this type of venue? ANy good reccommended flash paper stuff or anything that will stick in their mind when they leave. I mean, I want them talking about it on the car ride home. It's difficult becasue he wants a magician/mentalist and Im usually more comfortable taking on only one of those roles. For this crowd, I need to be both, which although challenge, I very much look forward to it. I do a killer razorblade routine that's too gory for this age group. I need something crazy as hell. This will make it or break it for me. This individual is highly respected and influential in this community.

I can't wait to hear your ideas.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
What about some rope effects for your stage work.
cut and restore-professors nightmare-linking ropes.
you could also do a routien with dream bags.silk vanish
works good on stage.i would also like to add for closeup
get sharky and extreme burn.they get awesome reactions.
todd
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Extreme Burn! Yes, time to stop avoiding the task of constructing a new gimmick. Great effect! I also like taking out my fire wallet and chuckling "Man, money just burns a hole in my wallet", take out the 5's transform in to 100's saying "luckily Im a magician and I can multiply money with magic". I'd then pull out my keys on a chain and do "ignition", then follow that up with other keys on the chain (killer key, keylicious). I'd usually end that with the key rings (Sankeys 3 Ring Circus). I didn't know if ropes would be thrilling enough. But sometimes its the classics that prevail.

Thanks for the great advice!!
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Make sure you have the guest of honor help you with a routine on stage. And they should leave the stage to thundereous applause. ( Should be easy, it's their Birthday )
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Yes I was indeed thinking about getting some dirt on him from the guest of honor for some mentalism stuff. I'm looking for ways to maintain a nice rapport with the audience and to involve them whenever possible. Im a street magician so I have to realize that I'm out of my element. Ill have better space, time, angles, etc. Keep them coming .. turning out to be very helpful. Since its in March Ive even thought of mailing a prediction of something beforehand. Im actually just as nervous about the walk around "hors-d'oeurves" part as I am for the stage show (moreso for the stage). 150 people for my first time on stage will be crazy. Yet, I have this innate craving for the challenge.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
I'd stay away from the floating stuff for this gig. Sounds like you'll have enough on your plate without worrying about an ITR / loops.
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Keep in mind that strolling for 30 minutes will not allow you enough time to get to all or even most of the 150 guests. This is usually a situation to avoided, although it's not so bad, as you'll be doing a stage show, where everyone will see you. Still, I would suggest having a strategy of minimizing your time with each group-really, just going thru as quickly as possible, to distribute the magic as fairly as you can-and crisscross the room, so you don't have many disappointed party-goers. If even two people happen to mention afterwards, that they didn't get to see the magician "up-close," the question the host is left with is "Well, where was he??"
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Do a rope routine to start your show off and then when you're done place the rope in a inside jacket pocket, then get the birthday person up on stage and do something they can get invovled in, maybe a do as I do trick like the topsy turvy bottles, then you can act as if you're going to shake his hand and suddenly the two of you notice a bit of rope sticking out of your sleeve, go into the professor cheers comedy rope trick or whatever it's called to leave them laughing.

you'll want to add something to take up more time between the ropes and the topsy turvy, and add in a little bit of fun interactive stuff for the entire audience, a friend of mine does the "elephant in Denmark" thing for the entire audience as well as the bit where you cross your arms with your hands upside down and lock them together, then you turn your hands upright but the audience can't do it. gets everybody laughing.

I'm not sure how much time this would fill, you might have to add in something extra. as for wondering if ropes can be thrilling enough, do yourself a favor and take a look at this: http://www.sandersfx.com/fiberoptics_extended.html all done with no gimmicks.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
As for your close up I would just take 6 effect. 2 set of 3. I would make each set varied so 1 rope, 1 card, 1 coin for example.
Each set should have a theme. I do a set that use its the rules (dice trick),Stolen card using Vegas cards then I do LED Monte. This is all done with a history of gambling start with the history of dice then a little about Las Vegas then a modern twist on a classic street con.

I would add some classics that are good for older family people. I suggest sponge bunnies, Stargazer,

As for the stage keep it simple. I do a 3 trick piece that runs at 10 mintes. Chop would work on stage. Fiber optics is a fine call.

Working a room were you know you cant get to every one think of doing big visual stuff so people can look over if they wont to. Aslo get around the room. don't just do one conoror.

I hope I have not rambled to much. I just like to give real examples that work for me.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Here is the best advice I can give at the moment: make sure your stage material is simple to understand, easy to perform, large, and amazing to the audience. It sounds like you have experience close up but not much when it comes to stage. You don't want to think about your effects while you're performing them. The simpler the better because it gives you a chance to connect with the crowd instead of fumbling. Some easy stage suggestions I have are:

Vanishing Ketchup
Shackle Escape
Invisible deck
Egg Bag
Sucker T&R Tissue
Bill to impossible location- via TT- could be a lemon- check out Doc Eason's version
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Okay, so a rope routine seems to be a popular suggestion. I have Fiber Optics. Just have to pull it out of the library, blow the dust off and get learning. I know Professors Nightmare of course, but Ill sharpen up a nice routine with rope. Stay away from floating (I'm a floating addict so Ill have to fight myself to not do it). I'll have to make sure everyone experiences my effects in one way or another as I definitely don't want to leave out any groups. I love the professor rope comedy bit. I guess I never thought about what type of persona I want on display. I know that comedy works wonders for rapport, misdirection and many other variables. I'm pretty sure Im a funny guy (at least I think I am). I just don't want to see a tumbleweed roll by when Im looking for laughs, but that rope routine would definitely spark some smiles.

YellowCustard: I was going to bring 3 sets of 3 tricks (9 in total) based on reading other suggestions in this forum (by Jamie D. Grant). Perform 3 at one table, another 3 for the subsequent group, 3 for yet another group .. and by the time I get to my 3rd set of 3 effects I will be far enough from the first group. But now Im wondering if 2 sets of 3 might be more practical given my situation of being a tad rushed.

Ive also taken in that I have to use the KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid). I don't really want to be pulling out mercury card folds or one handed folds but Im so addicted to Sankeys "paperclipped" and Ammar's "Card Cubes" that I'll have to fight myself not to do them. To get more exposure to the large array of ppl Ill also pull out my UCCU, have a spec pick a card, sign it, then proceed to walk a few tables down and reveal the card in a gentleman wallet. (That should get me noticed).

Out of my list of tricks for my walk around, what would everybody recommend I use? I'll definitely incorporate sponge bunnies, etc. Or what ones should I be looking into?

Twistedace: All excellent choices for stage work (except Id use my invisible deck for the walk around portion more).
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 06:21, twistedace wrote:
Here is the best advice I can give at the moment: make sure your stage material is simple to understand, easy to perform, large, and amazing to the audience. It sounds like you have experience close up but not much when it comes to stage. You don't want to think about your effects while you're performing them. The simpler the better because it gives you a chance to connect with the crowd instead of fumbling. Some easy stage suggestions I have are:

Vanishing Ketchup
Shackle Escape
Invisible deck
Egg Bag
Sucker T&R Tissue
Bill to impossible location- via TT- could be a lemon- check out Doc Eason's version

Is Doc's version of Bill In Lemon better/more practical, etc. than Petty's Chop? I think I can find that one on Eason's Bar Magic vol # 2.
jackbp
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jackbp
A very good mentalism effect is Extractor by Peter Nardi - resets instantly, excellent angles and can be combined with the deluxe nested wallet for a killer ending.
jackbp
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jackbp
PS - thanks for the recommendation on get sharky, I'm relatively new to this game and having gone a little more research on it, it looks like a great effect.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ha jack
get sharky is a wonderful effect that can be used as
a closeup effect or a stage effect.and it just blows their minds.
todd
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Spokane, WA
55 Posts

Profile of AKMan
I’ve done a number of these mid-life birthdays and retirement parties. Here are three stage/stand-up things that worked for me: 1. Torn and restored newspaper (I use Anderson). 2. Bill in lemon or other impossible place. If you’re burning it watch out for smoke detectors. If you’re in a public facility you can set them off pretty easily with a burning bill (I know from experience!). 3. Card on forehead. These three effects leave lots of room for comedy byplay and adlibs and give you an opportunity to get the birthday guy/girl up on stage once. Routine them with a couple of the other suggestions from this thread and bim badda bing, you’ve got a stand-up act.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I've heard great things about Get Sharkey from all but one of my fellow magicians who warned me that the tactile experience of the cards gives them away. His were plastic-like and was caught each and every time until it went back in to the drawer. I've heard enough positive testimonials that perhaps his was a dud. Extractor looks amazing, just don't have the funds for these a the present moment. What a finish it would be with deluxe nested wallet. Couldn't go wrong with that for sure. Torn and Restored Newspaper would probably accommodate this age group. I suppose I have to remember that although the birthday boy is 50, there will be family and friends who are younger as well.

I really want to find something out-of-the box for the stage involving the birthday boy. Like I said, this is pretty much a make it or break it gig for me. I do well I get more business in this city. I don't and back to the streets I go. He's well respected and has huge pull. I was lucky enough to get the call. All I know is Im getting some great ideas here. I think the problem is that I have so many ideas for both the table-hopping and stage that Im getting overwhelmed. I need to choose whether I'll be doing mercury card folds over and over for crazy effects like paperclipped and card cubes (Ammar). Will the lighting be good enough for some "psypher" action? Will there be enough table space for Sankey's "In A Flash" and will the flame be a problem? Would a simple bit off coin-->Punture---> transpose coin to something with plash paper be a good little coin routine?
So much going through my head but thanks to you posters I am beginning to simplify.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 08:47, TheMag1cian wrote:
Will there be enough table space for Sankey's "In A Flash"

If you use routines that don't require a table you won't have to worry about table space. That takes the guess work out of it.

Damian is right, 30 min. isn't very long for table hopping. Large round tables seat 10 people so that's a minimum of 15 tables for 150 people. If you take 5 min. per table which is about the average for 3 effects, you can only fit 6 tables into 1/2 hour.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Wow. You're right. Im going to have to find short, quick effects and perform on the fly. My objectives: 1. Make the experience memorable (fry each person) and 2. Make sure everyone gets a taste somehow. I'll have to do even less than 5 mins per table unfortunately. As a magician, I'll have to adapt to the environment and go with the flow.

If you guys were in my position, Im curious as to what effects you would use for the walk around portion (variety of cards, money, TT, etc). If possible, refer to my list at to top of post of tricks in my arsenal I was considering (or add your own). So remember, if you want future gigs these tricks will be a very significant factor in your future career as a magician. You WILL get more bookings if this goes well and you WILL not if people are bored, etc. Tell me what you would use to have your name etched in their cognitive faculties of the audience?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
One can always do some larger/parlor style effects for more than one table at once... Cut and restored rope; TT magic; Thumbcuffs etc
This still allows the intimacy of the strolling by reaching more spectators at once.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » NEED ADVICE: 50th Birthday party strolling & 20 minute stage show later (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL