The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Space Towers auction battle! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
A battle is waging for Space Towers on the big auction. Anyone want to jump in now that its at $400?

Wow - CHRIS
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I saw that. Do we have two new Super Bidders?

For sure we have inexperienced bidders.

A search of "Tenyo Space Towers" under completed auctions will show that the same seller sold three of these recently for around $60.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&......=1&rt=nc

With that information I would gather that he has a supply of these and if I did not win this one I can bid on the next.

Maybe it is just two stubborn guys who don't want to let the other have it.

Anyway it is good for Tom Trix, the seller, and bad for the winner who will be grossly overpaying for a Tenyo that is not hard to find.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
I have been following this too and made the same observations.
This price is out there!
The problem lies in the fact that every time he sells one he ups the opening bid..

On an unrelated note, an unadvertised Diabolicus just sold with a big lot of magic for about $70us with shipping.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of edshern
Is it rigged to raise prices?
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 20:52, Marlowe wrote:
I have been following this too and made the same observations.
This price is out there!
The problem lies in the fact that every time he sells one he ups the opening bid..

On an unrelated note, an unadvertised Diabolicus just sold with a big lot of magic for about $70us with shipping.

I hope it was you that made that deal???!!!

Diabolicus is pure gold as far as Tenyo is concerned. Great trick.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
I don't think he rigs it, per se.
He has raised the opening bid by $10 each time one has sold.
I am just thinking that if it goes for such a high price he may raise the opening bid to some stupid number..and poor plebians like me will never afford one..
I have seen it happen before..
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 20:52, edshern wrote:
Is it rigged to raise prices?

I don't think so.

I am pretty good at this stuff and I can usually tell when something is rigged although you never know.

The same seller listed a deck of cards as the "Cards that Come with Clyde" recently.

I know that the deck he was selling (which other sellers have as well) is not the same because I needed that deck for my Clyde at one time and was able to determine that the Clyde deck is much different.

I wrote the seller and he changed the listing and even later lowered the price.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
No John, I wish!
I am saving up for a money drip.. XD
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 21:06, Marlowe wrote:
I don't think he rigs it, per se.
I am just thinking that if it goes for such a high price he may raise the opening bid to some stupid number..and poor plebians like me will never afford one..

Nothing to worry about IMO, this is an anomaly and should not impact prices.

What would be a problem is if they were to continue to do this on other items, that will drive up prices as we had last Spring with the Super Bidders.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 20:52, Marlowe wrote:

A while back there was a Melting Loop in the middle of a very large pile of magic (maybe 60 various pieces) someone was selling as a lot on the big auction site.

It was a blurry low res picture but you could make out the Melting Loop if you really looked.

The Melting Loops that people have now were not even on the radar yet so this was a rare occurrence.

When it finally sold the lot went for over $600 so either there were two people who noticed it or the other items in the lot were valuable as well and that made such a high price.

I was not one of them, it was pointed out here after the close by I think XL18.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
Now and again I will spy some Tenyos in large lots, first time I ever seen anything good like Diabolicus, though..and certainly never seen anything as rare as Melting Loops.

The lot did not have much else going for it.

I think the bidders were going for the Diabolicus and the rest of the lot was just a bonus.
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
I am also in shock watching this auction. For what it's worth I bought a sealed Space Towers from Tom and it was absolutely perfect!

Any guesses as to how much this will fetch?
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
The beauty for Tom is that if he does have another he can offer it to the second bidder as a Second Chance Offer and possibly make a double windfall if it is accepted.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Houston, we may have a problem.

One of the two Super Bidders on the Space Towers just paid $61 for an Ultra Slice in a stapled package with a huge price sticker.

That has to be a record for that trick which is always plentiful and not that expensive.

The previous two sold for $30 and $36, I sell them for $25.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I just figured out who one of the Super Bidders are.

Interesting, Very interesting.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 00:55, John Mazza wrote:
Houston, we may have a problem.

One of the two Super Bidders on the Space Towers just paid $61 for an Ultra Slice in a stapled package with a huge price sticker.

That has to be a record for that trick which is always plentiful and not that expensive.

The previous two sold for $30 and $36, I sell them for $25.

Developing Story:
After the Ultra Slice sold for $61 two sold as BuyItNow later that night for $44.95 and $49.95. Now the seller has one listed for $59.95.

Obviously there is plenty of supply.

Buyers Beware.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of edshern
John,
Since ebay uses coded names;
1- how can you figure out who someone is
2- Is the coded name always the same?

Ed
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 17:50, edshern wrote:
John,
Since ebay uses coded names;
1- how can you figure out who someone is
2- Is the coded name always the same?

Ed

1. There are many ways to match the coded name to the auction site member. None of the methods are technical, meaning no hacking or anything sophisticated like that. Mostly detective work and a little bit of luck. An example being recently someone posted a want list here and one of the rare items on the list came up on the auction site. There were only three bidders on the auction and I knew who two of them were because they had bought from me before. I was thinking the third bidder was the same person who published the list. The list publisher later confirmed he bid on the item so I knew for sure at that time it was him. As far as who the two Super Bidders were on the Space Towers, one of them I solved via clues left here on the Café, that was fun and surprising. The other one I partially solved by looking at feedback. Once you match the coded name to the member name, you are not home free. For instance if you solved my coded name you would wind up with Funstuffonly not John Mazza. From there you might stumble on my profile here at the Café and see that Funstuffonly is the name of my website. So it takes some luck and patience to solve the puzzle. I enjoy solving puzzles so I enjoy doing this when I am bored.

2. Yes, the coded name is always the same, but I think I have seen that the coded name for auction site members can be the same as another members. I think they are not necessarily unique codes which makes sense because there are only two variable alpha characters used in the name which would not yield a lot of variations, but there are millions of members.

I know what you all are thinking, this guy has too much time on his hands. I can not deny that.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
These super bidders are either very wealthy and can afford to pay whatever they want to have what they want now, or they may just be letting themselves get caught up in a bidding war for something with artificial scarcity.

As John mentioned, these were selling for $60 on eBay a few months ago and I would not be surprised if the seller has more of them.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
Quote:

And now I have seen it happen again...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Space Towers auction battle! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL