The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » 360 degree magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
Hey folks
I am used to perform close up magic at weddings and corporate events
many times they asked me to perform on a stage but I refused because the stage is in the middle of the hotel/restaurant room (im used to perform on a normal stage where all people are just in front of me) so I cant find any effect or routine that can be done 360 surrounded (except coil in mouth which I am using long time ago) .

is there any book/dvd/..... where they discuss such situation ?

Thank folks in advance Smile
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I don't know about a book ,But can sugest ,Bill Abbotts "the thing"is a good starting point for this situation.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
CIRCUS acts perform "in the round". Acrobats, trained animal acts, jugglers,etc. are "sight acts".
A magic trick has a beginning and an end. Audience must be able to see "both ends" or the trick has no meaning.

Some big "illusion" props can be done surrounded but must be revolved in many cases so that entire audience can see the effect.

As a teenager in the 1940s, I learned very quickly that I would need to be able to work almost anywhere, or I wouldn't get much work. Immediately, I started focussing on tricks that would meet that criteria. For the last 50 years, I don't "worry" about angles! (That is, I am not concerned that people at sides or behnd me will see the method. --The very few bits that might be exposed in a surrounded situation,are simply "cut" for that show.

The problem of working in the round is that roughly half the audience will miss at least half the performance.

I was booked in a Senior High School with about 1800 students. They were seated on both sides of the gym floor. The principal wanted me to work in the middle of the floor. I asked him: "Which half of the audience do you not want to see the show?" He looked confused! I continued: "Would you watch a TV show from behind the TV set?" He finally understood. I worked at one end of the gym and had two audiences! (One on my left and one on my right) The floor was empty. This "physical" situation caused the response of the group to be about half of the normal response. (basic audience dynamics) It bothered me, but the principal was happy, and the audience, also. This sort of thing has happened many many times over the years. --and I get repeat dates in those situations!--and standing ovations, too!

In the American southwest, I was booked in a Navajo Indian school, for a morning program. The evening before, there had been a PowWow. (a social and religious ceremony)attended by hundreds of people. Folding chairs were still there from the previous evening. The chairs were set in concentric circles around the 'jump circle' on the basketball floor. The principal, like the one just mentioned, wanted me to work in the circle. I asked him the same questions. The chairs got moved!

I use very few "catalog" tricks. Most of my props are "generic". (silks,rope,cards,balls,coins, etc.--all "skill stuff"--no "trick boxes, cans, pans,tubes or bags on a stick"!) The few props like linking rings, needle thru balloon, etc. are all "obviously innocent".

I don't use multiplying balls anymore, but even they can be done surrounded! (I'll explain things like that in the book I'm currently writing about my years on the road) Tricks with generic props like rope, cards,silks, etc.can generally be performed surrounded. Classics like the rings and egg bag were used by 'itinerant mountebancs" eons ago--that's why they've become classics--they can "work" anywhere.

It "sounds" like you are relatively "new". That's not bad! (When you are "green" you can get "ripe". When you are "ripe" you just get "rotten"! (Look at me!) Instead of buying props, read books. (Tarbell ETC.) LEARN PRINCIPLES AND TECHNIQUES THAT CAN BE APPLIED IN MORE THAN ONE WAY! If you understand principles, you will, in many cases, be able to look at many "things' in a catalog, and decide if they will fit your needs.
I will discuss basic CRITERIA extensively in the book (tentatively titled: "EVERY THING I OWN HAS WHEELS UNDERNEATH OR A HANDLE ON TOP".

I hope this has been helpful!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Ring and rope routines can work well when surrounded I'm talking of large rings rather than finger rings of course.
hady.87
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of hady.87
Thank you guys for your replies
(Dick)yes I am somehow new when performing on stage in front of hundred of people I am used on close up magic
I just bought Lefler suitcase and I am building a solid routine for stage show "tricks" not "illusions"
www.hadyakiki.com
will turn your mind upside down
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Hey Hady,

Hope this is of some use to you...

I was mainly a close up card guy and used to dread this sort of situation, my solution has been the following approach.

There are a few more psychological type effects that while I love performing the game would be up if performed multiple times in a situation where previous audience members might be able to overhear or would be talking to each other afterwards.

It is these tricks that I'll save and pull out in the stage/surrounded situation because its technically the same as doing it close up and the audience will only amplify the reaction.

PM me if you want me to recommend an effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » 360 degree magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL