We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which coin box set should I consider? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mojo
View Profile
New user
Clarksville, TN
34 Posts

Profile of mojo
I'd like to get up to speed on coin boxes - all I can find in my old stuff is the top to a standard Okito. Does Roy Kueppers make the Roth set (and can I get essentially the equivalent to the Roth from him for less)? I'd like to get recommendations on a very good set that's also reasonably priced. Also, are more people going with the quarter sized boxes these days now that half dollars are less commonly used? I've browsed through some of the previous discussions here already, but some are pretty old threads and it would be nice to have some fresh opinions on what the best options currently. Thanks!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Bob Swadling coin box is unique and offers possibilities that no other Okito box supplies. Mark Mason is finally releasing it. If you are a creative mind, jump on it: you will be grateful.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
itlust
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of itlust
I think I prefer boston box than okito box,a recess can holdout another coin and looks normal on spectator ...
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1063 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2484 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Over the years I've had two sets of boxes; both of which I've sold due to never actually getting around to using them.

Maybe it's just my style, but I never felt comfortable switching boxes in and out convincingly.

These days, I use The Kartis Box from Tango Magic. It's a German//Okito/Boston box all in one. It's a beautifully designed box and the weighting is the best I've ever handled. The instructional DVD is also exceptionally well produced; outlining the vast majority of things that you need to perform with a coin box, without any switching. You can find the clip for The Kartis Box on YouTube, or the Tango site.

http://www.tangomagic.com/product.php?pr......0&page=1

Just a minor point, but it's only fair to mention it. If you are going to use English Pennies for the transformation, you will need to rub these down slightly for them to fit in the box. This isn't a difficult task, as being made of copper, just some wet and dry sandpaper, and 'the job's a good'un' in a matter of minutes. If you switch some normal-sized pennies into play, you have an automatic 'Sokito' effect. This idea isn't on the DVD, but there you go - you can have that idea for free (and it's easier to switch a coin, rather than a coin box). Smile

Maybe it's just my own way of thinking but I've never considered the 'Sokito' or 'Plug Box' ending to a coin box routine strong enough to be worth the effort if I'm entirely honest.
Barry Allen

Chan Canasta - so much achieved, with so very little. A REAL Mentalist.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5236 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Magicwarehouse carried Buddha Boxes in most of the variations, okito, Boston, slot, sucker, plug, magnetic and the rounded outward (Buddha ) shape makes flip over moves very easy http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......d=BUDDHA
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1671 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Jim Z is another source for very nice boxes (similar to Roth) and his set brings 3 lids (at least mine), the others are 3 bottoms with 1
lid
Buddha boxes are nice, they came in different metals and the round shape helps to turn over the box
Look into Boston massacre by Michael Powers, he uses this box.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 01:49, Merc Man wrote:

These days, I use The Kartis Box from Tango Magic. It's a German//Okito/Boston box all in one. It's a beautifully designed box and the weighting is the best I've ever handled.

Barry, I have only 'heard' of the Kartis Box - knew nothing about it other than hearing the word. I went to Tango and watched the video. I must say, that was VERY interesting, to say the least. One of my first thoughts was that specs might look at the shape of the box and figure things out, but I know you would not be using it if that were the case. Certainly does open up some new (for me, as a regular Buddha Box owner) opportunities. Thanks for sharing that.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mojo
View Profile
New user
Clarksville, TN
34 Posts

Profile of mojo
I'm gonna have to make myself a spreadsheet to keep track of all the options - thick rim, Okito/German/Slot/Boston/etc., aluminum/brass/other, rounded/straight sides - everytime I start checking into it I seem to get more options and less direction. This is gonna take a while.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Mojo - I just went through the process of selecting the right box set for myself. Roy does make Roth's box set as well as a line of his own boxes. He is very accessible so I called and spoke with him during my search for the right box set. I ended up networking on the Café and found a set of Roth boxes which have been great for me. There are lots of great boxes on the market, PM me if I can be of any more help.

WOC
mojo
View Profile
New user
Clarksville, TN
34 Posts

Profile of mojo
After looking around a bit and thinking over your advice, I'm thinking I'll either get a Kartis or order a set from Roy Kueppers. I like the idea of not having to switch the boxes when using the Kartis. I'll be largely using Roth's book as my guide to effects - are there big disadvantages to going with the Kartis for that material? I also might be using a Topit frequently, so the box switch may not be that big a deal.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I would highly recommend a set from Roy Kueppers because for one, you get the option of choosing your material (aluminum and brass are his standards, but he can also make them in other materials), the style and finish. I love the feel and the light weight of the aluminum ones too.

Also, to answer your question, Roy does in fact make the David Roth set.

I have used many different boxes, of all different sizes (quarter, half dollar, dollar, etc.) over the years and I have a very large collection of them. Among my favorites, and in no particular order: Roy Kueppers (both his normal sets and his Roth set), Johnson Magic and Moonlight Magic. The Buddha boxes are good and they will work just fine with most routines, they just happen to look different aesthetically speaking.

The Kartis set would be okay for use with the Roth routines in his book, but I think you may have an easier time with "standard" set from Johnson or Kueppers.

I hope this information is useful to you.
mojo
View Profile
New user
Clarksville, TN
34 Posts

Profile of mojo
I ended up getting a very good deal on a used couple of boxes on "a well known auction site". I figured I'd start out with the standard stuff cheaply and play with it awhile before investing in anything fancy.

Just curious - on the Boston box I got, apparently a coin is glued into the bottom of the box. Is it usual to do this rather than just letting a coin sit there during certain parts of the routine? Kinda makes it impossible to let anyone examine the box.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4893 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea some times they do that! Smile There Is better Stuff you can do with it If you can get the coin out! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5236 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Like any other "gaff" in coins or cards - you just need to switch it out for an okito box before passing it out for examination, if you feel the need to pass it out at all.

It does kind of need to be glued ( I use a little magicians wax) but it needs held in for when you flip it over to make the "full" box suddenly go empty. If you pick the box up at that point you would leave a coin just sitting there if it isn't held in the recess somehow.

Depending on your style - they make sucker and plug boxes to be switched out for exam, sucker - the coins won't fit in it, it is just a bit too small for the coin and plug is a solid box so nothing fits. I just switch out the regular okito if I show one at all.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4893 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I would Say it does not need to be Handed Out for Examination ! But there is Much More Stuff That can be done WITHOUT A coin Stuff In the bottom!I have A Whole Book on it!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Another choice is the Duvivier coin box. The set includes gimmicks that allow alternative handlings. It is available from Hocus-Pocus.com

http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/vide......DEO1.wmv

I also own a fabulous set of four buddha boxes from Chazpro made of stainless steel, an Okito, a Boston, a sucker box, and a slot box. I am not sure they are still available in stainless, but I imagine the brass ones are quite nice also.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A note about half-dollar sized boxes: Some routines call for an expanded shell to be placed into the coin box. (E.g., many of Doug Brewer's routines in his book and DVD "Coin Box Killers"). The two that I found that accommodate expanded shells are the David Roth's coin box set made by Roy Kueppers and Jim Zee's coin boxes.

Thank you.

Jim
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I just picked up a set from Mad Hatter called "Beyond Okito" (bo box) from Viking.

It's an excellent set, solid brass and handles nicely. Comes with the BO box and a standard Okito.
I got mine in half dollar size for visibility. As I perform for larger and larger venues (and even the smaller ones) I had to move from quarters to halves for visibility.

Since I rarely use borrowed coins for my effects, I went that route.

My BO box works with both expanded shells AND unaltered english pennies. The standard Okito does not take expanded shells, however. While it takes no time at all to round down an EP, I do appreciate that they made the boxes large enough to accomodate regular english pennies.

I was a little puzzled by the BO box at first, but after getting used to it, it's a clever little thing. Some really killer effects/routines can be done with this little gem.

As usual, my order from Mad Hatter was incredibly well packed, and shipped promptly.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1165 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I love my Jim Z boxes. Here's a fun routine.

http://youtu.be/8IOAr-sXgog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which coin box set should I consider? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL